• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your opinion on pre-release hype?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Pronouns
  1. He/Him
Hype. Either takes the form of a mood or a train run by Reggie Fils Aime, Phil Spencer, or anyone who prefer to be the conductor.
For some people hype is a way to get excited about games they want so that they know what to expect when it releases (or lack thereof if they avoid the pre-release to stay fresh).
For different people it's a double edged sword that can be used to make you like a game, but if it doesn't turn out that way it can backfire. ( I am in this camp for reference)
For others still it's nothing more than a way to poorly market games.
Many gaming websites and Youtubers such as IGN and Gamespot as very much part of the hype train, which can shape your opinion of these sites just as much as their reviews do.
So I ask you, what is YOUR opinion on hype?

I enjoy pre release hype. Not just the hype that's new trailer after trailer of either game-play or story. I mean hype purely meant as excitement. So like the cool dances Nintendo did for Mario Odyssey or even how South Park did tie in episodes for their games at launch. If its a game I'm looking forward to I love hype as it keeps me excited during the sometimes long waits for launch.
As much as I love hype I absolutely agree that its a double edged sword. There are some companies in particular that I hate because they do a hype train for all their games but then they usually come out lacking or unfinished. Hype is nice but its good to remember that things are not always as the developers want them to appear.
As for hype from places like IGN or YouTubers, ect... well unless its for a REALLY lesser known title that I want others to discover I stay away from it. There is a difference in paid for marketing and paid for opinions.

The most recent hype train that I can remember that ended in disappointment was For Honor. The most recent one that ended in awesomeness Id say Injustice 2/Persona 5/Final Fantasy XV. I think those three all vaguely came out in the same season?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom