• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your favourite and least favourite music from the games?

My problem with DPPt's OSTs are that they are just so darn forgettable. There wasn't a single piece from that game that actually stuck out to me aside from Route 209's, and that is only because it sounds remarkably like a part from ELO's Telephone Line, which I had heard for the first time back when I was playing through Diamond. lol
Eh, I think I have to disagree there. This is all purely opinion-based, so make of that what you will, but I actually love some pieces from DPPt’s soundtrack. There are iconic ones to me like Mt. Coronet, the themes and motifs of the legendaries, and of course route 209 (thanks Smash for making that a thing). Also, a lot stick out to me as personal favorites, like Rowan’s Laboratory and the Gym Leader Battle music. Oh, can’t forget Cynthia’s awesome theme. A little overdone at this point, but it’s still pretty good.

I think it’s all just a matter of taste, really. Except the Valor Lakefront. Nobody should like that.

I wasn't too keen on the music from X and Y. What I did like was great, but it pales in comparison to other core games' soundtracks. I don't know. I just didn't care for the "elegant" French-themed music. I didn't dislike it, but it was a least fave, by far.

I LOVED the music in Ruby/Sapphire. For all the faults of that game, the music was superb. The updated music in ORAS was great, as well. Sun and Moon had a great soundtrack, too. While I am at it, I have to give RBY and GSC some love because, hey, nostalgia for Game Boy 8-bit music.

EDIT: Oh, I just remembered some music that I really disliked and I probably didn't mention it because I would prefer to forget about it- the music from HGSS. I was not a fan of the remixes at all. The one that irked me the most was the Kanto Gym Leader theme.

Last edited:
@Aulos @BigBadButterfree

To be clear, I actually love a lot of the DPP soundtrack, it’s just that a lot of it has a really weird, stiff atmosphere for me when detached from the game. But there are a lot of songs that I would say are memorable for me. I mentioned the Bike theme already as one of my favorites, but the Route 205 theme is pretty much the first tune that comes to my mind if I think “route theme,” and the same goes for Sinnoh’s Gym Leader theme if I try to think of any “Gym Leader theme.” Regarding the route themes in Sinnoh, when I’m actually playing the game, I really love how patient and unconventional they are. Not that I can’t appreciate something like the blaring brass of Hoenn’s Route 110 theme or the raw, triumphant energy of Kanto’s Route 4 theme (easily an all-time favorite), but the slow orchestral pieces for Sinnoh’s routes tend to have a really unassuming nature, trying not to dominate your intake of the setting. Instead, the music sort of diffuses throughout the area, filling in the empty space and amplifying the feeling of a grand expanse to be explored. To me, it really helps make the routes feel bigger than they are. Route 203 is a good example, I think, of a highly unconventional route theme. I can’t quite put it into words, but it feels like it’s doing every opposite of what the more typical route themes for that point in any of the other games had done.

My other favorites from the DPP list are:

- Lake
- Sandgem Town
- Rowan’s Theme/Rowan’s Lab
- Global Terminal
- Oreburgh Gate
- Oreburgh City
- Oreburgh Mine
- Eterna Forest
- Eterna City
- The Underground
- Hearthome City
- Route 209
- Solaceon Town
- Route 210
- Game Corner
- Canalave City
- Route 216
- Snowpoint City
- Sunyshore City
- Fight Area
- Route 225
- Stark Mountain
- Route 228
- Battle Tower
- Battle Hall
- Battle Factory
- Frontier Brain Battle
- Pokémon League (the slow, melancholic piano one)
- Pokémon League Building (the really epic one with the drums)
- Cynthia’s Theme
- Cynthia Battle
- Team Galactic Building
- Team Galactic Headquarters (This was my favorite villain HQ theme until the Lysandre Labs theme came around. Although now that’s been dethroned in turn by the Rainbow Rocket HQ theme. :p)
- Team Galactic Grunt Battle
- Team Galactic Boss Battle
- Mt. Coronet
- Distortion World
- Uxie/Mesprit/Azelf Battle (that delightful fucking bass)
- Dialga/Palkia Battle
- Giratina Battle

Global Terminal, Battle Factory, Distortion World, and especially Platinum’s version of the Frontier Brain Battle theme are for me all 10/10 God-tier tracks. Though I guess those are all specifically from Platinum rather than DP? Huh.

Although can I just emphasize my own feverish hatred for the Sinnoh Victory Road theme? Oh, it’s wretched.

Last edited:
R/G/B/Y - New Game / Bill's House (Masaki's House)
Really gives me the sense that I'm starting an epic adventure. I've yet to hear an arrangement I like more than the original GB version.

XY - Rout 8
It plays on several routs but 8's the easiest to get to. I love this song so much I thought it should have been used in the trailer! Shinji Miyazaki's take on it for the anime is just as brilliant!

Please note: The thread is from 6 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom