• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Whats your most favorite, and most disliked series in the anime, and why?

Eh, I've said it at least a dozen different times, but why not again :D

Most favorite: XY(&Z)
To summarize:
  • Ash's progression
  • Ash's awesome design
  • battle animations that are action-packed and satisfying to watch
  • the team dynamic overall
  • Serena and Clemont's story and development
  • Bonnie being best friends with Zygarde
  • STEVEN STONE and the Mega Evolution specials
  • Diantha receiving more focus than the games
  • Sycamore's heavy involvement throughout the series
  • well-written Team Flare arc
Most disliked: BW
To summarize:
  • unfaithful adaptation of the games
  • unfaithful adaptation of the game characters
  • not using established game characters and instead creating outrageous original characters
  • CAMERON
  • Ash's regression
  • N appearing way too late (still better than not appearing at all though)

My favorite series was the OS. I suppose nostalgia does play a factor, but even watching it now, I feel like that series is the most appealing to me. It does a great job of combining humor with entertaining battles, fun characters, and genuinely memorable episodes. Still, it had its serious moments and found a nice balance between the two. The main characters also had a really nice variety of personalities and depth to them. Their development was really noticeable from beginning to end , which I always appreciate. The Pokémon themselves even felt like their own unique characters, with interesting traits and personalities. I just feel like the whole series was so vibrant and is so entertaining to watch, no matter how many times I've gone through it.

My least favorite was XY. To me, it just didn't feel like Pokémon. They tried way too hard to be edgy, and it felt really forced and contrived. The characters were also really cardboard and the development felt little to none. I really felt that the main group had no chemistry and were just lazily thrown together. XY remains the only series I haven't watched the whole thing. I stopped watching at some point because I was literally just so bored and felt like I was wasting my time, and reluctantly picked it back up when XYZ started. I still have no desire to watch the episodes I haven't seen.

At the moment, OS and the Advanced/ Battle Frontier saga are my top.

Least.... I lost interest with BW and Johto broke apart for me.

Middle ground is S/M. (Got good episodes and some major high lights. The Lillie and Silvally episode as well as the Poipole episode being the few. The rest depends on if it can keep my interest.)

My favorite is between AG and DP. Whichever one I watched most recently becomes my favorite, so I can't really decide because they are both awesome. I finally realized I do this, so I have decided I have to say they are tied rather than have my recency bias put one over the other.

And the least favorite is Sun and Moon and it is an absolute landslide. I thought I didn't like BW very much, but now that I finally watched SM (I let the episodes stack after the sneak preview, because I knew I would have trouble with it at first and in the past when I let episodes stack I was able to like series better I wasn't sure I would like, and I finally finished catching up) BW seems incredible by comparison (I'm re-watching BW right now, and all I had seen in 3 months was SM, so watching it has been like a breath of fresh air, and I honestly am really enjoying it, if you didn't like BW, you should try this out). Sorry to people who like SM, I can see some people could like it, but its a completely different type of show in my opinion, and not the type of show I like. Although it is a show with a Pokemon theme, and it is [very] loosely based on the Pokemon games, it is no longer a Pokemon adventure, which is quite upsetting. I'm going to go over my specific reasons below:

1. Adventure: Literally my favorite thing about Pokemon in general is the adventure, so when they take that away, it really destroys the show for me. I think there was a lot of hope early on that the school-thing would be short lived, but it now seems very likely to last the entire series. I really liked how the show was always a journey, traveling to new areas constantly, finding surprising encounters on the road, camping out each night. I think this adventure helps the characters to get closer together and it is a lot of fun. There is inevitably more nature, more new anime exclusive locations, and less predictability. In Alola we see the same places a lot of times, and unfortunately some really cool places get glossed over and are seen in passing. Some really cool traveling scenes are destroyed by quick transportation. The recent episodes where Poni islands could have been explored instead took everyone about 10 minutes to get to the altar of the sun, a journey that is quite difficult in the games. I remember being really upset we never got an adventure through Santalune forest in XY, now I feel that way about almost every part of Alola.

2. Slap-stick comedy: I think the comedy of this series is lazier than in the past. Rather than come up with funny situations, they just start dancing or being stupid and hoping that is humorous. I honestly think AG was a very funny series, without having to be stupid/annoying. Again, i get some people like the slap-stick, its just not for me. (I also get there was always some slap-stick, it just wasn't relied upon like it is now). I find myself shaking my head about 40% of the time watching SM. Even some episodes that have the chance to be really good have certain impactful moments destroyed by this comedy style. The comedy has completely destroyed Samson Oak's character, a character that could have been pretty interesting, being Prof Oak's cousin.

3. Character development: Is the problem too many main characters, or not enough? I honestly think Ash and Pikachu are the only main characters now, which is kind of unfortunate. Again, what I liked so much about AG and especially DP, is you could have stretches where you don't know who the main character is. There is no question in this series Ash is the only main character. I don't hate Ash, but he isn't all that interesting (and SM has simplified his personality anyway - if you thought he was stupid in BW, I mean seriously go watch it again, he may have done dumber things, but he didn't act as immature as he does in SM - Iris would have a field day in Alola calling him - and everyone else - a kid). Sophocles is the worst character in the history of Pokemon, and although I like Mallow and Lillie, they do almost nothing. 3 characters have 1 Pokemon each, that have used 3 or less moves each and essentially don't battle at all anyway. And considering how cool these characters were in game, they really reduced them for the show. Lillie, in my opinion the best game character in Pokemon history (in Sun and Moon specifically - not ultra) still gets some good development, but it is vastly reduced from the games, whereas the other 4 classmates all lose their captain position and only Kiawe has any battle skills to speak of.

4. Lack of Battles: Doesn't need much explaining, there is just a huge lack of battles. A lot of times they imply a battle is happening, then skip it, or we see a very small amount of it.

5. Lack of goals: So what is Ash doing? He (sort of) did 3 trials, but only actually did 1. He doesn't train very often (his Pokemon seem to train on their own more than he trains them), I don't think his goal is to become the ultimate student, since he complains about homework. Why does Mallow go to school, she just cares about cooking? Lana's goal is even more vague than Misty's was, does she just want to be good at fishing? Does Sophocles want to be less of an annoying wuss, because I don't see that developing? Lillie being at the school is the only one that makes sense, because her goal is to learn and get smarter. The entire series has a lack of direction, about half the episodes you could watch in any order apart from maybe 30 seconds of where Lillie is at in her ability to touch Pokemon.

6. Art style: I really love the Pokemon art style, I think it has been tremendous, that is until now. I get people saying the animation quality can be better, but I'm not seeing it. One of the big claims is that this new style can show more emotion, but rather than show emotion, they just resort to gag faces more than they ever did. I feel like past series did an excellent job of showing different emotions, but SM just throws in annoying gag faces (i'm not claiming this never happened before - just far less frequently). As far as battle animation (who knows, they never battle) I really don't think its much (if at all) better than XY, and certainly not worth the trade off in art style. Side note: Ash looks like he has a mustache. I think they changed the art style to save money, not to improve the show, and its really unfortunate.

7. Not fun (in my opinion): When I was a kid I didn't like going to school, and guess what, that meant I didn't want to watch a tv show about going to school. Maybe kids now are a ton different than I was (well I guess kids then were too), but I don't want to "relate" to a show and have it be repetitive of what my day was like, I want to go on an adventure, take a break from my boring regular life and see something amazing. That is what Pokemon always was, but SM takes that away more than I could have imagined. Although amazing things can still happen, they make the everyday very mundane in this series. We may have a two week break where things seem to be getting better, but them wham, back to school and boring. Anyway, I have never liked television shows that can be similar to regular life, because I live my regular life, I don't need to watch someone else live one. I get that we haven't reached that extreme yet, but this series is just more boring than I would like for something I am taking time out of my day to watch.

Sorry about all that, I have been holding in all my complaints about the series for a long time and wanted to get it out. I just have been really upset because I feel like I lost my favorite show, because unlike BW just being a slightly less appealing series in the same style, I feel like SM isn't really even the same genre. I want to say I'm looking forward to gen 8, but I'm really worried its not going to improve. I think the story has to improve, although I have this unrealistic worry he graduates and goes to high-school in some other region. I don't think the art-style will ever return, which is really sad, although the movie art style (higher budget) is still very good. I like to read Dogasu's website after I watch old Pokemon episodes, to see what was different in the dub to the original, and I am comforted by one thing I read there. In early BW he was very worried that the team rocket trio's personalities were gone forever. Although they didn't return to DP quality, they were fairly normal in XY, so I hope that maybe the show can return to fairly normal again after SM.

Last edited:
My favorite is between AG and DP. Whichever one I watched most recently becomes my favorite, so I can't really decide because they are both awesome. I finally realized I do this, so I have decided I have to say they are tied rather than have my recency bias put one over the other.

And the least favorite is Sun and Moon and it is an absolute landslide. I thought I didn't like BW very much, but now that I finally watched SM (I let the episodes stack after the sneak preview, because I knew I would have trouble with it at first and in the past when I let episodes stack I was able to like series better I wasn't sure I would like, and I finally finished catching up) BW seems incredible by comparison (I'm re-watching BW right now, and all I had seen in 3 months was SM, so watching it has been like a breath of fresh air, and I honestly am really enjoying it, if you didn't like BW, you should try this out). Sorry to people who like SM, I can see some people could like it, but its a completely different type of show in my opinion, and not the type of show I like. Although it is a show with a Pokemon theme, and it is [very] loosely based on the Pokemon games, it is no longer a Pokemon adventure, which is quite upsetting. I'm going to go over my specific reasons below:

1. Adventure: Literally my favorite thing about Pokemon in general is the adventure, so when they take that away, it really destroys the show for me. I think there was a lot of hope early on that the school-thing would be short lived, but it now seems very likely to last the entire series. I really liked how the show was always a journey, traveling to new areas constantly, finding surprising encounters on the road, camping out each night. I think this adventure helps the characters to get closer together and it is a lot of fun. There is inevitably more nature, more new anime exclusive locations, and less predictability. In Alola we see the same places a lot of times, and unfortunately some really cool places get glossed over and are seen in passing. Some really cool traveling scenes are destroyed by quick transportation. The recent episodes where Poni islands could have been explored instead took everyone about 10 minutes to get to the altar of the sun, a journey that is quite difficult in the games. I remember being really upset we never got an adventure through Santalune forest in XY, now I feel that way about almost every part of Alola.

2. Slap-stick comedy: I think the comedy of this series is lazier than in the past. Rather than come up with funny situations, they just start dancing or being stupid and hoping that is humorous. I honestly think AG was a very funny series, without having to be stupid/annoying. Again, i get some people like the slap-stick, its just not for me. (I also get there was always some slap-stick, it just wasn't relied upon like it is now). I find myself shaking my head about 40% of the time watching SM. Even some episodes that have the chance to be really good have certain impactful moments destroyed by this comedy style. The comedy has completely destroyed Samson Oak's character, a character that could have been pretty interesting, being Prof Oak's cousin.

3. Character development: Is the problem too many main characters, or not enough? I honestly think Ash and Pikachu are the only main characters now, which is kind of unfortunate. Again, what I liked so much about AG and especially DP, is you could have stretches where you don't know who the main character is. There is no question in this series Ash is the only main character. I don't hate Ash, but he isn't all that interesting (and SM has simplified his personality anyway - if you thought he was stupid in BW, I mean seriously go watch it again, he may have done dumber things, but he didn't act as immature as he does in SM - Iris would have a field day in Alola calling him - and everyone else - a kid). Sophocles is the worst character in the history of Pokemon, and although I like Mallow and Lillie, they do almost nothing. 3 characters have 1 Pokemon each, that have used 3 or less moves each and essentially don't battle at all anyway. And considering how cool these characters were in game, they really reduced them for the show. Lillie, in my opinion the best game character in Pokemon history (in Sun and Moon specifically - not ultra) still gets some good development, but it is vastly reduced from the games, whereas the other 4 classmates all lose their captain position and only Kiawe has any battle skills to speak of.

4. Lack of Battles: Doesn't need much explaining, there is just a huge lack of battles. A lot of times they imply a battle is happening, then skip it, or we see a very small amount of it.

5. Lack of goals: So what is Ash doing? He (sort of) did 3 trials, but only actually did 1. He doesn't train very often (his Pokemon seem to train on their own more than he trains them), I don't think his goal is to become the ultimate student, since he complains about homework. Why does Mallow go to school, she just cares about cooking? Lana's goal is even more vague than Misty's was, does she just want to be good at fishing? Does Sophocles want to be less of an annoying wuss, because I don't see that developing? Lillie being at the school is the only one that makes sense, because her goal is to learn and get smarter. The entire series has a lack of direction, about half the episodes you could watch in any order apart from maybe 30 seconds of where Lillie is at in her ability to touch Pokemon.

6. Art style: I really love the Pokemon art style, I think it has been tremendous, that is until now. I get people saying the animation quality can be better, but I'm not seeing it. One of the big claims is that this new style can show more emotion, but rather than show emotion, they just resort to gag faces more than they ever did. I feel like past series did an excellent job of showing different emotions, but SM just throws in annoying gag faces (i'm not claiming this never happened before - just far less frequently). As far as battle animation (who knows, they never battle) I really don't think its much (if at all) better than XY, and certainly not worth the trade off in art style. Side note: Ash looks like he has a mustache. I think they changed the art style to save money, not to improve the show, and its really unfortunate.

7. Not fun (in my opinion): When I was a kid I didn't like going to school, and guess what, that meant I didn't want to watch a tv show about going to school. Maybe kids now are a ton different than I was (well I guess kids then were too), but I don't want to "relate" to a show and have it be repetitive of what my day was like, I want to go on an adventure, take a break from my boring regular life and see something amazing. That is what Pokemon always was, but SM takes that away more than I could have imagined. Although amazing things can still happen, they make the everyday very mundane in this series. We may have a two week break where things seem to be getting better, but them wham, back to school and boring. Anyway, I have never liked television shows that can be similar to regular life, because I live my regular life, I don't need to watch someone else live one. I get that we haven't reached that extreme yet, but this series is just more boring than I would like for something I am taking time out of my day to watch.

Sorry about all that, I have been holding in all my complaints about the series for a long time and wanted to get it out. I just have been really upset because I feel like I lost my favorite show, because unlike BW just being a slightly less appealing series in the same style, I feel like SM isn't really even the same genre. I want to say I'm looking forward to gen 8, but I'm really worried its not going to improve. I think the story has to improve, although I have this unrealistic worry he graduates and goes to high-school in some other region. I don't think the art-style will ever return, which is really sad, although the movie art style (higher budget) is still very good. I like to read Dogasu's website after I watch old Pokemon episodes, to see what was different in the dub to the original, and I am comforted by one thing I read there. In early BW he was very worried that the team rocket trio's personalities were gone forever. Although they didn't return to DP quality, they were fairly normal in XY, so I hope that maybe the show can return to fairly normal again after SM.
I Agree; I Stopped Watched Sun & Moon because of these reasons. . . along with Mimikyu being shown as a Psychopathic Nightmarish little Imp Who wants to Murder Ash's Pikachu. . .
also:

@Neo Blaze
Here's the Main thing that Shows WHY I Love Mimikyu and Why I See it as an Poor Little Adorable little Creature who just wants to be loved. . . and Despise the Anime's Portrayal of this Pokemon!!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO_dO3mMboQ

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom