• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your favourite and least favourite music from the games?

Reaction score
So, what’s the soundtrack from the games which you absolutely love, and which ones grind your gears?

My favourite tracks are:
The Ultra Necrozma Battle Music
Words cannot show how majestic this one feels. I could hear this on loop for hours and still end up liking it. They’ve somehow managed to make Necrozma feel more godlike than Arceus itself.

Rainbow Rocket Theme
One of the coolest pieces of music the games have to offer.

Distortion World Music
It feels eerie and chilling.

Notable mentions- Ghetsis' theme

My least favourite track is the Platinum Bike Music. Why did they have to give a soundtrack to the bike in the first place? It completely takes away from the BGM of various places and I'm sure I’ve missed a LOT of BGM in different towns due to this irritating music.

Celestial Tower (recycled for Dragonspiral Tower and the Giant Chasm) is my all-time favorite, followed extremely closely by Platinum’s version of the Global Terminal, Platinum’s version of the Frontier Brain battle, the Distortion World, the Ho-Oh/Lugia summoning music, Ho-Oh’s battle theme, Raikou’s battle theme from HGSS, the World Tournament final battle theme, Colress’s battle theme, both of Ghetsis’s battle themes, both Team Plasma battle themes (the original is best), Clay’s Gym theme, the Marine Tube, Humilau City, Undella Town (the quiet one that plays in every season except summer), the theme used for all the Eastern Unova routes in BW, Unova Route 22, Unova Route 23, Virbank City, Iris’s Champion battle theme, Hugh’s battle and encounter theme, the Stardom Musical, and the Meloetta Musical.

DP has the Bike theme, the Mt. Coronet theme, the Game Corner, and several Route themes that I really love but can’t remember the numbers of (I hate Sinnoh’s route system).

Going a bit further back, from RSE I love the Bike theme, the Dive theme, Route 111, Route 113, Route 119, Route 120, the Abandoned Ship, the Elite Four battle theme, Archie/Maxie’s battle theme, the Team Aqua/Magma grunt battle theme, the Rival battle theme, and the Cave of Origin/Meteor Falls theme. From GSC, I like Ecruteak City, Pewter City, the Rocket Hideout, Route 26/27, Route 38, Route 42, Dark Cave, National Park, and Tin Tower. And from RBY, my favorites are Route 3, Route 12, Mt. Moon, Lavender Town (but I think FRLG’s version is better), Viridian City, Pallet Town, Celadon City, and the Champion theme (although like Lavender Town, I prefer the FRLG remix).

The music from the newer games plays a bit differently in my head since it seems a lot more complex in its instrumentation, so I don’t generally rank it together with the music of the pre-3DS games. But the 3DS has given us some phenomenal tracks as well. From SM/USUM, I really love Ten Carat Hill, Mahalo Trail, the Alola Ferry Terminal, Mantine Surfing, the Photo Club, Ultra Warp Ride, the Ultra Beast battle theme, the Ultra Plant, Aether Paradise, Aether House, Dusk Mane/Dawn Wings Necrozma battle, Ultra Necrozma battle (though for as good as it is, I think I prefer the DM/DW version a bit more - those relentless, pounding drums are delightful), the Tapu battle theme, the Tapu ruins theme, the Thrifty Megamart theme, the Kahuna battle theme, the Rainbow Rocket HQ theme, the RR versions of Ghetsis and Lysandre’s themes, and Giovanni’s battle theme. I’m also pretty fond of the Champion remix of Hau’s battle theme.

From XY and ORAS, I really love Anistar City, Shalour City, Coumarine City, Laverre City, Route 8, the Xerneas/Yveltal battle theme, Kalos’s Victory Road, Pokémon League, and Elite Four themes, Kiloude City, the remixes for Routes 111, 113, 119, and 120, the Dive remix, the Soaring theme, Zinnia’s battle theme and encounter theme, Archie/Maxie’s battle theme, and the Rival battle theme. Lilycove City, Sootopolis City, Fallarbor Town, and Ever Grande City all get really nice remixes too. Oh, and the Kalos Gym Leader theme is underrated.

But I am still leaving a LOT out of both of those groups. The soundtrack of the games is the one area in which I have, for the most part, been constantly impressed and satisfied with their work.

So as for the tracks I’m not very fond of... I think the ORAS remixes somehow managed to take the best parts out of the Team Aqua/Magma grunt battle theme and the Elite Four battle theme, and I really liked both of those in RSE. So I’ve never been very happy about that. And I really, really cannot stand the Pokémon Village theme from XY.

Ultra Necromza and Vs.Wally are my all-time favourite Pokémon tracks. The piano at the beginning gives the Ultra Necrozma battle a majestic and imposing atmosphere, which really fits considering its strength and status as the main antagonist. Wally's theme is hotblooded to indicate his growth into a powerful trainer despite his illness. Imo his theme wouldn't feel out of place in a Tales game. I like both of Cynthia's themes too. The piano is elegant and serves as a "calm before the storm" before the Champion battle - it compliments her elegant design too imo. The battle theme itself is much faster by comparison, and it's this difference that makes me love both themes.

My least favourite tracks are ORAS and USM's remixes of the Aqua/Magma Leader themes. Imo it doesn't really capture the same feeling as the original, but that could just be my nostalgia for RSE talking. I'm not fond of USM's remix of Cyrus' theme for the same reason.

These games have really good music and I could go on forever, but some ones that come to mind quickly are..

Battle themes: Gym Leader (RSE), Elite Four (SM), Johto Gym Leader (GSC), Champion Theme (RSE)
Cities/Towns: Floaroma Town (DPP), Verdanturf Town (ORAS), Ecruteak City/Cianwood Town (GSC), Canalave City (DPP)
Areas: National Park (GSC), Tin Tower (GSC), Sea Mauville (ORAS), Relic Castle (BW)
Also all the ending themes are good, but especially the ones from ORAS and DPP

Edit: I'm not a huge fan of the pokemon ride themes (the land ones) from SM

Last edited:
Music is literally my thing and there’s no way I could just pick even a few favorites to talk about. However, one of my favorite things in music is the use of themes and motifs, and so one track that stands out to me at the moment is the Sinjoh Ruins from HGSS. The piece does an amazing job at perfectly blending the Johto Ruins music, Sinnoh’s Mount coronet, and the short motifs of the three Sinnoh Legends. I love it. I can’t get enough of it.

While I don’t really have any tracks that I HATE, I can think of one that sort of had me disappointed. The Hoenn Sealed Chamber music was one of my favorite tracks in RSE, and I feel like they simply ruined (lolpun) it in ORAS. Now, it’s purely my own opinion, so I’m not trying to knock anyone for liking it. It’s a wonderful track in its own right. But compared to the original, I don’t think it lives up.

Favourites: Kanto Routes 1, 11, Johto Route 29, Hoenn Routes 110, 119, 120, Sinnoh Routes 205, 206, 210, 203, 225, Unova Routes 10 and 23, Cerulean City, Indigo Plateau, Lake of Rage, Rustboro City, Fallarbor Town, Dewford Town, Granite Cave, Floaroma Town (Night), Eterna City, Spear Pillar, Mt. Coronet (Snowy Area), Distortion World, Wellspring Cave, Icirrus City, Opelucid City (White), N's Castle, Kalos Victory Road, vs. Lugia, vs. Raikou/Entei/Suicune, vs. Lance, vs. Hoenn Gym Leader, vs. Kyogre/Groudon/Rayquaza, vs. Hoenn Elite Four, vs. Steven, vs. Barry, vs. Cynthia, vs. Dialga/Palkia, vs. Giratina, vs. Galactic Grunt, vs. Unova Gym Leader, vs. Cheren/Bianca, vs. Ghetsis (B2/W2), vs. Wally (OR/AS).
Least Favourites: Dragon's Den (it's too high-pitched), Opelucid City (Black) - too modern, Castelia City, Nimbasa City, Lacunosa Town, Twist Mountain, Stark Mountain, vs. Alder.

I heard the original version of Dragon's Den for the first time today... For a few seconds because it was so grating.

My memory for which music goes where is sadly underwhelming, but since I'm playing Soul Silver right now I feel like mentioning the music in Goldenrod. It sounds cute and welcoming :3

There's just too much music spread between Gen I, II, III, and VI that I love. All of those games were jam-packed with themes I loved. The other generations' music is mostly forgettable with a few exceptions (Dragonspiral Tower being one). I'll try, though:

Generation I: Just too many. It's all memorable to me at this point.
Generation II: Also too many, but I specifically loved the music in the games, so I can get some... Union Cave (Listening to it now it reminds me of the beginning of Part 2 of Stravinsky's Rite of Spring, and I love that so much), every single battle theme in the games (especially love the Generation I remixes and the Rival battle theme), Route 42, Viridian Forest... I could go on.
Generation III: Abandoned Ship, Sealed Chamber, Mt Chimney, Victory Road
Generation VI: Route 4, Victory Road, Kalos Power Plant, Route 15, Route 18, Battle! (Champion), Lumiose City, Anistar City, Battle! (Lysandre), etc.

As for my least favorite, probably almost definitely Route 104 from the Generation III games (and remakes). The beginning of it has always been annoying to me.

I really hate the pokeride and bicycle music (or skates?). It sounds terrible and it takes away from the music of the area you are traveling in.

I prefer not to dwell on the low points (which definitely exist), so here are my favorites:

RGBY: Introduction, Pallet Town, Wild Pokemon, Trainer Battle, Gym Battle, Mt. Moon, S.S. Anne, Route 11-15, Lavender Town, Silph Co., Victory Road, Champion Battle

GSC: Opening (Crystal), Title Screen, Wild Pokemon (Night), Rival Battle, Dark/Ice Cave, Sprout Tower, Ruins of Alph (both sides), Unown Radio, Johto Gym Battle, Team Rocket Battle, PCC, Bicycle, Ecruteak City, Burned Tower, Tin Tower, Route 42, Suicune Battle, Clair's Theme, Route 26-28, Champion Battle, Battle Tower, Vermilion City, Kanto Gym Battle, Pallet Town

RSE: Rival Battle, Oceanic Museum, Route 113, Drizzle, Sealed Chamber, Regis Battle, Mew Battle

FRLG: Viridian Forest, Legendary Battle, Mystery Gift, Memory P (OST release only)

DPPt: Dialga/Palkia Battle (and that's being kind)

HGSS (GB Sounds): Route 46/47, Route 24, Cerulean City, Cinnabar Island, Cianwood City (regular)

BW: Relic Castle, Alder's Theme, Route 10, Victory Road, Pokemon League, Elite Four Battle, N's Bridge, Ending, Village Bridge (without creepy lyrics), Route 11-15, White Forest, Relic Song

B2W2: Hugh Encounter, Team Plasma Battle, Johto Gym Battle, Johto Champion Battle

XY: Successor Battle, Snowbelle City, Xerneas/Yveltal Battle

ORAS: Zinnia Encounter, Rayquaza's Legend, Zinnia's Sorrow

SM/USUM: Totem Pokemon Battle, Ultra Necrozma Battle, Farewell Lillie

Last edited:
If I dislike music, I typically forget it even exists. So I honestly can't remember any tracks in Pokemon that I don't like so much. My feeling towards less favorable tracks anyway tends to be "meh" anyway rather than outright dislike.

Most of the music I really like is in Gens 3, 5, and 7. But I'll point out a track or two from most of the generations.

I found myself going through the DPP soundtrack today for some reason, and I noticed that a lot of it feels really dreary and somewhat depressing to me. I’m not sure why. It’s not that I think the songs aren’t well composed, but something about them is oddly stifling, which makes the songs difficult for me to listen to casually. I don’t think I get that sense from any of the other soundtracks, which all feel more lively and energizing.

That's pretty much it, but they can also feel energizing and grating at the same time (trainer battle theme, Barry battle theme and some others).

I found myself going through the DPP soundtrack today for some reason, and I noticed that a lot of it feels really dreary and somewhat depressing to me. I’m not sure why. It’s not that I think the songs aren’t well composed, but something about them is oddly stifling, which makes the songs difficult for me to listen to casually. I don’t think I get that sense from any of the other soundtracks, which all feel more lively and energizing.
You talking about slow and dreary music just made me remember my ACTUAL least favorite music, from those games and possibly one of the worst ever XD

Valor. Lakefront. WHYYYY is it so gross? Like, it feels like it’s dragging the whole time, even worse at night. And how is it that every midi instrument used somehow sounds out of tune? Ugh, I hate it so much, sorry for the rant. To anyone else, if it’s one of your favorites, I’m sorry for hating on it. But you’re wrong, it’s terrible :p

Valor. Lakefront. WHYYYY is it so gross? Like, it feels like it’s dragging the whole time, even worse at night. And how is it that every midi instrument used somehow sounds out of tune? Ugh, I hate it so much, sorry for the rant. To anyone else, if it’s one of your favorites, I’m sorry for hating on it. But you’re wrong, it’s terrible :p

Oooooh, that one. At first I thought you meant the actual Lake theme, which I am a big fan of, but yeah no listening to Valor Lakefront is like pouring a thick poison into my ears.

Can someone please tell me WHY do we need music for the bike? Players will end up missing the actual area's music thanks to the bike's music.

Gonna use this as a springboard here and say that despite my previous post, I actually do love the DPP Bike theme. It might even be my favorite Bike theme. Either that one or Hoenn’s.

I’ve never really had a problem with the Bike theme interruption, and yet I still despise the (land-based) Poké Ride theme. I wonder why that is. I suppose if I had to pinpoint a reason, I’d say that if I’m using the Bike, it’s usually just to quickly cut across somewhere I’ve already been through, but Poké Ride is also needed for clearing obstacles so I’m often forced to hop up on Tauros even when I’d rather just walk around at my own pace. Well, at least they had the sense to not let it override Vast Poni Canyon’s music.

Gonna use this as a springboard here and say that despite my previous post, I actually do love the DPP Bike theme. It might even be my favorite Bike theme. Either that one or Hoenn’s.
It’s not bad, but it’s certainly not worth missing all the music pieces I missed while playing...

I’d say that if I’m using the Bike, it’s usually just to quickly cut across somewhere I’ve already been through, but Poké Ride is also needed for clearing obstacles so I’m often forced to hop up on Tauros even when I’d rather just walk around at my own pace. Well, at least they had the sense to not let it override Vast Poni Canyon’s music.
I guess that’s why our opinions differ- I used the bike a lot and in new areas because it was faster and more efficient.

My problem with DPPt's OSTs are that they are just so darn forgettable. There wasn't a single piece from that game that actually stuck out to me aside from Route 209's, and that is only because it sounds remarkably like a part from ELO's Telephone Line, which I had heard for the first time back when I was playing through Diamond. lol

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom