• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

When Did You Start Playing Pokemon?

When Did You Start Playing Pokemon?

• Total voters
I started playing right at the beginning, but I never got my OWN game until Ruby. And it was used!! I miss you KALVIN, and all the Pokemon that some guy named Kalvin caught but I trained to level 100.

I started in 1999 with red. I remember it like it was 12 years ago....

Last Christmas. I got hit by nostalgia earlier during the year and I started rewatching the anime, then decided that I could try the games. I got Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, SoulSilver and XD: Gale of Darkness as gifts.

In started watching the anime in 1999 or 2000, and I started playing the games in 1998 or 1999. My first games were Blue and Yellow.

I started in '99 when it was released in Europe. I remember it - I was in primary school at the time, and it was the last day of term. We were allowed to bring in a toy or something to play with and my friend had brought in Pokémon Red. I borrowed it for an hour or so, and I tried to beat Brock with a level 15 Charmander and a load of other, very low level Pokémon. I managed it, and Charmander evolved at the end of the battle. I bought my own Red version a couple of hours later.

My first game was Silver in 2000, but I started collecting TCG cards and watching the anime the year before.

I started playing my older brothers Yellow and Gold versions in 2001 and I've been playing ever since.

Once upon a time, when I was a precocious lad of about 5 or 6, I hated Pokémon with a passion, for absolutely no reason. I think it has to do with my innate dislike towards anything wildly popular (which I have unimaginatively dubbed "Hating Insanely Popular Stuff Through Emptyheaded Reasoning"). Then I read one of Tracey West's junior novelisations (remember those?), I got Yellow for my seventh birthday (right before my family had to make a long trip back from Thailand, which made for a remarkably kickass plane ride), I got Blue, I got Crystal, I got Sapphire for another birthday (possibly my tenth, although that may be wishful thinking on my part) and the rest is history.

I first started playing the games, Red version, just before the anime came out. I was so delighted to see Pikachu on TV out of the blurry game pixels.

If memory serves correctly, my brother and I got our blue and red versions (respectively) in late January-early February 1999. We only had one Gameboy, though, and the fights were pretty intense until I got one for Christmas. Haha.

It was year 1999 when my parents bought me Yellow after I had seen the anime. Oh the good times :D

I remember playing Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Snap on my 64. And a couple of years later, my mom found a Blue cartridge at a yard sale. It was intended to be my sister's, but I got it because she never played it.

After asking and hoping to get a Pokémon game and GameBoy Color about two years, my parents finally bought it to me in the spring 2001. My parents thought games were too expensive and they seriously thought I would get bored with it soon anyway. Well, still having my Blue version, still playing with it.

Please note: The thread is from 1 year ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom