• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

What's your pitch for a new "Regional Mechanic," and how would it tie into the plot?

agent3xq

Reaction score
Every region introduced since X and Y has had some sort of mechanic that makes it unique- Kalos had Mega Evolutions, Alola had Z-Moves, and even Hoenn, a remake, introduced Primal Reversion.

My question is, what mechanics have you designed, and how will they tie into the story for the region they're part of, and will it be introduced in a remake or a new region?

Armors could be cool. Ancient ones and new science ones. Items that pokemon or human created in the past that have effects of transformation like mega stones but work short. They could fit in with Z-moves and Max moves and protecting from them like a immunity, from weather, entry hazards and have secret own ability. Would make pokemon slower and reduce accuracy but could boost stats, change type. Would take item slot. The armor could get deactivated by oponents move or loose power after 3 or 5 turns but could be reused after switching and charging up.

Ancient/Sacred/Cursed seals(pokemon order&chaos or might&magic)- magic related, could reduce hp or make user faint after some turns for allowing the user to use all hidden and secondary abilities at once. Could last 3 turns. Would add extra special effects to every move. Boost special or physical stats signifincantly. Could type change or add type or not. Could be painted white, black glowing seals like in the anime giant Gengar and Alakazam had.
With Obedience problems!!!!
Good and destructive magic.
A region where You need to choose between power and right.

_

Cross Fusions.
Pokemon C-fusions but done with new and old pokemon. Some chosen ones in double and triple battles. Concrete pairs. For 3 or 5 turn duration. 20 more powerful forms or pokemon with use of 40 pokemon. Powerfull could be lasting like megas till faiting or like G-forms or activate those. Maybe moves from both pokemon
Mixed with two abilities or a new one?
Imagine with a pokemon that could summon a partner like a token pokemon via move or ability during a single battle.
You would have something like Slowbro/Slowking but for 3 or 5 turns or till fainting. A region where double and tripple battles originated from.

But hope they will try to focus one generations on creating new megas, z-moves and G-max forms first or add some new ones in future.

Last edited:
Time travel, era variants and extinct/futuristic Pokemon. These would work best for Johto thanks to good old Celebi (which is even supposed to bring eggs from the future), not to mention the prototype designs.

I've also considered artificial mutations like Mewtwo, but that could be tricky from an ethical standpoint.

My idea for a new regional mechanic is called Synchronous Spirits. They're basically non-Pokémon guardian spirits of the region, and are essentially Pokémon's version of summoning you would find in other RPGs. While summoning in most RPGs will have the summoned entity fight for your party, this wouldn't really be optimal for keeping the Pokémon themselves in the spotlight. Instead, they are summoned to deliver an assortment of power-ups to your party depending on the Synchronous Spirit you summoned. In order to obtain a Synchronous Spirit, you must acquire their respective summoning charm by completing a certain task or puzzle.
In general, Synchronous Spirits work as follows:
  • In order to summon a Synchronous Spirit, you must have a Pokémon of a specific Egg Group hold the spirit's summoning charm.
  • Rather than being limited to a specific Pokémon, the summoned spirit is capable of working with your entire party. You can still only use one Synchronous Spirit per battle though.
  • Each Synchronous Spirit gives you three different power-ups for your team, each of which will always be one of three effects each:
    1. One stat boosting power
    2. One ability-changing effect
    3. One other effect not covered by the previously mentioned boosts
  • Rather than a turn-limitation, there's a certain MP gauge that depletes whenever you use a skill. If it reaches zero, then said spirit is dismissed.
Last but not least, Synchronous Spirits can also double as playmates for your Pokémon in Amie/Refresh.

I would love if they made trainer classes something more meaningful. For instance, maybe in this region, Pokemon trainers can awaken latent powers in themselves rather than their Pokemon, similar to the likes of Sabrina and her psychic powers. However, these would be used in battle to help specific Pokemon. Like, maybe a psychic trainer type would give a passive boost to their Pokemon that either are psychic or know psychic attacks. I don't know the specifics of this idea, but that could be cool. I'm not sure what every class would be, cuz I haven't figured out whether it should be one class per type or make classes have 2 or 3 specialty types, like the psychic/medium could be ghost and psychic.

Or, as the current games seem to love, just make some ugly accessory on your wrist that picks a type and does this for you, if my original idea is too outlandish.

I imagine a Chinese region being divided in 5 kingdoms, based on their five elements: Water, Wood, Fire, Earth and Metal. I think many final forms for many of the native Pokemon could have forms based on those elements, with some kind of held item they would change form or maybe depending on the area. That way you could have, for example, a Water, Grass, Fire, Ground and Steel Pikachu.

I imagine a Chinese region being divided in 5 kingdoms, based on their five elements: Water, Wood, Fire, Earth and Metal. I think many final forms for many of the native Pokemon could have forms based on those elements, with some kind of held item they would change form or maybe depending on the area. That way you could have, for example, a Water, Grass, Fire, Ground and Steel Pikachu.

I imagine a region divided into two sides that use different color schemes and aestethic themes. They're owned by rival noble families and thus are in a feud with each other. The main character, pseudorival, and rival are from a village thats neutral cuz its in a small island in the middle of a river.

Wild pokemon are regular, but the noble families and their servants\hires use gems to change their pokemon's color scheme and type to their own, even changing the moves. You get those gems by fighting and beating them, even the starters get those forms.

So basically in the story you initially go to the side that can be reached from the island via a bridge. You have a battle with a knight that is your first gem user and is the equivalent to a first gym leader, using a level 5-7 Pokémon. Exiting the knight's palace the rival and pseudorival note that the knight's pokemon were different than usual. Then a odd looking girl runs to you and explains about the gems, then the odd girl goes away.

Then you go next town over and you fight a knight using two level 10-15 Pokémon. Then you fight another knight that uses two level 15-20 Pokémon. And the fourth knight uses a team of three level 20-25 Pokémon.

Eventually you reach the castle and fight its head noble, who uses three level 25-30 Pokémon. You win and you get a gem of their noble house, which they tell you to use on your starter. Your pseudorival and rival then remark that the starters have now turned to look like and have the types that the knights and head noble used. This is also when you learn that the odd looking girl is the daughter of the head noble and is this region's Lillie.

You go back to your hometown, where the pokeprof gives you surf so you can now surf on the other side of the river. Here you fight other four knights. The fifth knight has a team of four level 25-30 Pokémon. The sixth knight has a team of four level 30-35 Pokémon. The seventh knight has a team of five level 35-40 Pokémon. And the eighth knight has a team of five level 45-50 Pokémon.

Then you meet the noble's daughter again, and also meet the son of this side of region's own head noble. You discover that they have crushes on each other or at least want to befriend each other, but that they have to act on the feud.

So eventually you fight that boy's head noble parent, who has a team of six level 50-55 Pokémon. You win and he gives you the other gemstone which you then equip on another of your pokémon. The head noble then says you can't do that (as in, you can't have a team that equips both sides' gems) because of the feud, but then their son and the other head noble's daughter rebel and decide to end the feud, then lightly kiss each other in a cutscene.

Then you come back to the hometown and the prof says that you've saved the region from the feud. The eight knights have become gym leaders instead. You've become the Champion, and your pseudorival, rival, noble girl, and noble boy have become the Elite Four. (youngest set of elite four ever!) Post game there are some changes like:

both kind of gems are now buyable at pokemart, alongside another type of gem the neutral gem which show the newfound love of the two families.
You can rematch knights, head nobles, and even your elite four friends.
Some people can fight you in the Champion room to dethrone you. Those are: the Prof, the two head nobles, a minor noble from each of the two families, a maid\servant from each of the two families, the first knight, the fifth knight, and the first Youngster you fight on Route 1.

My idea for a mechanic would be fusion, BUT with a twist. A universal item called the Union Stone will be used rather than a separate item for every fusion. It would be called Unision, the name is the combination of fusion and unison. This one, unlike the other ones, is a permanent form change, but you're able to separate the two Pokemon whenever you want. This mechanic would be introduced in Unova and the earliest Unision that you're able to get access to is the combination of your starter and a regional rodent. But off course not every Pokemon is able to perform Unision, basically, the color of the background will tell you who can do it and once used on a Pokemon, the second Pokemon in the party will also have the same background color as the first Pokemon you used the Union Stone on. This would eventually be used to restore the Original Dragon by performing Unision on Black Kyurem and Reshiram or White Kyurem and Zekrom.

Unision might also change a Pokemon's secondary typing, it depends on the combination. As an example, an Unision between Lucario and Zoroark would result in the combined Pokemon to have the Dark-type rather than the Steel-type. But the secondary typing might not even match any of the separate Pokemon's typings, Metagross and Magnezone would result in the secondary typing of Flying instead of Psychic or Electric.

I would love if they made trainer classes something more meaningful. For instance, maybe in this region, Pokemon trainers can awaken latent powers in themselves rather than their Pokemon, similar to the likes of Sabrina and her psychic powers. However, these would be used in battle to help specific Pokemon. Like, maybe a psychic trainer type would give a passive boost to their Pokemon that either are psychic or know psychic attacks. I don't know the specifics of this idea, but that could be cool. I'm not sure what every class would be, cuz I haven't figured out whether it should be one class per type or make classes have 2 or 3 specialty types, like the psychic/medium could be ghost and psychic.

Or, as the current games seem to love, just make some ugly accessory on your wrist that picks a type and does this for you, if my original idea is too outlandish.
I think it could be incorporated into an Amie-Type feature when interacting with a lot of Pokémon of a type builds your affinity towards it, and at the highest rank gives you the Trainer Class certificate and boosts. That way it could be easily removed during competitive battling if needed to, and would cause significantly less clutter feature and mechanic wise in my opinion.

I imagine a region divided into two sides that use different color schemes and aestethic themes. They're owned by rival noble families and thus are in a feud with each other. The main character, pseudorival, and rival are from a village thats neutral cuz its in a small island in the middle of a river.

Wild pokemon are regular, but the noble families and their servants\hires use gems to change their pokemon's color scheme and type to their own, even changing the moves. You get those gems by fighting and beating them, even the starters get those forms.

So basically in the story you initially go to the side that can be reached from the island via a bridge. You have a battle with a knight that is your first gem user and is the equivalent to a first gym leader, using a level 5-7 Pokémon. Exiting the knight's palace the rival and pseudorival note that the knight's pokemon were different than usual. Then a odd looking girl runs to you and explains about the gems, then the odd girl goes away.

Then you go next town over and you fight a knight using two level 10-15 Pokémon. Then you fight another knight that uses two level 15-20 Pokémon. And the fourth knight uses a team of three level 20-25 Pokémon.

Eventually you reach the castle and fight its head noble, who uses three level 25-30 Pokémon. You win and you get a gem of their noble house, which they tell you to use on your starter. Your pseudorival and rival then remark that the starters have now turned to look like and have the types that the knights and head noble used. This is also when you learn that the odd looking girl is the daughter of the head noble and is this region's Lillie.

You go back to your hometown, where the pokeprof gives you surf so you can now surf on the other side of the river. Here you fight other four knights. The fifth knight has a team of four level 25-30 Pokémon. The sixth knight has a team of four level 30-35 Pokémon. The seventh knight has a team of five level 35-40 Pokémon. And the eighth knight has a team of five level 45-50 Pokémon.

Then you meet the noble's daughter again, and also meet the son of this side of region's own head noble. You discover that they have crushes on each other or at least want to befriend each other, but that they have to act on the feud.

So eventually you fight that boy's head noble parent, who has a team of six level 50-55 Pokémon. You win and he gives you the other gemstone which you then equip on another of your pokémon. The head noble then says you can't do that (as in, you can't have a team that equips both sides' gems) because of the feud, but then their son and the other head noble's daughter rebel and decide to end the feud, then lightly kiss each other in a cutscene.

Then you come back to the hometown and the prof says that you've saved the region from the feud. The eight knights have become gym leaders instead. You've become the Champion, and your pseudorival, rival, noble girl, and noble boy have become the Elite Four. (youngest set of elite four ever!) Post game there are some changes like:

both kind of gems are now buyable at pokemart, alongside another type of gem the neutral gem which show the newfound love of the two families.
You can rematch knights, head nobles, and even your elite four friends.
Some people can fight you in the Champion room to dethrone you. Those are: the Prof, the two head nobles, a minor noble from each of the two families, a maid\servant from each of the two families, the first knight, the fifth knight, and the first Youngster you fight on Route 1.
welcome to the unova region in a nutshell

welcome to the unova region in a nutshell
It does have some similiarities to Unova, mainly that it's more plot-heavy and that the head nobles and their kids are a bit like this story's Ghetsis and N respectively. But it has many differences.

1: There are no legendaries in play, the gems have their role in the plot and on the cover is the same non-legendary, but with the gems equipped. There would be a mythical though.
2: The two noble houses do encourage each other to still use Pokémon. The feud started because when the first humans settled in this region, the leader commandeering the expedition ended up having twin sons. Both sons grew up and they both claimed the land. Then they split, each of the brothers building a different settlement and staying isolated from each other. So each of the sides built a different culture. When the brothers died, alchemists from each side put the soul of each brother in a tree that now is in the courtyard of their respective noble palaces. Those trees started growing gems, and both of the noble houses started using the gems as a symbol to distinguish themselves. The gems also affected the hair, eye, and perhaps even skin color of members of each side, as they have grown up and lived with the gems for so long. So now each side has a distinct culture and aestethic from the other, and they battle each 1000 years to see who is truly the best of the two. So, yes, it is a bit like Unova's backstory. The last of the two battles between the two sides happened the day before the story begins. But there were a few others before it. With the first one being 1000 years after the original human settling of the region.

It also has something of Veronaville in sims 2

hmmm I could see a fusion between Rotom and Meltang during a double battle.
Union stones for both pokemon that would fuse but in singles when u use it and it faints both faint. They could be strong as megas and use two abilities.

I think starters from a new generation could cross with each other creating 3 new forms. Hmm could work. Reinculus with Gothitele. 2 mono types create a dual type. Kling Klang with Dusknoir a ghost/steel. Many monotyped and single stages could get use in single and double battles.
Would allow them to mix and play with some more.

My idea for a mechanic would be fusion, BUT with a twist. A universal item called the Union Stone will be used rather than a separate item for every fusion. It would be called Unision, the name is the combination of fusion and unison. This one, unlike the other ones, is a permanent form change, but you're able to separate the two Pokemon whenever you want. This mechanic would be introduced in Unova and the earliest Unision that you're able to get access to is the combination of your starter and a regional rodent. But off course not every Pokemon is able to perform Unision, basically, the color of the background will tell you who can do it and once used on a Pokemon, the second Pokemon in the party will also have the same background color as the first Pokemon you used the Union Stone on. This would eventually be used to restore the Original Dragon by performing Unision on Black Kyurem and Reshiram or White Kyurem and Zekrom.

Unision might also change a Pokemon's secondary typing, it depends on the combination. As an example, an Unision between Lucario and Zoroark would result in the combined Pokemon to have the Dark-type rather than the Steel-type. But the secondary typing might not even match any of the separate Pokemon's typings, Metagross and Magnezone would result in the secondary typing of Flying instead of Psychic or Electric.

hmmm I could see a fusion between Rotom and Meltang during a double battle.
Union stones for both pokemon that would fuse but in singles when u use it and it faints both faint. They could be strong as megas and use two abilities.

I think starters from a new generation could cross with each other creating 3 new forms. Hmm could work. Reinculus with Gothitele. 2 mono types create a dual type. Kling Klang with Dusknoir a ghost/steel. Many monotyped and single stages could get use in single and double battles.
Would allow them to mix and play with some more.
I was thinking more like you make the fusion happen before a battle and that it would work like Kyurem and Necrozma does, where they are fused until you decide to separate them out of battle.

Please note: The thread is from 5 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom