• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

When did you stop watching the anime?

I stoped watching it soon after Misty left. I always liked, particulary because of her independant and perseverant attitude towards, well; pretty much everything about Pokemon (and her, of course). I've always thought that that showed deepnes of character since that kind of diligent and straight forward attitude apparently came from enduring a childhood with 3 older sisters who underestimated her and awoke on Misty a constant need to reivindicate herself- how beautiful for such a young girl to have such a well-founded and fully justified fighting will ^^. I decided to watch it again after some time, but i disliked it even more. It was actually forums like this one that made me realise that the people who watched the Pokemon anime that to my perspective had changed so much (for the worst) were not only "simple minded"(no offense) 9 year old kids, but people who could actually enjoy the show as i thought it would always be enjoyed: trough its lessons, and advises about friendship an other meanningful aspects of life. (despite some slightly pointless filling episodes)

Last edited:
I went for the whole Johto region, and also saw 80-90% of the Kanto episodes. The filler episodes did start to turn me off, but I decided to watch until the end of the Silver Conference - and boy, that match against Gary's Blastoise was so awesome! (*) What finally made me stop? It was due to the Pokemon games themselves. I did not like how RSE was handled (Pokemon from GSC not being tradable, no post-game Johto etc), and I mad up my mind to move away from Pokemon. It also did not help that I was in middle school, and generally mid-high school studies in Japan are quite demanding. Though, the current XY arc seem to be rekindling my interests. I'm hoping Ash will finally get some character development after all these years. (I wonder why they didn't make Iris do the gym badges and have Ash participate on the game-based World Tournament, and reintroduce Brock/Misty, even if for 3-4 episodes.)

Last edited:
I stopped after diamond and pearl. I have seen all the movies tho.
Idk, I kinda got bored with Ash and Iris was meh to me and so I just stopped.
However, Like Henry says, I'm looking forward to XY chronicles.

-I watched through pretty much all of OS. Unfortunately, the Silver Conference did not air where I live (I only got to watch it years later).
-skipped AG when it aired. This was when I left the pokemon fandom for a while and quit watching the anime.
-Got back into the fandom and watched some of the important DP episodes (gym leader episodes/the Galactic arc/the League).
-Watched through almost all of BW season 1 and season 2 up to Episode N
-Quit watching Pokemon BW Decolora Adventures. Watched a bit of the last episode.

-Got back to watching the anime when Pokemon Origins aired, and I'm keeping up with XY currently.

-watched all the movies.

I saw the entirety of OS when it was airing, then never saw AG001 or beyond. I didn't like the Ruby/Sapphire games nearly as much as I liked Gold/Silver/Crystal so I thought I had grown out of Pokémon and sort of stopped it all. Then when DP came out I realised there was just something I didn't like about RSE and that I do in actuality love Pokémon. About 70 episodes into the English dub of BW I decided to start watching it again and watched all of them, then went back and saw all of the DP anime. I'm currently like 100 episodes into AG.

I find it kind of amusing that I didn't care for OS's story or anything really, I was just buying into the marketing and laughing my ass off over Psyduck and stuff. Now that I'm far too old to be watching a toy-selling show, I'm watching it for the plot and animation. >.<

First off, I began to watch the anime when my older brother got me into the franchise in 1998 when the anime was new to the US. I stopped watching it around Johto Journeys because the story began to get repetitive and I lost interest. Ever since I saw videos on youtube promoting Satoshi and Hikari, I regained the interest in 2007 and began to watch the DP series while looking back at what happened in the gap of my absence of interest. I watched the anime only for the good-written portions and ended my journey at the end of that series. The writing in my opinion seemed a lot better in the DP series than what I've seen in the past series including BW. I wish that Tomioka will return with a fresh idea for an entire series like DP.

I find it kind of amusing that I didn't care for OS's story or anything really, I was just buying into the marketing and laughing my ass off over Psyduck and stuff.
Omg ahahaha, this made me laugh so much! I'd never thought about it from that perspective, but this absolutely applied to me during OS! What a shrewd observation :p

After they changed the dub voices in the Battle Frontier saga, ugh, it just wasn't the same anymore.

But I realized soon that I wanted to finish what I started from my childhood so I decided to watch the entire series again and get caught up to speed on the latest season, which I eventually did...even at the expense of the horrible dubbing :( That's why I prefer English subs now.

TO THIS DAY the anime hasn't ended yet! But I'ma stick with it to the end no matter how much the writing might suck LOL

While i never quit following pokemon anime on regulsar basis, ill admit there were few instances where i almost did it going as far as taking small break(though nothing big just few episodes which i caught upon later on). So i decided to be completely honest in here.

First time it happened at end of Johto when Misty was replaced liking character and original trio chemistry being disappointing to see such great character which still had lot of unexplored potential about her water dreams, unexplored fears and ambitions leaving in such abrupt way when much more could been done there.
One of reasons was feeling how quality went downhill in some segments after Misty left cast losing on its comedy, quality dynamic and adventurous feeling perfectly balancing out group interactions. At that time this was first big major change and in general i was more attached to characters since it was unknown if they will be so expendable like i know now contributing to such disappointment.
However even though i find show lost some of its appeal and identity i decided to continue following series giving chance to new characters like May, Dawn and whoever came afterwards.

Second time it happened after voice actors were replaced with dubbing being took over by PUSA finding how we lost spontaneous, unforced and natural portrayal of voices for main characters being jarring to get used to new ones whose acting felt out of place. However i decided to continue and while i still prefer older dub i can say i grew to accept it with new VAs doing better job compared to early days.

So even though writers disappointed me with several things regarding this show, they still manage to somehow draw me in with pokemon anime having certain charm,lighthearted humor and some great characters in it adding to entertainment. Because of this i must applaud them for managing to keep me interested for this long because despite all inconsistencies and what in my eyes appear to be bad decisions they are obviously doing something good.

Last edited:
I stopped after the Johto finished, then started again last year to see what direction Ash and his friends went. DP ended up being my favourite series so I'm glad I started watching again.

I ragequit at Fear Factor Phony since 4Kids was gone and I hated most of the replacement voice actors, and didn't come back until Sinnoh where they started becoming tolerable and new characters like Dawn and Paul had voices I really liked.

I'm one of the few who never quit watching the anime - sure there are lots of episodes I don't watch anymore (mainly the ones I find boring) but up to this point I have not missed any episodes.

Going to keep my tradition - I will not miss any episode no matter how much it sucks (even if I think the episode will be terrible, I might be surprised and love it - like Thursday's episode).

It was the anime that introduced me to the Pokemon world, it will remain with me forever.

I stopped watching at the beginning of DP because I just kind of dropped Pokemon for a few years, not really for a specific reason. I started watching again around last spring, I caught up on all the episodes right around the beginning of the N arc. Now I watch the new episodes every Saturday that they come on :) Just waiting for XY to start!

I stopped watching it when their voices changed, it just doesn't feel right not listening to the original voices. So I stopped after watching the first episode of Battle Frontier.

I just stopped after that failure of a Pokemon League in Unova. That was..................just horrible. Skipped the Island adventures, and now I'm back for X & Y anime. :D

1. After watching it from the very beginning {the first episode actually being the 15th one as a preview to the series}, I stopped watching it once they went off to Johto because my parents went from DirecTV [or digital cable, can't remember exactly, but it was one of those TV things that gave you hundreds of channels instead of the 35-45 regular cable gives you] to regular cable, thus no longer having access to Kids WB. This changed when they started showing the series on Cartoon Network.

2. Stopped watching it altogether on TV (I moved on to watching it only on DVD) during Advanced Battle because I started buying DVD boxsets.

3. Stopped watching the series completely [minus the first two seasons] temporarily because of the voice cast change. I was really upset over that... Still can hardly watch Battle Frontier because of how odd it sounds. This changed when I saw Pokémon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea and really was impressed {i know, neither was hardly the fault of the VA's} and it became my third favorite Pokémon movie. So I gave BF a shot and learned to tolerate the VA's of today and just enjoy the episodes themselves.

4. {now}. I have officially stopped watching the episodes after Sinnoh (as in, I mostly watch the beginning through Johto Journeys, but will still watch Johto League Champions through Sinnoh League Victors occasionally. But not past that) because I cannot stand Unova's seasons. I will collect the boxsets [ONLY ones imported from Australia until Viz finally stops playing around and releases Johto Journeys on DVD, then I'll branch out] including those of the Unova saga just so I can have the complete set [or in case I change my mind and decide to give Unova another shot].

Mehhh... It kinda got me into it, but after getting to about Diamond and Pearl, I lost cable at Dad's, and mainly watched other shows. I occasionally took a peek or two at Unova, but thought.... I hate the song, where's brock, and why is ash still 10? were the main thoughts in my mind. I don't really, but I still remember it fondly.

I nearly stopped watching within the first few episodes of Black and White, but it grew on me. I did skip over the entirety of the Episode N arc though (I think N is overrated in general in the fandom). Whenever I re-watch the anime I always skip over any Team Galactic episodes as well

I stopped at season 1 in the nineties...for some reason I lost interest, or the show stopped being shown past season 1 in the UK...I can't remember for some reason.

I've started re-watching them on Youtube though......is anyone else surprised that so many Pokemon episodes are on Youtube? Not that I'm complaining....I'm just surprised they haven't been removed due to copyright.....

During mid Johto, mid Hoenn, and late Hoenn, I didn't watch with dedication as I did other seasons around the time. I skipped most episodes and only caught the major ones. It was both for finding some of them boring/unimportant and for the constant schedule changes in the CN broadcasting.

I only really stopped for good in the Battle Frontier saga. I disliked how both "Kanto" (in name only) and the Frontier Brains and challenges were handled, so that was my cue to stop altogether. I still kept myself mildly informed about the Anime's direction for the most part.

I watched a few DP episodes, but it never caught my attention. Same with BW. It wasn't until my likeness for Iris increased tenfold that I got too curious and decided to get watching all of BW. So far I am enjoying it a whole lot, surprisingly. Mostly because I just like Iris that much though. I may continue on to XY as it also seems to keep some of the same spirit I am seeing in BW. For previous seasons, I don't think I'll bother backtracking save for a few episodes, though.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom