• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what's the toughest Pokémon League Conference to win if you're a pokemon trainer

What is the toughest Pokémon League Conference to win

• Total voters

fidjnr

Reaction score
I thinking what is the pokemon world's toughest regional Conference to win if you're a pokemon trainer (so far)

I don't think we can really say. The rules for all the leagues seem to be more or less the same, making the participants the only real variable. If you go to a Pokemon League and are unlucky enough to be put up against the guy who brought a Darkrai with him, for example, then that League's going to seem the toughest. But if you have to face the kid with a grass snake? Probably not so tough.

The idea that one conference is going to be inherently tougher than another is kind of silly. Trainers travel from region to region competing in conferences outside of their home region, so you can't really tell what kind of trainers you can expect in any one conference.

The only real difference is the rules. Hoenn for example, has double battle rounds, which could be difficult for people who've had little experience with them.

I don't think we can really say. The rules for all the leagues seem to be more or less the same, making the participants the only real variable. If you go to a Pokemon League and are unlucky enough to be put up against the guy who brought a Darkrai with him, for example, then that League's going to seem the toughest. But if you have to face the kid with a grass snake? Probably not so tough.

there's different regional Conference formats, rules and rounds one time in the Indigo Plateau Conference the rules state you have to battle until you're pokemon is Knocked Out, recalls their pokemon, refuses to battle or falls asleep. In the silver Conference there's the screening battles before the 16 groups of 3 round robin stage where 3 points for a win no point for a loss and 1 point for a tie. In the Ever Grande Conference has the most entrants with 512 trainers (give or take) and it starts with 1 on 1 the winner goes on to stage 2 the Top 256 Trainers take part in three Double Battles. If at least two battles are won, they move on to the finals which is the round of 32 which are full battles until the winner is decided. In the Lily of the Valley Conference is the same as the silver Conference it all starts with the screening battles then the prelim battles which are 3 on 3 then the top 8 which is full battles until the winner is decided. In the Vertress Conference the field 128 trainers the Prelims is 1 on 1 the winner goes on to the Qualifying rounds single battles top 64 is 2 on 2 and top 32 and 16 respectively it's 3 on 3 and the final rounds it's full battles for the top 8 rounds to decide the winner.

Last edited:
I dunno. It depends on the kinds of opponents you face. Not every one has to be like what Ash faced in that particular one. It's even possible they alter the rules according to how many participants there are so that the elimination process will be more efficient. If there's a low enough amount, they skip it entirely like with Sinnoh. I see nothing more difficult about the different situations, as they all involve one on one or three on three before going to the full battles. The only thing I see is that Johto perhaps is more forgiving with the Round Robin thing, since you can lose and still come out of it if you did better than the others in the group. (assuming Johto is the only one that does that, and is not one of the measures for a lot of participants above) The only "league" that is for certain more simple than the others is Orange. All you have to do is get the badges and you automatically face the Champion. This is why I'm not fully comfortable with calling it a real league, as it sounds more like a challenge than a proper league. This is also why this achievement is not looked on so highly by anyone. To even consider it equal to the other leagues is folly, regardless of what it's official standing is. As for what Ash himself faced, Sinnoh is obviously the hardest, with Hoenn being the second, although far off from what Sinnoh was.

I dunno. It depends on the kinds of opponents you face. Not every one has to be like what Ash faced in that particular one. It's even possible they alter the rules according to how many participants there are so that the elimination process will be more efficient. If there's a low enough amount, they skip it entirely like with Sinnoh. I see nothing more difficult about the different situations, as they all involve one on one or three on three before going to the full battles. The only thing I see is that Johto perhaps is more forgiving with the Round Robin thing, since you can lose and still come out of it if you did better than the others in the group. (assuming Johto is the only one that does that, and is not one of the measures for a lot of participants above) The only "league" that is for certain more simple than the others is Orange. All you have to do is get the badges and you automatically face the Champion. This is why I'm not fully comfortable with calling it a real league, as it sounds more like a challenge than a proper league. This is also why this achievement is not looked on so highly by anyone. To even consider it equal to the other leagues is folly, regardless of what it's official standing is. As for what Ash himself faced, Sinnoh is obviously the hardest, with Hoenn being the second, although far off from what Sinnoh was.

Don't forget Johto has the screening stage to test these trainers to see if there are battle ready if not it's a short stay at silver Town (the home of the silver Conference)

Wait the Unova league is now Vertress? What kind of cloud is that?

Either way there is no real difference. You could easily flush out if you go up against Tobias first but if all your pokemon are evolved and obey you and all you face are kanto Ash level trainers then any league is easy.

Each pokemon league can be considered as one of highest achievements you can accomplish in certain region, being testament to trainer skill level and how far he came during all training, battling and hard work happening prior to that. With that line of thought in mind every league conference is going to be tough obstacle for trainer to overcome gathering wide array of skilled trainers from all parts of world striving to climb to apex of such tournaments.

Therefore im not sure if there exist such thing as "toughest pokemon league conference", since every tournament of such level is going to be filled with hard competition which proved to be skilled through sole fact of managing to pass all gyms and obstacles waiting on its way before even reaching this point,.

I guess argument could be made how each competitions follow different formats, rules etc. Such as Indigo league having different battlefields and highly strict rules of what define battle causing you to lose match even if pokemon is affected by status condition(such as falling asleep). Silver conference having unique point system containing "all against all" rounds before you earn right to partake in biggest stadium. Ever Grande having double battles in one of rounds, or Vertress conference having smallest number of competitors and possibly rounds.

Which pulls with itself how some trainers might face an issue if they are not familiar, experienced enough with certain components such as diverse battle fields, double battles etc. But in essence since all league follow unique set of rules and concepts makes none of them superior to another in level of difficulty.

Since how hard some league is going to be is determined by number of highly skilled trainers participating there, and not by format it may follow.

The only "league" that is for certain more simple than the others is Orange. All you have to do is get the badges and you automatically face the Champion. This is why I'm not fully comfortable with calling it a real league, as it sounds more like a challenge than a proper league. This is also why this achievement is not looked on so highly by anyone. To even consider it equal to the other leagues is folly, regardless of what it's official standing is.

In a way i can see what you mean. Granted most gyms strayed away from traditional battle approach using different tests to measure someone skill, along with Drake being formidable opponent with his Dragonite. But looking back whole format and tournament seemed relatively simple and on paper easier to accomplish than normal leagues.

However i still view this as remarkable achievement from Ash side being only league technically he conquered so far.

As for what Ash himself faced, Sinnoh is obviously the hardest, with Hoenn being the second, although far off from what Sinnoh was.

Eh, if you ask me Johto seemed to have harder competition than Hoenn. Imo Gary and Harrison with exception of Tyson seemed to be tougher, more skilled opponents than Morrison or Katie were dealing with more experienced pokemon like reserves.

It would have to be one that was straight knock out rounds, ie if you lose your out of the comp. So that takes Johto out of the equation since it had pool match ups. Then I thought the most challenging matches to win are 6 v 6 and Hoenn started them with the top 32 rounds. So you'd have to get to the top 32 then win 5 6 v 6's in a row in order to win the whole thing. But It all really comes down to who you have on your team and who else is in the tournament and who the match ups are. In those respects Id say Sinnoh was the hardest from what we've seen so far.

I voted Hoenn, from the point of view of a random trainer coming in and seeing what needs to be accomplished in order to win. But at the same time those may have only been the rules for that particular tournament because of the amount of entry's they got that year or whatever. There's too many variables to say for sure

It would have to be one that was straight knock out rounds, ie if you lose your out of the comp. So that takes Johto out of the equation since it had pool match ups. Then I thought the most challenging matches to win are 6 v 6 and Hoenn started them with the top 32 rounds. So you'd have to get to the top 32 then win 5 6 v 6's in a row in order to win the whole thing. But It all really comes down to who you have on your team and who else is in the tournament and who the match ups are. In those respects Id say Sinnoh was the hardest from what we've seen so far.

I voted Hoenn, from the point of view of a random trainer coming in and seeing what needs to be accomplished in order to win. But at the same time those may have only been the rules for that particular tournament because of the amount of entry's they got that year or whatever. There's too many variables to say for sure

I've voted for the indigo Plateau because of two things 1st tough rules and regulations and 2nd you have to win 8 rounds to win the whole shooting match and if you lose in the top 4 there's the bronze final (3rd place playoff)

Last edited:

I've voted for the indigo Plateau because of two things 1st tough rules and regulations and 2nd you wave to win 8 rounds to win the whole shooting match and if you lose in the top 4 there's the bronze final (3rd place playoff)

Good poiint, the rules in Kanto were ridiculously strict lol

Going up against a Darkrai, a Latios, and whatever else a strong trainer like Trollbias has Can give you a hard time so you would to just go with plain LUCK and not Strategy is how I would go since you do not know what else he's got he could have even had a Rayquaza or something else and How could a Regional Leauge allow this when the Trainer could win very easily.

It really depends on who appears in the League, but if it's about entering the league and going up against the exact same opponents Ash had faced, then I'd definitely say the Sinnoh League would be the most toughest to win since Tobias would be there to troll us with Darkrai. And even without Darkrai, Paul alone would be really tough to win against...

I was tying Sliver/Ever Grande. The screenings/round-robins/Victory Tournament thing was too hyped in the first, there were LOTS of entrants (and far more 6v6s than any other League)

I finally voted Ever Grande. Full Battles right off Top 32 is too much.

If your name is Ash Ketchum, they're all equally impossible.

Well I am NOT Going to get my ass wooped by a Blaziken, Meowth or guy that was uncalled for that used my favorite person also with a Latios, and a COPLETE USELESS SCATTERBRAIN who has such a good team with a very good Lucario.

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom