• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your all time favorite video game soundtrack?

My all-time favorite, at least right now, might be Deltarune Chapter 2. It's one of very few VG soundtracks that I'll listen to on my own time, I don't think there's a single song in it that I dislike.

Other than that... Donkey Kong Country, Pokémon RSE/DPPt/BW, EarthBound, Mother 3, Tetris (CD-i), Plok, Sonic Mania, Rhythm Heaven Fever, and Cave Story come to mind.

Probably very cliche, but Breath of the Wild, and also though I haven't played it, Ori and the Blind Forest!

The Great Ace Attorney
Xenoblade Chronicles
Fire Emblem Awakening/Fates/Three Houses
Pokemon Black and White/Sword and Shield
Paper Mario The Origami King
Super Paper Mario
Super Mario 3D World
Danganronpa V3
Miitopia
Mario Kart 64
Yoshi's Woolly World
Super Smash Bros Melee
Stardew Valley

Honestly there are tons more, I love video game music and it's one of my favorite aspects of nearly every game I play, but those are the top ones.

If by in general then The House in Fata Morgana has a very beautiful soundtrack that is terribly underrated (as well as the game itself too), I almost always fall back to this game's OST whenever I get burnt out by other OST's or when the mood strikes (which is often).

To go by a few favorite series in no particular order then:

Pokemon
DPPt
HGSS
SWSH

EXA_PICO universe (Ar Tonelico/Surge Concerto games)
Melody of Elemia
Melody of Metafalica
Ar nosurge

Fire Emblem
Three Houses
Genealogy of the Holy War
Thracia 776
Path of Radiance & Radiant Dawn
Gaiden & Shadows of Valentia
Awakening
Heroes

Shining series
Shining Force III (all scenarios)
Tears
Hearts

Warriors franchise
Samurai Warriors 2 & 4
Dynasty Warriors 4 & 9
Warriors Orochi 3

Metal Gear franchise
Sons of Liberty
Snake Eater
Revengeance
Guns of the Patriots
The Phantom Pain

Castlevania
Symphony of the Night
Rondo of Blood
Harmony of Dissonance
Aria of Sorrow
Circle of the Moon
Dawn of Sorrow
Portrait of Ruin
Curse of Darkness
Judgment

Final Fantasy
Type-0
IV
VI
VII
VIII
XV
X
X-2

Tales
Zestiria
Vesperia
Symphonia
Phantasia
Xillia 1 & 2
Abyss
Rebirth

MegaTen
Digital Devil Saga duology
SMT V
Nocturne
SMT IV
Raidou Kuzunoha duology
Persona 2 duology
Persona 4 & 5
Devil Survivor 1 & 2

Honorable mentions in no particular order:
Monster Hunter World & Rise
Solatorobo: Red the Hunter
Collar X Malice
Mystic Messenger
Utawarerumono (series in general)
Norn9
Starry Sky (all seasons)
AMNEƧIA
Period Cube
Bad Apple Wars
Code: Realize
Steam Prison
Super Smash Bros Ultimate
Sengoku Rance
Rance III: The Fall of Leazas (original and remake; the rest of the series has good OST in general really)
Hakuoki (series in general)
Treasure of the Rudras
NieR: Automata

I have probably missed quite a few, but I think that's enough for me to list.

Mentioning a single favorite is tough, but some VG series OSTs that come to mind would include:

Pokemon
Final Fantasy (some titles)
Baldur's Gate
Neverwinter Nights
Planescape: Torment
Icewind Dale
Knights of the Old Republic
Divinity
The Elder Scrolls (3D titles)
3D Super Mario titles
Xenoblade Chronicles
Pillars of Eternity

Noticing the most common denominator there? Most of them are cRPGs, many of which play my favorite style of music while playing games: ambient classical-orchestra.

I suppose if I really had to narrow the list down, my top favorites of all time would probably be The Elder Scrolls, Neverwinter Nights and Divinity series. Just about anything by Jeremy Soule and Kirill Pokrovsky is top-tier in my book.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl would be mine; I'd go so far as to put as the best soundtrack in gaming history.
Brawl had a fantastic soundtrack! I would definitely pin it as one of my favorite video game OSTs, too, along with Smash 64 and Melee.
It may just be my own opinion, but... while Sm4sh and Ultimate's music selections are still grand, I've been feeling as though the series' original, remixed and arranged compositions peaked with Brawl. Aside from a few of them, like the Galaga/Duck Hunt/Wrecking Crew Medleys, Light Plane, and Electroplankton, a lot of the newer tracks don't really give off the same dazzle or feel as varied, perhaps?

As far as other vidya games go, though: Game & Watch Gallery 2, Silver Surfer NES, Toy Story SNES, Mega Man 1-11, Super Mario Sunshine, Undertale/Deltarune, Wario Land 4, and Pizza Tower are pretty much my daily background playlists. Crash Bandicoot 1-3, too! They're all just so good.

Oh gosh, such a tough question. I really love the Diamond and Pearl (and BDSP) soundtrack, the Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition soundtrack, the Undertale soundtrack, the Ocarina of Time soundtrack, the Black and White soundtrack, and the Super Mario Galaxy soundtrack. But I think right now my favorite is actually the Final Fantasy VII soundtrack (original, not remake). Although it's got some misses (looking at you, Gold Saucer), the sheer emotion that a lot of the hits have far outweigh them. The soundtrack helped make the game for me, in light of the visuals.

Saying that a Smash soundtrack is my favorite sounds like cheating to me, too, but if I had to pick one, I think Brawl has the best soundtrack.

There are plenty of games with absolutely stacked soundtracks, but in general I don't think anything is able to hit it out of the park with the quality and consistency of Sonic the Hedgehog. And of that vast collection of spiky blue bangers, I think Sonic Rush does it best. Hideki Naganuma is an absolute genius and the entire soundtrack exudes a funky, vibrant energy that hits all the right marks.

Oh, gosh...

Kingdom Hearts games (especially pre-KH3. Yoko Shimomura's style and frequent use of the oboe I adore)
Zelda games
Golden Sun games
Pokemon mainline games (mainly Gens I-III, VI & VIII)
Ace Attorney games
Final Fantasy games (I haven't played many of them, though)
Okami
Super Smash Bros Melee
Civilization games

I'm sure there's more.

Difficult to choose just one:

Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon Sword and Shield
Armored Core: 4 Answer
Final Fantasy VIII and XIV
Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Forces
Fate: Grand/Order
Princess Connect: Re;Dive
Deltarune Chapter 2
No More Heroes 2
Klonoa 2
Megadimension Neptunia: VII
Kingdom Hearts II
Epic Battle Fantasy 4

Please note: The thread is from 2 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom