• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your favorite and least favorite school subjects? And why?

CrystalGlacia

wants Chain of Memories!
Reaction score
I love school. I'll be honest. It's pretty fun. But I've always wondered why people tend to hate certain subjects.

For example, I love history. And math. And science.

I think people hate history because of the way it's presented. But I love it because I like to think of the names I read about as people. History becomes so easy to understand and appreciate when the events and major players involved are made to sound closer to home.

Now, the math and science... I've always been good at those. It's just easier for me to understand abstract things, I guess. I like school subjects that I'm good at. I gain a feeling of confidence whenever I walk into the class.

Now for my most hated classes. I've found that the teacher is practially the only factor that can make me hate a class.

My English and health classes from this previous year.

In English, it was because the teacher kept making feel like an idiot or an outcast because she kept treating all of the kids who spent middle school in mainstream English reading Mara, Daughter of the Nile better than the gifted kids who slaved away reading stuff like A Tale of Two Cities.

In health, it was because the teacher was dreadfully boring and hypocritical. I mean, she smokes. And she was teaching an entire chapter out of the textbook about why tobacco is bad for you. Really.

What about you guys?

I really like math, science, and history. Those would have to be my favorite academic classes. My absolute favorite though (which is an elective) is my band class. As for what I hate: English. It's always been my strong point until I hit 9th grade. The way you have to analyze plots in depth and write insanely long essays just scares me.

Latin, History. Subjects I also like are Society sciences, management & organisation, and informatica.

Science. I like the experiments involved to test out different things.

Like-
Math: Just way too easy for me
English: One of my weaknesses but an enjoying subject

Hate-
History: Basically the same thing over and over again, Australia was used to send convicts; I know that already, Hitler did this and that; I know that already.
Science: When two atoms combines they become a molecule.... *facepalm* when I think Science I think experiments, explosions, dissectings, not boring theory work.

School was okay but I'm glad I finished(or the equivalent to Graduated, to some of ya) and at university now.

Art was the best. My fave subject ever... Painting was a bit more fun than Design but I still liked Design. Next would've been Geography. The field trips were so much fun, and I had the best teacher ever in year 12.

And I hated... ENGLISH!!!!! I could rant on and on about how much my teachers sucked back then but I won't waste anyone's time... However I did well in speeches and monologues...

Let's see... I'll start with what I like.

English - I love this class because I love reading. I adore writing. Grammar and vocabulary are absolutely amazing. Not to mention, most of the teachers I've had for English have been consistently awesome. Yes, even my teacherr last year (who turned out to be having a romantic relationship with an upperclassman) was really nice to the students and made sure her class was a blast. So I have fun in English.

Art - Art has always been a passion of mine, even though I deem myself to not be any good. Which, compared to other artists, is completely true. Like, I can't draw men worth shit. I was sad that I couldn't take it last year, but I'm taking it this year.

Band - In particular, marching band! I love music with an even more fiery passion than English and Art! I've loved it since I started playing the flute back in fifth grade, and if I were to cite some of the biggest things that have changed my life, the Perkins High School Marching Band would definitely be on that list. I have so many more friends now thanks to the band. And our band directors are great. Mr. O and Mr. K are the greatest teachers ever.

Now for least favorite:

Math - Ugggh... I really don't know why. I've just never liked it, even though I'm really good at it. When Jr. high rolled around, I liked it even less because my 6th grade math teacher was a pervert who liked to try to look down girls' shirts or up their skirts. My 7th grade teacher, as awesome and hilarious as she was, would tend to rush me and expect too much out of me because I just happened to get near-perfect scores on state-issued mathematics tests. In other words, she stressed me out. As for my 8th grade teacher, ugh... I'd never done so badly in a math class. I barely passed. Why did I do so badly? Because he sucked at his job. For one, he strayed away completely from the books and triied to teach us his "easier" methods. They were a pain in the ass to use, but since his lesson revolved around his method, the book was practically useless because I had no idea what the fuck I was doing. So I had to get my mom to teach me how to do it instead, and that was a hell of a time easier. So then I just got tired of it and got my mom to teach me the lesson when I got home from school. Not to mention he'd rush, and you couldn't read his handwriting AT ALL. Soo while you're trying to make out the first wor he wrote on the board, he's like, "Time to move on! :D" and erases it.

It finally got better last year with Mr. Harbal. He's epic. And knows how to do his job. I actually passed with a perfect A. He waas organized, understandable, didn't rush, and was really clear in his explanations and willing to slow down and help if you needed it. Not to mention he was really nice and funny.

My favorite subjects are Science and Math, and my least favorite is either P.E. or Elective.

Favorite - PE and Band. These are one of the classes where I dont get judged on what I do and also one of the rare classes where I can express myself and do whatever I want.

Least Favorite - English and Social Studies...I hate those classes because I somehow always manage to sleep during the speeches and for the fact that those teachers hate me :p

Favourite- Science, computer classes (media arts, computer techonology etc), gym. Science is very interesting and it isn't all seat work. Comp classes are enjoyable since there's no damn annoying teacher bugging you. Gym is also enjoyable since you basically do whatever you want at your own pace.

Least favourite- Math and English. I'm just NOT good at Math. It's always been like that, and it's hard for me to do that kind of stuff. I can do some concepts, but I really suck at Calculus and such. English is just hell for me. Gr.11 English was terrible since the teacher was out to get me -.-
It was fun pissing her off though.

Thanks.

Favorite is Forensics and History. I like public speaking and history is fascinating

Least favorite is any kind of math you throw at me. I hate math.

Fav: English, as I score high, Art, fun, and any computer class, as I like going on the internet after doing the work.

Least Fav: Math, as I suck no matter what kind, History, as I find it boring, and Spanish, as I have trouble learning it.

One of my favourite's is R.S, simply because I like having a wide knowledge of different religions and cultures, also P.E's good because we don't do contact sports and I don't like contact, mearly because of my Brace.

Favorite: Physical Education / "Gym", computer classes, and Band.
Least favorite: Math, and foreign language classes.

I hate Science, my teacher's also a perv, his names Mr.Keedy so I call him mr ' Peedy '
El peverto.

Favorite: Deutsch! Meine Deutsche Klasse is SEHR fantastisch! Meine Leherin, Frau DeVere, ist nett und lustig, und ich lerne Deutsch sehr leicht und sehr schnell. Es kommt natürlich!

The first person to translate this gets serious German props.

Least Favorite: Algebra & American History. Both teachers are dickfaces. My algebra teacher is constantly bitchy and mad, and my history teacher is constantly like "AMERICA IS SO AWESOME AND OBAMA IS RUINING IT AND I'M OLD SO YOU SHOULD LISTEN TO ME BECAUSE I KILLED PEOPLE IN VIETNAM TO ENSURE YOUR FREEDOM!" Ugh.

Favorites
Theatre: Ever since I took Intro to Theatre last year, I realized that this was my most favorite class ever. The teacher was really chill and it was a great class all in all.

English: Last year, this was probably my easiest class. Actually, it's always been an easy class for me. I just never really care and so my grade suffers. Ah, well, that's what I get from dropping down from an Advanced/Honors track to the regular track. Eh, I'll get over it.

Spanish/Foreign Language In General: Foreign language has always been a strong point for me. Always has been, always will be. I'll be entering my fourth year of Spanish next year. :)

Least Favorites
Maths: Math has never been a strong point for me. Always hated it, always will hate it. That's never gonna change it. It's more of an "I don't understand what the fuck I'm doing at all." rather than a "OMFG THIS TEACHER FUCKING SUCKS!" Although I did have a problem with my Geometry teacher my freshman year when she was out like OVER 9000!!! times in one year. Seriously, she was out like once a week.

Sciences: This hasn't really been a strong point for me either. Again, it's more of an "I don't understand what the fuck I'm doing." Last year in Chemistry, my teacher did fucking suck though. Never really learned a thing except when I self-taught myself. So glad I'll never have to see that teacher again.

Health/PE: I'm not really much of an athletic person. It's been that way since I started middle school. My two Health/PE teachers in middle school were creepers, in all honesty. My freshman year, my Health/PE teacher didn't give a crap, so it was really easy. Honestly, I spent the better half of the year just chilling in class. Sophomore year, my teacher was a bit more strict, but class was more exciting because I had friends in the class. Thank God I'm done with Health/PE forever. :)

I'm in the middle with History. It's not that I don't like the way it's presented. The teachers I've had are pretty chill. It's just that it's not fascinating enough for me. Honestly, I find it to be a very boring subject.

I like English classes, especially literary ones. Art (but I didn't have a lot of this in public school...), Computer Science, Network Engineering and Physics.

Did not like Algebra very much, it is not my strong spot. I also don't like Accounting classes...

But, it should be noted that instructors can make or break classes too. I've had good instructors in math classes that made them fun and terrible instructors in Comp Sci that made them very unpleasant.

Favorite
Maths: I've always been good at it, even thought I admit it's sometimes really really boring. Anyway it also can be really entertaining and it's really rewarding, when you found out the right answer :p.

Art: Well, it's art and it's relaxing. And it wasn't so serious like many other subjects were. You could just draw/paint/whatever, without a moaning teacher. And drawing is so much fun :).

Least favorite
English: Yeah, I admit it, I seriously suck in English. Too bad that I know English is a really important language and I'd like to speak it fluently. Plus I had some horrible teachers in this subject, blaah...

Gym: All of my teachers were really horrible, so yeah, they ruined the whole subject.

Favorite: Science because I find it interesting. I remember I even would read ahead in my science text book.

Least favorite: Math, because I always seem to be bad at it. (mostly the complicated math)

The sad part...my favorite and least favorite go together a lot of times. :/

Back
Top Bottom