• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Whats up with these 3-D games!?

pokechamp116

THE ULTIMATE PSYCHO
Reaction score
How come every time they make a normal pokemon game, its for the portable game system with not-so-good graphics? they've made 3-D games! why not make a 3-d version of Platinum or something. a 3-D game almost like Collusium or XD. I dont like the idea of stealing other people's pokemon in 3-D! but they (for some reason) refuse to make a 3-D traveling game. I dont get it! some one explain it to me.:-(

Platinum is in 3D. And what do you mean "not so good" graphics. Have you seen the graphics of Atari systems? Hell, have you seen the graphics we had little more than ten years ago in Red and Blue?

As for the reason why they don't make a 3D traveling game? There's 493 Pokémon, several with alternate forms, a complex stat system, and the game discs can only hold so much stuff of such high resolution. You want the game to be on par with the other stuff out for the Wii, you're dreaming, especially with all of the actual gameplay.

Also, Colo and XD were sucky. They tried a traveling game with the big systems. I hated, HATED the way Colo and XD looked. Don't fix what ain't broken. I actually did worry about them trying to make Colo-style graphics on the DS, and was happily relieved that they were in the same stylized overworld when the first screenshots appeared in 2006.

Also, Pokémon is intended to be played wherever you are. Try carrying your Wii with you and playing it on the train or in the car. Not so much fun, now is it?

Face it, dude, Pokémon works as a battle arena and little more on the consoles.

Also, Pokémon is intended to be played wherever you are. Try carrying your Wii with you and playing it on the train or in the car. Not so much fun, now is it?
I point my finger directly at Fire Emblem for a perfect example of this principle. Even though it actually started on consoles.

Because with Pseudo 2D like in the dppt games its more of an art then big beautiful buildings. As said by Junichi in subtler words. But yeah he takes it as more of an art and I support him for that.

Have you seen the 3D models for most Pokemon? They look like absolute crap.

I'd say we had come a long way.

Spr_1b_042.png
Spr_4p_042_m.png

Honestly, if pokemon was 3D, it would be as it is, for Wii probably and its successors, not a handheld system and at present the DS/DSi don't have enough memory to handle 3D models for all 493 pokemon, buildings, trainers and so on, plus a kinda bigger screen, like a PSP sized one might be required for a full 3D game, Platinum does a good job at the moment. The games will get graphically better with every new pokemon game and new handheld system that comes out, that's a certain thin if you look back over ages:

GenIBugcatcher.png
>
GSC_BugCatcher.png
>
DP_Bug_Catcher.png

we have defiantly came a long way from this:

Spr_1g_108.png
>
Spr_1g_001.png
>
Spr_1g_068.png

Ah Red and Blue those bring back memories.......

But dude if they made a 3-D traveling game you'd want to clear the story mode a lot more also with school and homework you'd never have any time to play unless late at night when your suppose to be in bed that's what the DS comes in handy for :)

Maybe when 3D Pokemon stops looking like crap. The Pokemon look terrible, and the people look terrible.

Something about Pokémon is that it stays very true to its roots across its sequels, and it stays very simple. It didn't become super-3D, and the stories didn't become overblown as the series moved on. I was wondering, how did you stay true to the roots, and how do you balance that? How do you avoid the temptation or the pressure to pump everything up and become like Final Fantasy, or something like that, over the years?

JM: Visually, you're saying that 3D here may be possible, but I question your question that 3D is the best technique to realize the game.
The basic concept of Pokémon is that we want to attract the beginner, so that when the beginner comes and plays, if it's 3D, it's three dimensions instead of two, so it's much more information for you to take in. We don't know if that's what they want. We want the game to be approachable and easy to understand.

Also, there is a balance that we have to make. By balance, I mean, do we want to make the scenario deeper, so we have a deeper, more complicated storyline, or do we want players to collect, catch, and trade Pokémon?

That balance is always difficult, and we try to find a better balance always. But I absolutely consider it. If 3D makes the player catch and collect more Pokémon, then that's definitely the way to go.

No, I agree. I think that you made the right decision, actually, with the game, and the look. Something that I find very cool about Pokémon is that it sticks to its roots in terms of the pixel art. Even though there are 3D polygons in the DS Pokémon, it sticks visually to a very simple style. With the battles, you stick entirely to 2D artwork, still. I was wondering if you could talk about why you stick to your roots. Maybe it is just in terms of making it simple and easy to understand, but it seems to really stay true to the series and what it's been like over the years.

JM: You think that creating 2D is easier than 3D, but it's not. It requires a lot of technological understanding and technological skills. I always talk with the art director -- "What's the value is of sticking with 2D art?"
When you look at 2D, it's like a picture. You look at the picture, and it has some flavor to it. 3D, yes, you can make the object very realistic, but 2D is something you can put flavor into. That's what we love about 2D.

source

when I said 3d I meant a traveling game like Fire Emblem or something. I know that colo and xd sucked, but it was in HD-3D or whatever. when I say buy a 3d game, I dont expect the pixels and stuff that pokemon uses on the DS and gameboy.(yes, its pixels, trust me) and I no the ds cant hold the 3d stuff i meant for the tv and stuff. sure the pokemon look terrible but still.

As much as Pokemon gets critisised for its graphics, I think they are better than everyone makes them out to be. While the handheld games don't push their systems to the limits, the art direction more than makes up for it. I personally like the art style and designs of the series, it may look simplistic but sometimes less is more.

As much as I loved PC/XD for the Gamecube, the graphics didn't seem to feel the same as other Pokemon games.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 15 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom