• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your favourite Ash Pokemon?

PikachuSmasher

"Nai! Try! LETS HAVE A FIGHT!"
Reaction score
As of JN079 what's your favourite Ash Ketchum Pokemon? Mines a tie with Greninja and Dragonite currently

My main favourite one is easily Pikachu since I love it very much but the other regions include Bayleef for Johto, Sceptile for Hoenn, Buizel for Sinnoh with Infernape a close second, Krookodile for Unova, Hawlucha for Kalos, both Lycanroc and Incineroar for Alola and Dragonite for the Journeys team.

- OS (Kanto): Charizard
- OS (OI): Snorlax
- OS (Johto): Totodile
- AG: Sceptile
- DP: Infernape
- BW: Krookodile
- XY: Hawlucha
- SM: Incineroar
- JN: Dracovish

Overall? It's tough. Pikachu is among my favorites too, as well as Bulbasaur and Squirtle. I would probably have to pick Charizard. It was sometimes hard to like Charizard given how disobedient it used to be in the beginning, but overall I love the development it went through, as it went from his most unreliable Pokémon to one of his biggest powerhouses and greatest friends. It remains one of Ash's most interesting Pokémon in my opinion. Plus it plays a huge role in my favorite Pokémon movie.

Kanto/OI: Muk, Squirtle
Johto: Totodile
Hoenn: Glalie
Sinnoh: Torterra, Gliscor
Unova: Scraggy
Journeys: Gengar, Dracovish
I don't have an answer for XY or SM yet since I'm still getting through those...

It's incredibly hard for me to pick favorites when it comes to this (as evidenced by how several regions here have more than one answer lol, I can't choose :wynaut:) but I think that just goes to show how good a lot of Ash's Pokémon are. My favorite overall is Pikachu of course (closely followed by Muk), but even then there are still so many others that I like. I always loved how serious and responsible Bulbasaur was, Sceptile and Swellow were both really cool, Infernape's story was great, and Sirfetch'd's personality has really grown on me over time. I could probably tell you at least one thing I like about any of his Pokémon. But in the end, I think I just like some of the silly ones the most...
( Side note: if Gengar got more screentime, it could easily be one of my top 3 favorites. I'm sad we don't see it more often. ;_; )

Kanto/OI: Muk, Squirtle
Johto: Totodile
Hoenn: Glalie
Sinnoh: Torterra, Gliscor
Unova: Scraggy
Journeys: Gengar, Dracovish
I don't have an answer for XY or SM yet since I'm still getting through those...

It's incredibly hard for me to pick favorites when it comes to this (as evidenced by how several regions here have more than one answer lol, I can't choose :wynaut:) but I think that just goes to show how good a lot of Ash's Pokémon are. My favorite overall is Pikachu of course (closely followed by Muk), but even then there are still so many others that I like. I always loved how serious and responsible Bulbasaur was, Sceptile and Swellow were both really cool, Infernape's story was great, and Sirfetch'd's personality has really grown on me over time. I could probably tell you at least one thing I like about any of his Pokémon. But in the end, I think I just like some of the silly ones the most...
( Side note: if Gengar got more screentime, it could easily be one of my top 3 favorites. I'm sad we don't see it more often. ;_; )
YES TORTERRA

Kanto: I really love ALL of them, but the one I genuinely love more than the others is Bulbasaur. I've always loved his personality, his story, and his role on Ash's team. He's such a unique pokemon, too, and his relationships with the other Kanto pokemon were always super sweet to see on screen, like when he sang a lullaby to Togepi, had a serious talk with Pikachu, and literally every time he interacted with Squirtle and showed another side to him. :bulbaLove:

Johto: Bayleef is another one of my top favorites in regards to Ash's pokemon. Her personality is super cute, her development in regards to her relationship with Ash was interesting to watch, her relationship with Pikachu was also super interesting, and I'm going to have to admit, I also have a bit of a bias towards the species as well. Also, Bayleef being Ash's canonically first female pokemon was actually kind of nice, especially considering how she was generally portrayed as strong.

Hoenn: Sceptile, all the way.:enzap: His rebellious personality, his "rivalry" with Corphish, his constant tendency to try and act "cool" all the time...and don't even get me started on his backstory. It was one of the more interesting ones and I genuinely felt my heart break for Teecko when I saw its tree get destroyed. And it having that habit of putting a twig in its mouth all the time was simultaneously cute and cool. I've honestly always enjoyed Sceptile whenever he showed up on-screen.

Sinnoh: Ooh, toughie~ But I'm going to have to say...Buizel. :bulbaLove: Though, Torterra comes rather close for me. I've always liked Buizel's personality and his battles were always super interesting to watch too. I loved the relationships he had with Ash and Dawn, and the development he got with Pikachu for the Pastoria Gym Badge was pretty cute, not gonna lie. I like how Buizel has a tendency to show-off at times and is honestly a really cute pokemon to me. I think weasels are cute. So what? :whistle:

Unova: Snivy, all the way! Her prissy attitude always stood out to me, her interesting backstory stood out to me as well, and I loved her relationship with characters like Pignite, Emolga, and Ash. Her dialogue exchange with Pikachu in the Pikachu Shorts are also pretty hilarious, and I think show off her personality really nicely. She's the "tough love" type of character, which is honestly one of my favorite tropes and one that I'm actually not tired of. Her "language" is special, and its shown. ;)

Kalos: It honestly has to be a tie between Goodra and Greninja. I liked both of their backstories, I LOVED Goodra's arc, and I loved Greninja's personality before it...well, you know, kinda got pushed aside, but still! Goodra was an enjoyable character to me from the start, and despite its rushed development, I loved the relationship it had with Pikachu, Wooper, and most of all, Dedenne. Greninja's subtle partnership with Talonflame was also super cute to me, and his episode with Hawlucha was honestly rather humorous to watch considering their clashing personalities. Also, Goodra is cute. And Greninja has these in between the lines moments that are also really cute. Like when he covers his face with Frubbles as a Froakie. That was beautiful. :wynaut:

Alola: Yikes, why are all of these so tough to answer? I'm going to have to say another tie between Incineroar and Lycanroc. I loved their personalities-Lycanroc especially, their rivalry with each other, their respective development, their rivalries with other pokemon, their relationship with their teammates, and their stories. Incineroar had a story that struck me as bittersweet from the very beginning. And the fact that there was actually subtle build up to this was another aspect I appreciated. Also, Meowth's relationship with Incineroar was very much appreciated and very adorable. :bulbaLove:

I'm gonna be honest, I love ALL of Ash's pokemon, despite favoring some over others. Charizard, Bulbasaur, and Bayleef are my all-time favorites. I've already talked about why I love pokemon like Snivy and Goodra, but I also like pokemon like Butterfree and Leavanny-who had limited screen-time, yet still managed to make a strong impact on me. I loved Krookodile's capture episode and genuinely felt bad for it when it lost against Pikachu. Poor thing wanted a rivalry but didn't get it... And Unfezant does NOT deserve the hate it gets. She was friendly, a team-player, and tried her best. At least she won Ash a badge, okay? Some pokemon don't even do that much.

My thoughts on loving all of Ash's pokemon aside, my all time favorite is obviously Pikachu, both for his personality and because of his relationships. Seriously, Pikachu's interactions with other pokemon and humans alike are either super sweet, super cute, completely hilarious, nice to watch, or just pure gold. Actually, I'd argue that's one of the main reasons why people like Pikachu, despite his spotlight hogging tendencies during some regions. That, and, his friendship with Ash is something that pretty much ninety percent of the actually unites on and results in episodes like JN030 splitting the fandom in half if its portrayal of said relationship isn't satisfactory to the fans(seriously, all of the people I've seen have either hated this episode or seldom enjoyed it OR loved this episode or preferred it over most episodes of Journeys).

And Pikachu is honestly just a likable pokemon. He can be childish sometimes, but more often than not takes on the big brother role, or takes on a position of leadership with no questions asked. Ever since his development finished, it was clear Pikachu was Ash's most reliable pokemon, and even more so when Ash asked Pikachu to "keep bearing with him" on his journey to being a Pokemon Master at the end of BW. The other pokemon often look up to Pikachu, despite some not fully respecting Pikachu completely at first. Like how Charizard and Pikachu had to sort out their issues; how Buizel fought with Pikachu during the Pastoria Gym Badge before he got reminded of how they were teammates and supported and CARED about each other; how Bayleef as a Chikorita often rejected Pikachu's friendship out of jealousy, yet Pikachu was still determined to keep trying to be Chikorita's friend; how Meowth has repeatedly stabbed Pikachu in the back, with even the harshest betrayal in BW(which I still call BS on Meowth not feeling a single damn thing after that...) genuinely angering Pikachu, yet Pikachu still keeps trusting him(and you can actually tell Pikachu is self-aware, as in some episodes Meowth tricks the group, Pikachu still shows hostility towards Meowth at worst and mild irritation at best); and don't even get me started on how Pikachu's role in being a mentor figure for Dedenne led to the latter receiving some actual development and showing said development off by helping Goodra's development. :bulbaLove::bulbaLove::bulbaLove:

Also, he shares a brain cell with Ash and runs it half the time, which is the best part about these two dorks and you can't convince me otherwise. :p

[EDIT] There's also the fact that Pikachu does stuff like this all the time:
tumblr_nhcynyZYFa1sr6y44o1_500.gifv

Last edited:
Despite of its short period in Ash's team, the build up until its last evolution and characterization was surprisingly better than most Pokémon that joined Ash's team after it for a good period of time, so I will go with Butterfree among my favorites. The only downside was, once its progression of evolution to its last stage was achieved, the writers just forgot about its existence and got rid of it as soon as possible to make room for other species. Wasted oppurtunity. For a comparison, I think Butterfree showed more personality and passion towards success than Pidgeotto, which was in Ash's team pretty much the entire Kanto saga.

Charizard is also one of the most iconic Pokémon in Ash's team since forever, if not the one. Although its gag was dragged to a degree that its presence costed Ash a huge, disappointing loss in the league, its progression continued and the writers didn't drag its gag forever. Once the Orange Islands saga arrived, Charizard became aware of Ash's ambition and care for him. Disobedience did not receive such well treatment in the future of the anime.

Sure, Ash had more Pokémon with cool appearances and decent progression. But I also like to note Snivy here. I think it was the star of his Unova team, and it is a crime that it wasn't treated as the ace of the region. But it stands out for me, so there is that too.

I like most Ash's Pokémon overall, such as Lapras, despite of its short appearance Primeape, Goodra and such, but these three in particular stand out for me.

Kanto: honestly Squirtle, cause bulbasaur was great, but wouldn’t evolve. Charizard was a d*ck after evolving, though he came to respect ash a little bit in OI. Butterfree and Pidgeot were released, and 29 of the 30 tauros weren’t used, Primeape had 2 episodes, Kingler and Muk werent even used until the league, Lapras, released, Snorlax, while one of my favorite Pokémon, is asleep half the time, and Pikachu is Pikachu

Johto: Heracross. Its personality is the best. Bayleef has a crush on a freakin’ human, so just, no! Larvitar: not ash’s… Totodile is too antsy. Cyndaquil didnt even evolve into Quilava until Sinnoh. Noctowl: Ash’s first shiny. Donphan: participates in like 3 battles… Beedrill: Who?

Hoenn: Sceptile: before I pull the Darkrai card, it defeating Normans Slaking while not even fully evolved..that alone is too impressive to overlook. Torkoal: crybaby. Aipom and glailie were caught too late into advanced, and corphish is just the comic relief. Swellow is just bad except for it’s fight against Latios. Yea Tobias’ Latios.

Sinnoh: Infernape. It’s development is the best out of all Ash Pokémon and watching it beat Paul down in the Sinnoh league was utterly satisfying. Buizels one problem is that it never evolved, other than that, it’s fine. Torterra didn’t win a single battle after evolving, so that’s a problem #justicefortorterra. But whats really a problem is something that people are going to get ticked off about. Gible is amusing for the first few episodes it was around, but it gets tiring after a while, with them going so far as to use it as a device for tracking Piplup. Gliscor didn’t need to exist because, well, staraptor. Staraptor is Ash’s best bird of all because thunder armor was crap.

Unova: Oshawatt. It’s character development is definitely the best of Unova. Abandoned fire starters gets tiring after 3 times. Stubborn grass starters also are overused in the anime. Boldore: Ash’s first and worst rock type. Krookidile: not Boldore. Leavanny: Ash’s 2nd best bug because Heracross exists. Scraggy: Ash’s 3rd egg that hatched under his care (still never evolved). Unfezant is unpleasant. Palpitoad was pointless.

Kalos: Greninja is 2nd to none when it comes to strength, and it should’ve won the lumiose conference. Three flying types are a waste of 12 moves, and im glad he stopped catching the regional birds. Goodra is ash’s best dragon type because I was never fond of Noivern, Naganadel, or Dragonite.

Alola: Lycanroc because remember: he won the league. Incineroar never battled and Rowlet,is referred to as god now. Melmetal: Ash’s second shiny. Naganadel had literally 3 battles!

PWC (not fair to call it Galar): Sirfetch’d: because Dracovish has barely battled at this point. Dragonite: pointless. Gengar: some point, he traveled with a haunter a while ago. Lucario: entire point, gen 4 remake promo.

Please note: The thread is from 3 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom