• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

When did you discover the Save button? (Seriously!)

When did you discover the save button?

• Immediately

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • After my first few plays

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • I don't remember

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • This is crazy

Votes: 8 9.5%

• Total voters
I tested the buttons as soon as I got control of the game (shortly after Oak shrinks you at the beginning.) I pretty got it handled from there.
Same here! I tested out each button and eventually saw SAVE in the menu.

My actual problem was figuring out how to leave Pallet Town. I could've sworn that the tall grass was similar to trees; I thought you couldn't move past them. For some odd reason, I never tried to even go towards it so I was running around Pallet Town with no starter. It took me hours before I even TRIED to venture out that way. And that's why a six year old shouldn't have LeafGreen.

Save "button"...?

Playing plenty of videogames before makes the concepts of menus and save options pretty obvious. And even if it used an unusual saving mechanic, I always read the manual anyways.

I used to just keep my DS plugged in and leave it on. Then my friend showed me I could... SAVE it! I thought you had to beat the game in one go and it auto-saved after you won.

When I found out that "Save" meant "Salvar" in English. It was so awesome playing a game in a language I then barely understoond. 8D

I know, right? 8) Video games just became your character wandering around until something happened. However, I think when my mom bought me my Pikachu GameBoy Color and Pokemon Yellow I knew enough English to understand the instructions booklet and find how to save my progress (I used to religiously read the booklets before starting the game; now it's just rip off the plastic and fire up the DS.)

- Kat

I know, right? 8) Video games just became your character wandering around until something happened. However, I think when my mom bought me my Pikachu GameBoy Color and Pokemon Yellow I knew enough English to understand the instructions booklet and find how to save my progress (I used to religiously read the booklets before starting the game; now it's just rip off the plastic and fire up the DS.)

- Kat

Exactly! I level up my Charmander to Lv. 14 in one of my saveless paythroughs. xD I even used to think "Parcel" meant "Pretzel". So I didn't even know what I was to supposed to do with a "Pretzel". That first month playing Red Version was so lulzy looking back. XD And I only looked at the pictures on the booklet, lol.

Exactly! I level up my Charmander to Lv. 14 in one of my saveless paythroughs. xD I even used to think "Parcel" meant "Pretzel". So I didn't even know what I was to supposed to do with a "Pretzel". That first month playing Red Version was so lulzy looking back. XD And I only looked at the pictures on the booklet, lol.

xD "You got Oak's Pretzel!" That's hilarious. My friend knew no English when he got his R/B/Y (I can't remember which) and couldn't figure out how to get out of his house, although I read English natives also had problems with that when they were little and playing Pokemon for the first time. xD

One of my lulzy moments playing Yellow was wandering around Rock Tunnel in the dark, not understanding the "Flash lights up dark caves!" instructions. I restarted my game after about a month of wandering in the dark, and to this day Rock Tunnel makes me hold my breath in anxiousness.

- Kat

xD "You got Oak's Pretzel!" That's hilarious. My friend knew no English when he got his R/B/Y (I can't remember which) and couldn't figure out how to get out of his house, although I read English natives also had problems with that when they were little and playing Pokemon for the first time. xD

One of my lulzy moments playing Yellow was wandering around Rock Tunnel in the dark, not understanding the "Flash lights up dark caves!" instructions. I restarted my game after about a month of wandering in the dark, and to this day Rock Tunnel makes me hold my breath in anxiousness.

- Kat

Lmao. That happened to me aswell. I somehow got through that cave without Flash, and since then, to this day I barely use the HM unless I deem it 100% necessary. Atleast I didn't stay in there for a month like I did when I didn't know what "Save" meant. XD

It took me about 3 days of playing before I discovered the menu at all.

But I had never played a game system in my life so that's kind of understandable. :p

It took a grand total of..... seven seconds. I read the booklets.

I think I always new about it. I actually could not figure out how you're supposed to leave your house, so some one else had to tell me.

As soon as I pressed the start button, I discovered it. Then I killed my neighbors sapphire save a long time ago.

Immediately. Because I figured how to open the menu at the start of the game, and saw the "save" button.

I knew it was in the menu but I couldn't figure out how to open it. I kept pressing Select instead of Start! (I interpreted buttons really literally back then.) :sweatlol:

Fortunately I noticed right away, though it was kind of an accident. I wasn't entirely sure what I was doing so I was just pressing buttons and came across save. Though when it said to not turn off the power, I wasn't certain if I could turn my game off afterwards x)

Immediately. I've been playing RPG even before Pokemon so I already figured.

Youd have to be 1) young and 2) have this videogame be one of your VERY first ever videogames in order to run into the problem in this post. Which is why... i had the same damn problem.

I bought blue version from a classmate in my intermediate school for $10, back in 1998 (i was 9), and I loved playing through with Charmander. I'd evolve it into a Charmeleon, get past the first gym, but then I'd stop playing when my batteries on my original GameBoy would die or theyd pop out or something. Id even sneak the game into my gym class just to try and play a little more before the battery died. So when I discovered the save button, it was a huge accomplishment for me haha. I loved that game. Then I got Yellow.... AWESOME. Blue Version was a life changer for me.

Immediately. So I never lost any progress, and I was always continuing my game. Besides, it's expected fare for an RPG.

I knew what the save button was, It was more the fact of finding the menu in the first place that took a little bit. But hey it was my first handheld game.

Believe it or not, negative 2-3 years. I watched my friend play Ruby, Fire Red and others, so I knew how to save.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom