• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

When Destinies Collide

Chapter 5 – Fallen Angels

For days they had nothing in their future. It had been cruelly torn apart, battered and broken beyond recognition. Dreams burning up in stingy smoke, hopes flowing down the drain like blood spilling from lifeless bodies, staining the ground like a memory that never goes away no matter how much you wish it would. This was something these two young adults should never have been forced to live through. But this was the real world. And reality can be cruel. Very cruel. Hopefully you have the strength to persevere, to succeed, and to live on. Right now, Ash and Sakura seemed like they just might have what it took. But then again, their moods seemed to swing every single moment. Something as small and seemly insignificant as a contorted face or a stormy dark cloud, black and blasting torrential rain and thunder down on an unsuspecting populous, could send them into the depths of despair. On the other hand, the sound of a cheery voice from a young child, or a simple look from one of Ash’s Pokemon or Kero, a look that emanated years of friendship and understanding, could send their souls soaring higher than ever.

As the world does, they swayed back and forth. Such is the balance of power in the eternal fight between good and evil, while the chaos is somehow brought to order by the presiding forces of neutrality. For good and evil can’t exist without the other, yet they are complete opposites. Something else must exist to represent the most abnormal fusion in the universe. But being neutral right now would lead to feeling numb and detaching oneself from the situation. And that was something Ash and Sakura could ill afford to do now. For while the events of the lasts few days hurt them like hell, they needed to focus on the pain more than ever. It was an eternal reminder of what lies ahead. What they needed to do. It kept it real. For the pain they felt was sure to be mirrored or amplified by what Misty and Li were going through.

So Ash and Sakura needed to constantly remind themselves of the prime directive. The fiery, instinctive, energetic yet skilled Pokemon trainer and the spirited, loving, dreamy yet mature witch were going to rely on each other like the air they breathed. They were finished without the other. Team Rocket would kill the ones they loved without a second thought. That fact had killed something inside the two of them. Pizzazz in Ash’s actions, which were normally so brash, impulsive and flung him headfirst into pandemonium along with anyone else nearby, and the sparkle in Sakura’s eyes, which sprung out a shower of happiness, innocence, youth and dreams had begun to subside. Optimism was a source of hope in the time like this, but too much optimism could lead to getting too far ahead of oneself. This was no video game. This was really happening. Ash and Sakura had the lives of Misty and Li in their hands. And for one year, they would have to sweat it out together in order to have one shot at rescuing their loves from the clutches of evil. Any slipups, and Misty and Li would suffer the consequences. Giovanni would be watching their every move. As if they were in the nightmares worlds of Big Brother, Brave New World or Fahrenheit 451. Was this journey all in vain? No point in holding back. It was all or nothing. And nothing didn’t even bear thinking about.

Ash and Sakura walked hand in hand as they made their way towards Destiny City. It was called Destiny City because only very experienced trainers would bother to try out to qualify for the Green League. It was virtually the home stretch for many trainers, as they sought to win their last league before facing off against the Elite 4. Anyone walking by would have recognised the infamous young Pokemon trainer, and they would have been quite curious as to why another young woman besides Misty was at his side on his final leg of his journey. But by now news of the latest wave of Team Rocket attacks had spread across the continent, so many people were actually hanging out to get a glimpse of Ash and Sakura. People knew by now that Ash was definitely not the person who craved the limelight. He wanted nothing more than to accomplish his dream and have friends around. Was that too much to ask? It was for Team Rocket obviously.

At least Ash had Sakura. And Ash already had very high opinions of Sakura. That day at Silver Lake, when he caught a momentary glimpse of who Sakura really was. He saw Sakura’s true happiness, the aura that shone around her being that emanated from her soul, that insatiable lilt that reached out, sucked you in and held you hypnotised that always lingered in her voice, her pearly, luminescent skin that shone like the sparkly beaches of paradise, and those sparkly emerald eyes that were the portal to a soul so beautiful and mind-blowing that words were too pathetic to describe the feeling. And he could also see a ditsy, hilarious side to her. He saw a bit of himself in her. He felt sick inside that Sakura was reduced to a mere fraction of her true happiness. Ash silently swore that he was going to make sure that Sakura would regain that happiness, if it was the last thing he ever did. She was one of a special kind, and if she was lost too, then all of his hopes would slip down the drain into a never-ending ocean of despair, never to be seen again.

And conversely, Sakura had high opinions of Ash. He had such a strong, spirited will that somehow spurred out in full at Silver Lake. She could see the fire in his eyes, the power within that pushed him on whenever adversity stood in his way. She saw the special connection Ash had with his Pokemon. He viewed them as friends rather than pets that battled for him. He was full of empathy, just like her. And it came from pure, young honesty that somehow escaped being corrupted by the evils of the world. Just like her. She saw some of her own being in him. Horrified that someone as defiant and honest as Ash was wronged so deeply, Sakura felt sympathy well up in her, and she silently vowed to make sure Ash accomplished his dreams and that his true nature returned to him. In that moment, unknowingly, the two had bound themselves even closer in their private quest. It would be telling in the months to come. But for now, the two strode on hand in hand, letting touch from someone that cared and understood provide some relief to the mental anguish that raged within.

Ash remembered some things that Professor Oak had told him back in Pallet Town. He had forgotten at the time, but Oak had told him that he would meet up with Ash as soon as he got to Destiny City. Oak had something special to give him there and some advice to give. Advice he couldn’t give back then. Ash figured it was important, so he knew he had to reach Destiny City with haste. He didn’t want to keep Oak waiting. Plus Sakura had gotten word from Tori that he would be in Destiny City around the same time as Oak, so he had something for her too. So their pace had gradually increased as they made their way to the beginning of a chapter in their lives that would lead to true happiness or to the stinking bowels of oblivion.
“Ash, I didn’t know so you were so popular!” Sakura had only just begun to notice the intimidating hordes of people that circled round them for miles. Thousands of eyes burning in on them.
“It started ever since I won the Johto Championships. I wish they’d just cut it out personally.” Ash made it clear he was in no mood for unwanted attention. He could see news reporters and the like.
“Mm. Why did those reporters have to bug us like that back at Silver Town?! Couldn’t they give us some privacy, considering what just happened?! It still hurts, Ash! It’ll never stop hurting until it’s over! I hate others suffering for things I’ve been forced to do for the good of others! And I don’t want people prying into my life as if it were an open book everyone has to read!”
Ash put his free hand on her neck, gently stroking it, relaxing tense muscles and letting them assume their proper form. Sakura sighed in pleasure, relishing such a welcome sensation. “People want to know, I guess, because they care. If people stop caring, they begin to lose the battle. But I agree. There is a point to which people can learn things about others. We deserve to have some things kept to ourselves.”
“Remember what Giovanni said?! He said that if the media got word of what happened, he'd make Misty and Li suffer for it! I know what that man is capable of!” Sakura didn’t cry. She was too strong for that at the moment. She needed to be strong. If she began crying, she might never stop. Such was the hurt locked up inside her. Soon there would be time for release. Now it was time for resolve.
“I know. And I know you don’t want anyone to know about your magic!”
“They would fear me Ash! Because it’s something they don’t understand! People fear what they don’t understand and can’t control! They’d probably burn me at the stake or something! Yet they can see the magic in Pokemon. Why not the rest of the magic around them?!”
“Maybe they once did. Maybe their own personal experiences made them lose sight of it. We have to keep sight of it always, lest we give in to darkness.”
Sakura nodded and hummed in agreement.
“I wish things weren’t so dire. Otherwise I could spend forever looking at how beautiful this place is.” Sakura was right. Destiny City was on the horizon. At the centre of Destiny City was a marble statue of a Dragonite, countless millennia old, yet stronger than ever. The spirit of the legendary Pokemon lived on in this city and inspired anyone who came here in their epic leg of their Pokemon journeys. Greats like Lance, Agatha, Bruno and Prima had passed here before on their ways to greatness. And here it would start for Ash. In a town where buildings were glossed over with plants and bushes all over. People in Destiny City didn’t want to live in a concrete jungle. So they kept Nature close, and people living there felt far more relaxed and content than people in more urbanised areas. Pokemon thrived in these conditions. Kids spent hours every day playing with wild Pokemon, and if one liked them enough, it would stay with them, leaving new trainers in the making. It seemed like a great place to live, and an ominous place for experienced trainers. A town of green and dreams.

Ash and Sakura entered the Destiny City Pokemon Centre. It was a common meeting place, so there were plenty of trainers about as well as other people. This was where they were meant to meet Oak and Tori. Ash and Sakura waited in eerie longing, sitting against soft blue sofas, lying down next to each other. It was weird that Ash and Sakura didn’t mind being so close, but their reliance was 60-60-24-365, so they couldn’t leave each other’s side. Ash and Sakura let the comforting presence of their warm hands linger near each other’s, providing some quiet peace to heal the hell that waged war on their private universes. The radio in the centre piped up, causing many people nearby to swing round in curiosity.
“And now folks, we’ve got a treat for ya! Ben Folds, former lead singer of the American group Ben Fold Five, which split up last year, has returned with his debut solo album, Rockin’ The Suburbs! You’ve already heard Rockin’ The Suburbs for the last few weeks, and now it’s this weeks feature album here on Triple J! So here’s another track from the album. This one is the opening song, and it’s called ‘Annie Waits.’

Ben Folds – Annie Waits

And so Annie waits Annie waits Annie waits
For a call from a friend
The same
It’s the same, why’s it always the same?
Annie waits for the last time
The clock never stops never stops never waits
She’s growing old
It’s getting late
And so her forgot, he forgot but maybe not
Maybe he’s been seriously hurt
Would that be worse?
Headlights crest the hill
Shadows pass her by and out of sight
Annie sees in dreams
Friday bingo, pigeons in the park
Just the same as the last time
Annie says, you see?
This is why I’d rather be alone
And so Annie waits Annie waits Annie waits
For a call from a friend
It’s the same, why’s it always the same?
Annie waits as the last...
Headlights crest the hill
Who will be the one forever more
Annie, I could be
If we’re both still lonely when we’re old
Just the same as the last time
Annie waits
But not for me

Ash and Sakura sat up as soon as the song broke free from the speakers, hanging onto every single note and word until the last syllable and piano chord zipped out. In those four minutes, they found themselves thinking about their own scenario as Ben portrayed a scene of a woman who waited for a call to find true happiness, but it never came. Her dreams slipped by, her youth was gone, and still no release. It made the two of them feel a little scared. Was this what was in store for them? Were they doomed to fail, leaving them a lifetime of being alone, waiting for the one moment to bring them back to happiness, yet it never comes? The piano and Ben’s vocals amplified some hope and longing into the song, which never came to fruition, further reinforced as the piano and vocals turned sombre as verses melted away. The hope never went away, but it never was realised. Annie’s situation was so haunting. To think this was what some people will live through. Ash and Sakura realised that age had nothing to do with it. Nothing could prepare you for the prospect of living the rest of your life alone in the hope that one day, it will all end and happiness will return. But for some, it never will. And they’re forever stuck in that cycle, just like Annie.
“Hey, that sounded good!” said one trainer nearby, stroking her Flareon. “I always hoped ol’ Benny would still keep going after the band split!”
“Yeah! Ya never can beat the sarcasm and the personal stories that he writes! Heck, he may be a jerk, a self-confessed jerk, but man he’s good!” commented another.
“But only a self-confessed jerk could write Rockin’ The Suburbs! Everyone in my neighbourhood is still hung up on that one!” mentioned a third trainer,
“Well he finally decided to use guitar!” noted the first trainer. “Who would’ve thought it?!” The rest of them nodded in agreement.
Ash and Sakura looked at them in envy. Those trainers were probably looking forward to an epic adventure on the final road to the Elite 4. Yet all the two of them could think about was getting Misty and Li back. Nothing else mattered. Their hearts would stop beating without them in their lives. It would be like trying to breathe underwater. Impossible.

“So, my dear fellow yellow one, what do they call you around the ol’ gang, heh?” inquired Kero, dreaming of, obviously, pudding. A great big mountain of pudding.
“Pikachu!” sparked out Pikachu in a happy tone.
“Ah, nice name! Finally someone around here who can talk! At least I don’t have to pretend no more!” Kero began pumping his arms in delight, like he does when he’s about to get sweets.
“Pika pika chu!”
“What?! No Pokemon can speak human language?!” Kero began sobbing like a shattered kid who doesn’t get what he wants.
“Pika...chu chu!”
Kero looked at Pikachu as if he was nuts “Except for that talking Meowth! What talking Meowth? You’re having me on, aren’t ya Sparky?!”
“Pika chu! Pika!” Pikachu was a little confused. He was being honest, but the flying squirrel was taking no notice of that.
“Yeah sure! The day that I see a talking Meowth, I buy you a bottle of ketchup!” Kero folded his arms and sneered.
“PIKA!”
“Huh?! What’s grabbing your tail, Sparky?! Huh?! What the...?”
A Meowth, which looked like it had been beaten over a hundred times with an iron bar or something harsher, hobbled up to the two of them. It was crying gingerly and looked at them like a broken man through those puffed up black eyes.
“I can’t believe it! After all these years, after all we’ve been through, Jesse and James dumped me! Like that! Then again, considering how many times we’ve backstabbed each other, why am I not surprised?! It made a lot of sense! They got a big promotion for nabbing the two brats, and they kicked me out to get more of the bonus and the wage increase! Typical Jesse and James! And now ol’ Meowth had gotta fend for himself! Ah!” Meowth sighed as if he was ready to throw in the towel for good. “What am I gonna do now?! Maybe if I found that Pikachu, I could do something!” He sunk down to the floor in exhaustion, sinking in his sorrow like sinking into quicksand.
“Aw great! Here’s your ketchup, short circuit!”
“PIKA!” Pikachu lashed out at Kero with its tail, then began to power up its cheeks for a light attack. It didn’t like Kero’s attitude one bit.
Kero grabbed Pikachu’s tail and flung it back at him, nearly flinging Pikachu off balance. “Look! I gave you the ketchup! Don’t give me another of those damn shocks, or I’ll give it to ya I swear!”
“Pika!”
“Okay! That does it! Winner gets a pudding!” Kero and Pikachu began staring each other down Western-style, like they were in a showdown. Kero began pumping his fists, psyching his little body up while Pikachu began powering up his electric cheeks for combat.
“Pikachu? Is that you?!”
“Pika?” Pikachu swung round to meet the source of the familiar voice. He knew that feline voice anywhere! “Pika!”
“Hmm, he’s looked like he’s seen better days! Er, scratch the fight, Sparky! Hey there, kitty? Pudding?!” Kero whipped out the pudding cake from Sakura’s satchel, looking for any excuse to get some pudding without retribution.
“Thanks.” Meowth’s burnt paw carefully picked up a piece and savoured the sweet taste of every molecule of sugar, custard and fruit. “It’s been awhile since anyone was this nice to me!”
“Pika pika!”
“Well, shows ya what bums those two jerks are!”
“Kero!” Sakura then noticed the hastily opened package left dangling on top of her satchel. “I said NO pud...er, who’s that?”
“Oh, this guy? He a talking Meowth. In bad shape too!”
“Talking Meowth?” Ash woke up from his daydreaming and felt like he was in the twilight zone. “All right! What are ya up to this time, Meowth?! And where are Jesse and James”
“Don’t mention those two! I don’t ever wanna see those heartless cowards again after they kicked me off the team just to take the promotion for capturing the two twerps!”
Ash and Sakura looked at each other in blinding hope. Sakura grabbed him by his arms and began pleading at him. “Were they Misty and Li?! Please tell us! We’ve gotta know! Please!” Sakura began sobbing a little, coming across a lump of sand in her throat, making it so hard to breathe her eyes couldn’t stop watering.
“You mean the readhead? Yeah, it was her. And that brown haired magician too!”
“All right Meowth!” Anger that had been building up in Ash like a virus was now active and ready to infect. “Where are they?!”
“I don’t know! Jesse and James threw me out of the balloon after them and the two other Rockets got away with the two of them! Can you believe that! They threw me outta the balloon from a mile up! I can’t believe I actually survived that fall!”
“Well, I kinda know how you feel,” mentioned Sakura in a guilty tone. “Then again, I always did have the Fly Card to help out. Still, the Jump Card almost did me in that way.”
“Gee, I didn’t know things were that bad for ya, Meowth!” Ash looked at the feline he resented for so many years for his endless attempts to steal his best buddy in the world from him. But seeing him helpless as he was, Ash was compelled to help him.
“Nurse Joy! This Meowth needs help!”
“Oh dear! Chansey, prepare the emergency room! And a bed for this Meowth!” Nurse Joy began ministering her healing powers as she took Meowth into the dominion where many lives were rescued while some were not as fortunate.
“Sakura, this whole mess keeps getting weirder and weirder!” Ash began looking at the GS Ball Oak had given him. “I wonder what’s in this?! God knows how long I went around delivering this thing! Hope it’s something good! I could use a break about now!”
“Yeah!” Sakura was a little concerned herself. “I’ve been wondering about these new cards Giovanni mentioned. It takes a pretty powerful magician to create new cards. And I don’t like thinking what kind of cards were created if they fell into the wrong hands!”
“Yeah. Looks like maybe more people than just us and Misty and Li may get hurt in this fiasco.”
Sakura nodded in desperate tones. Team Rocket had gone so far as to expend their own. Could they even trust Giovanni? He seemed to be a man of his word. Except when it benefited him to betray it.
“I think maybe we should let Meowth tag along, Ash! Maybe he can help us! I mean, think about it! A Pokemon that can talk human language could be pretty useful on our quest!”
Ash bit his lip. He never really trusted Meowth. But Pikachu had mentioned that time he and Meowth had to work together to survive that time they got lost in the Orange Islands. Meowth did have a heart. He just got hurt badly early on in life and fell in with the wrong crowd. Ash sighed. This was getting nutty. And things were sure to get even crazier.
“Okay. Meowth’s in.”
“Pudding?” offered Kero.
“Better get someone before it disappears, Ash! Magic, you know!” joked Sakura, smiling for the first time in hours, which even managed to invoke a smile on Ash’s lips.
“Sounds good to me.”

Letting Meowth join the fold! Misty’s reaction would have been classic, thought Ash. Misty. Her very life in Ash’s hands. Such an enormous responsibility for someone so young. And Sakura had Li’s in her own hands. For now all they could do was wait and see how Meowth was doing. He will still in intensive treatment. And where were Oak and Tori anyway?! Ash and Sakura absolutely resented idle time! They had a job to do, and their loves’ lives were at stake! Sitting around doing nothing wouldn’t accomplish a thing! Except make them feel as helpless as newborn babies, and that was the last thing they wanted.
“Well, Ash, at least you’re early for once!” Ash knew that voice anywhere. Oak.
“Nice to see you, Professor Oak. Er, this is Sakura. Sakura, this is Professor Oak, the world famous Pokemon expert that started me on my journey.”
“Cool! It’s nice to meet the person who started Ash on the road to glory!”
“Um, I’m flattered. Though I don’t know whether I was that influential on Ash!” Oak never was one to grab the spotlight.
Ash broke in eagerly like a kid in a candy store. “So Professor, you said you had something for me?”
Oak got straight to business like a university lecturer. “Yes, Ash. Yesterday I got hold of a new Pokeball system. It allows you to carry 15 Pokeballs with you instead of 6! So now you can have all your Pokemon with you!”
“Wow! Professor! That’s great! You mean I can have Kingler, Muk and Tauros with me all the time now?! Plus I can catch some new ones without to send any back?! Great!”
“That means you can catch 5 new Pokemon without having to send them back. As for the GS Ball...” Oak could see Ash welling up with excitement.
“What’s in it, Professor?! You’ve got to tell me!”
“I don’t know, Ash. I honestly don’t know. But it’s something rare and powerful. I could tell from the energy contained within the GS Ball. The lock on the ball will break in a week’s time. Then you will know. Be sure to let me know. I’m eager myself to see what it is, considering how much time we’ve spent on that saga.”
“Sure Professor. Was there anything else you came here to tell me?”
Oak’s face hardened like steel. Ash knew he was getting pretty serious. “Ash, don’t be fooled. The Green League is VERY tough. Many trainers take years to even qualify, and more to be lucky enough to win! These Gym Leaders are the toughest breed of all! And furthermore, their Pokemon are a cut above the rest! For they have the ability to use attacks they normally wouldn’t! Water types using Electric attacks, Fire types using Water attacks. Be aware of this, Ash. These Pokemon have hidden powers you couldn’t dream of!”
Ash’s youthful optimism was shattered in an instant like glass windows by an errant ball, and a sullen look broke out across his worn out face. “So you’re saying I might not pull this off in a year?!” He then buried his hands and began crying uncontrollably. “Misty!”
Sakura began breaking down herself like a waterfall. “Li! No! Professor, there must be a way! We have to do this in a year! Please, help us! Anything!”
Oak felt like the world had fallen on his shoulders when he saw that look on Sakura’s face. Her eyes looked like they were falling out of their sockets and their emerald hue was barely alive at all, and her mouth looked like bits of frayed rope instead of luscious lips. She was an absolute wreck, as was Ash. These kids deserve better after all they’ve done for the world. I hope I’m doing the right thing!
“Which is why I really came here.”
Ash and Sakura stopped crying in a flash, held each other’s hand tightly and sat up as one, living for his every word like it was the air they breathed.
“Ash, I want you to have these.” Oak handed fifteen electronic modules to Ash. All the size of wristwatches.
“What are these?”
“They’re learning modules. Ash, these modules can help to awaken a Hidden Power within a Pokemon. Just like with these Gym Leaders.”
Ash felt a ray of light permeate his stormy world. He liked what he was hearing.
“In other words, they will learns attacks of an element they normal couldn’t perform! Ash, I know why you have to do what you’re doing! Take these. They will help you immensely.”
Ash felt a half smile slip across his cracked lips and let it linger like a sweet aftertaste. “Thank you, Professor. Thank you for giving me hope!”
“Ash, I truly believe you can do this! It won’t be easy, but seeing what you’ve done has made even the harshest skeptics change their views on you. So do it, my boy. Go get them back.”
Ash shook hands with the man that started it all, then Oak walked out of the centre. “I’ll keep in touch.”
“Guess I’d better start using these things”, figured Ash. He called his Pokemon out and began strapping the device onto each of them. “Just bear this for a while! It’ll give you all powers you didn’t have before, and they’ll make you stronger!”
All his Pokemon agreed to go through with this and let the modules enhance the power within. “You feel stronger, Pikachu?”
“Pika!” chirped Pikachu happily in reply.
“Great! Guess these things are as good as Oak said. I bet Pikachu learned something really cool!”
Kero began musing. “Yeah, but one of the others learned something a whole lot better.”
“You got that right.”
Everyone whirled around to the entrance to the emergency room. Standing there was Meowth, with no sign of the scars that ravaged his body before. His fur coat had its normal sheen restored and his golden charm was as shiny as ever.
“Lucky you found it when you did. Otherwise it would have been done for. I hope you can care for it well. Knowing you Ash, I know you will.” There wasn’t a Nurse Joy anywhere who didn’t recognise Ash Ketchum within five seconds.
“Thanks Nurse Joy.”
“Anyway”, continued Meowth, “I agree with my fellow talking comrade here. I reckon the leafy one over there was the one that really benefited from those modules.
“Mm,” nodded Kero in strong agreement. “Definitely. Bayleef is going to learn something really powerful soon.”
“Really?” Ash and Sakura looked at Bayleef intently. Bayleef still had that sparkle in her eyes that she had as a Chikorita, she had an invigorating spicy aroma permeating from the leaves on her neck, and her skin was a lush green that shone in the afternoon sunlight. They noticed that Bayleef was somehow different, but they couldn’t quite put their finger on it.
“Guess we’ll find out someday soon.”
“Lazy as ever squirt?!”
Sakura sighed heavily. “Oh no. Here’s trouble!”
It didn’t take a rocket scientist to figure out that Tori had just entered the building. “Well, it’s nice to see you’re actually awake this early in a day, Sakura!”
“Tori!” Sakura really wasn’t in the mood for one of their regular showdown sessions.
“And that you actually made it one time for our meeting is even more miraculous! Must be the Bermuda Triangle or something! A Sakura from a parallel universe! Have you seen my real sister?!”
“Grrrrrrrr!” Sakura was fuming like Mount Vesuvius must have when it sent Pompeii into extinction. “Can you just get to the point?! Why are you here?!”
“Alright squirt, keep a lid on it. I came here to escort someone else you’ll need on your quest.”
“Hey Sakura.” Sakura’s heart missed a heartbeat for sure. She knew that sweet, mellow female voice anywhere.
“Madison!”
Sakura jumped up and eagerly embraced her lifelong friend. Madison still wore her silky black hair long, her sapphire eyes were as sparkling as ever, and she still bore her own trademark smile like a charm. Sakura laughed for the first time in days. She felt so carefree and safe in the presence of one of her best friends.
“Um, so why are you here?”
“Well, Tori told me what you guys are going to be up to. I figured that you could use my planning skills, my electronic equipment, my brainpower and my costumes as always! Sakura! Did you honestly think you’d capture more cards without me around? And without a costume?! Forget it!”
“Hey hey!” piped in Kero happily. “Nice to see you around here, partner!”
“Hey Kero!’ glowed Madison. “Guess what I’ve got!” She let Kero take a quick peek inside her backpack.
“CAKE! Lots and lots of cake! I’m in heaven!” Kero beamed in ecstasy.
“That makes one of us, at least,” mused Ash.
“I can help you guys out. You can’t do this alone. Oak asked me to personally.”
Ash and Sakura stopped in their tracks and listened like hawks scouring for prey. “Oak said that?”
“Yeah. He said that despite how strong the two of you were, he felt certain that you’d get into trouble sooner or later.”
Ash and Sakura sighed lightbulbs anime style. They hated to admit, but it was true.
“So that’s why I’m here! I’m coming along with you guys!”
“I’m not turning you down!” laughed Sakura. “Thank you, Madison!”
“No problem, Sakura! I wouldn’t miss this for the world!”
“I’m outta here, squirt” stated Tori as a mere formality. “Don’t take no wooden Indians.”
“Bye Tori!” Sakura had to admit that Tori could be nice at times. If he tried.
“So where are we headed first?” inquired Madison.
Ash looked on the map on the Pokedex screen. “This says that the nearest gym is in Zinc City. Guess we’d better go there.”
“Just as long as we’re finally mobile,” Sakura pointed out.
“Agreed, Sakura,” choked Ash. “I don’t want to be idle for a second longer. And you’re coming with us whether you like it or not, Meowth.”
“Hey, I ain’t complaining, Ashy boy,” mused Meowth. “I’m not letting that group of no good, backstabbing losers hurt anyone again!”
“Guess we’re off then.”
And off they went towards Zinc City, with their first goal in sight. With the addition of the learning modules and the presence of Madison and Meowth, things were looking up for once.

“Hmm. I didn’t suspect those two would tag along,” growled Giovanni like a wild animal from the security of his hidden base.
“Would you like them ‘removed’, my lord?” inquired the Rocket standing guard.
“No!” Giovanni licked his lips in delight. “Let them be. The game’s getting more interesting! Let them have hope!” He picked up a pencil and snapped it in half with minimum effort, sending splinters flying across the air. “For now...”

Please note: The thread is from 21 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom