• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your favorite ability?

I love Guts, Flame Orb on my Ursaring owns. Sniper is good too, especially when you have a Drapion with Sniper/Night Slash/and Scope Lens. Anything that grants immunity, such as Levitate, Flash Fire, Water Absorb, Motor Drive, etc, are also great.

Technician. Watch as crappy moves magically become deadly weapons.

Technician Scyther+Aerial Ace is some awesome STAB, considering that it stacks.

Bug bite is great too because you can eat the opponents berry.

Lots of abilities are awesome!
Here are my top:
Swift Swim
Speed Boost
Technician
Levitate
Serene Grace
Adaptability

Yeah...

Thick Fat
Eccentric
Levitate
Compoundeyes
Mold Breaker
Sand Stream
Skill Link

Magic Guard is one of my favourite abilities. The ability to be immune to indirect damage immediately grants advantage to the possessor of the ability, because they are able to do certain things that no other Pokemon can do. The Pokemon that has the ability can use a Life Orb without the recoil, or is able to not be affected by the ill effects of Poison (by Toxic Orb or Toxic Spikes), or can avoid the effects of entry hazards, and the list can go on. It's interesting that all Magic Guard users have great support movepools, and the best part is that each of them have instant recovery (Clefable has Softboiled, Wish and Moonlight, Alakazam and Rankurusu both has Recover, and Shinbora has Roost! There are certain things that these Pokemon can do with the ability for example:

* Clefable, Rankurusu and Alakazam can Trick a status orb to an opponent.
* Rankurusu, Shinbora and Alakazam can swap Magic Guard to another teammate with Skill Swap.
* Shinbora can pass a status to the opponent inflicted by a status orb thanks to Psycho Shift
* Cleffa's family and Yuniran can effectively use Endeavour to bring the target to low HP at a low level with a Focus Sash, even better with weather.

You see? It's a great ability and that's why I love it.

=====

Mischievous Heart is also an ability that I would call favourite. This is also a great ability because it allows any non-attacking move to go first, which the holders of the ability have plenty of. We have Erufuun with lots of Grass status moves, Sableye with Ghost and Dark status moves, and so on. Being able to mess with the opponent before they can mess with you is very extraordinary itself! Some of the things it can do:

* Taunt to prevent status moves or entry hazards.
* Trick Room first before Whirlwind or Roar blows you away.
* Will-O-Wisp on a physical attacker before they attack you.
* Paralyse the opponent, and maybe they will be fully paralysed.
* Leech Seed to start leeching health from the opponent.
* Perish Song to start the countdown first (if the user faints first thanks to an attack, send in a trapper!).

Again, like Magic Guard, it has many uses.

=====

Chlorophyll is a nice ability that I also like. I favour Grass types, and well, I think Sun is a nice weather too, so I would say that Chlorophyll is great, considering only Grass types received this ability so far. The users of the ability can have varied roles as well, like Venusaur and Tangrowth can use strong attacks and Sleep the opponents, Doredia has great support moves to help teammates or use Butterfly Dance herself.

=====

Compoundeyes' accuracy-raising effect is very helpful, although the amount of users acquiring the move is quite limited. I suppose it's for the best. The current users of the move could benefit from the effect, which is great, like Butterfree can use an almost accurate Sleep Powder, and Denchura uses a quite accurate Thunder.

=====

Magic Mirror seems like a great ability as well, because the ability to reflect any status move is extremely helpful, since status moves are quite annoying to deal with, and when the move is reflected, the advantage goes to the player with Magic Mirror, as the opponent basically does nothing to the player, essentially giving the player a free turn. Good thing only two (fully-evolved) users have this move, thankfully.

=====

Of course, Wonder Guard. giving immunity to any move that's not a weakness is so good that the only Pokemon that has the ability basically needs it for survival. It's fun to see hacked Ghost/Dark Pokemon with this ability in action, but that's not to say that I want to be facing that type of Pokemon...

Thanks for reading.

it's gotta be Speed Boost or Static:D
Speed Boost because it's so useful to me in my strategy (hit hard, hit fast!)
and static because a lot of my favourite pokemon have it and it's probably the signature ability of my favourite type, electric!

I always liked Synchronize, since some Oddish would always use Stun Spore on my Gardevoir and I'd be like "Hah! Screw you!" Then I'd realize Gardevoir was paralyzed too and run away. But it gave me about twenty seconds of feeling like a badass.

I like Synchronize and Static but my favourite one is Shed Skin (it's very handy when my Dragonair gets rid of it's own status problems in battles).

Intimidate

"Oh, you have high attack now do you?"

*Pokemon used Intimidate"

"Not anymore"

Pickup! :p
I filled up my party slots with zigzagoon or linoone in ruby/sapphire lol.
Static, flame body, poison point, rough skin are cool.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom