• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

what’s your favorite generation?

what’s your favorite generation of pokemon games?

• generation 1

• generation 2

• generation 3

• generation 4

• generation 5

• generation 6

• generation 7

• generation 8

Results are only viewable after voting.

imaperson

super overly 1000% crazy pokemon fan person
Reaction score
don’t know if this has been done before but i made this thread anyway! what’s your favorite generations?

Generation 1 because the series seemed like it had so much potential back then before reality came crashing down and the series started repeating itself in an endless cycle.

Generation IV and V would have to be my favorites. IV had Platinum and HGSS as three of my favorite games in the series, the anime for it became my new favorite for the adaptation cause of Dawn (was also the last time I actively followed the anime after it ended), and it had a bunch of my favorite 'mons introduced (Riolu/Lucario, Garchomp, Togekiss, Yanmega, Leafeon, Glaceon, Piplup line, etc.). V had my favorite story in the games, N is a pretty cool character, and also had few 'mons introduced that also became favorites.

Gen 2 followed by Gen 1, Gen 3 and Gen 4 in that order. I don't mean to sound super nostalgic, but the earlier generations were so much more exciting than the newer ones so I found myself enjoying the old games a whole lot more. #sorrynotsorry

Gen 5, easily. Gen 7 is a very close second. All the others are just kinda decent as games aside from Gen 6, which is garbage.

When it comes to the actual Pokemon designs, though, Gen 5 is still number one. Gen 7 is number two. Gen 8 is number three (despite SwSh being merely decent games, Galar had a ton of great designs). Gen 4 and Gen 6 are tied for number four (Gen 4 has some really great designs and really horrible designs, while Gen 6 is more consistently good than Gen 4 when it comes to Pokemon designs but doesn't have as many great designs as Gen 4), Gen 2 is in fifth, Gen 1 is in sixth, and Gen 3 is dead last. I really don't like most Hoenn Pokemon for some reason, their designs just feel kinda off and don't fit in with the other generations.

I've grown up in a modern era so I was aware of S/M but now I really apricate what it gave and I love Kalos soooooo S/SH were the first pokemon games I played and I just love the homey vibe S/SH gives me being English Idk I have to start S/SH from the beginning

Generation V is my favorite. Largely because I felt like it was so fresh. Somehow they made it feel very fresh even though a lot of the formula was still followed. I enjoyed the new Pokemon a lot, and I enjoyed that we only had the new Pokemon to work in before the end-game. Before Gen V, I was still using a lot of my tried and true Pokemon since Gen I in each game, so it really changed my outlook.

I mean, we'll see how the rest of Gen 8 goes. It's off to a really great start, but in the name of fairness, I only want to compare completed generations.

In that regard, I'd... honestly still probably have to give it to Gen 5. I don't rave about it like I used to, but there's a reason why I once did, and those games were super-important to me in that time of my life. I think what happened over time is simply that I realized I got everything I needed from them emotionally, and moved on. But that's not a bad thing! It says a lot that I could find something so fulfilling that I don't feel like I want or need any more of it. (And frankly, I said I wouldn't compare them yet, but from that perspective, I don't think Gen 8 has a chance at topping them - because as much as I do love SwSh, think they're better than Gen 5 in many ways, and look forward to what comes next, I just don't have that kind of relationship with these games as I did with BW and their sequels.)

Shout-out to Gen 7, which I'd put in second place. I've got an abundance of fond memories of Alola, and the story of those games is the most investing that the Pokémon games have put forth. And they introduced the Ultra Beasts - very easily my favorite set of Pokémon designs.

Gens 2, 3, 1 and 5 are my favorites though not in that order necessarily since my feelings about Pokemon changes alot. Right now I'm feeling super nostalgic about Johto and Unova.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom