• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

When did you stop watching the anime?

I knew of May and Max, but I'm pretty sure I didn't watch AG. And I didn't watch DP either, up until I started watching it on TVs here in around 2009. And I've semi-stopped watching Best Wishes. I only watch episodes that look interesting.

I skipped some of DP due to my final uni project taking priority, but that's about all. Otherwise, I've never really stopped watching, despite skipping a few dull looking episodes here and there. Truthfully, I'm not even sure how I've managed to hang on for all these years. I've been a fan of infinately better shows and there have been some horrendously boring patches through various sagas of pokemon that should have been more than enough to turn me away. Even as a kid, when pokemon was allegedly in it's prime, I remember having to force myself to get up early to watch the show sometimes. Maybe it's habit, or maybe I'm just a masochist. But I still kept coming back for more.
That said, I don't really regret not being all 'everything after this point/that point/when so-and-so left sucks', because the good has always made up for the bad imo. If I'd given up on it, I'd have definately missed out on some fun and memorable moments.

I stopped watching near the end of Johto because I just found it too boring. Also, I was Middle School at the time, and my classmates would make fun of people who watched pokemon, and since I was vulnerable to that, I decided it was best to stop watching.

I picked it up again at the beginning of DP, about when I went to college.

Its so funny that everyone originally stopped watching around the same time, during the mid/late Johto era. Its because some people stopped watching during the Johto days that some never saw AG as well as it took them awhile to regain interest. I would have stopped watching too around that time but I forced myself to continue.

Johto ruined the anime for everyone!

Im one of those rare ones i guess who never really stopped watching this show.I stick with it from beginning watching whole Original series,Hoenn,Sinnoh and right now Unova.I also watched all chronicles,movies(except latest one) and Pikachu shorts with only exception being few banned episodes which are quite hard to come by.

There were times when i could barely digest some episodes testing my patience but overall i enjoyed in most of them having their charms.

Its so funny that everyone originally stopped watching around the same time, during the mid/late Johto era. Its because some people stopped watching during the Johto days that some never saw AG as well as it took them awhile to regain interest. I would have stopped watching too around that time but I forced myself to continue.

Johto ruined the anime for everyone!

Not everyone,because there are several people who liked Johto not viewing it as trash like some make it out to be.Personally while Johto isnt my favorite it definitely has its upsides and many entertaining things which would i regret if i missed on them.

Battle Frontier on other hand was waste of time imo.Its all matter of opinion really.

I discovered the anime around mid-late Johto (but I watched reruns of older episodes) and stopped watching around the VA switch. Then I re-gained my interest around late DP (when I got the Indigo League DVD set for Christmas).

I stopped watching it at the mid of the DP. I couldn't stand the contests and some of the fillers(Chingling ep). The Shinnoh league and the B/W saga made me watch the anime again.

Last edited:
I stopped back during Johto and kinda skipped Hoenn but i went back a few yrs later to kinda see some of what i missed. But i recently stopped again soon after BW aired here in America. My dvr was having problems keeping it recorded and when I started to fall behind, I just gave up on it because it was really pretty boring and I was frustrated with Ash being a noob again and Iris bugs the fuck out of me >:[

I'll catch one or 2 episodes if they are on but I don't go out of my way to see it anymore, as well as I have no clue wtf is going on.

johto is underatted. it's one of the best saga's

i started watching the original series like everyone.. and lost my interest in johto to.. but randomly saw some advance gen episodes and i made an assumption that corphish was part of the original 151 lol but after rewatching the whole johto series on dvd!! i missed out, they were the glory episodes.. so funny and amazing

I stopped watching sometime in Johto, then gave it another chance in AG. Then I stopped watching when the VA switch happened (so I skipped the entire BF) and then I started watching it again in DP (which I swear I zoned through the second half of episodes unless Paul/Barry was there) and finally BW has my full attention :)

I briefly stopped watching during Johto because, when I was a kid, my parents thought I was "obsessed" to a "dangerous" degree and forced me to stop watching the animé until late Hoenn, but when online episodes came out I caught up and never missed one since. I remain fairly unimpressed by what I missed. I have never missed a game, though.

I stopped watching when they changed voices. I thought: What the hell? I liked those voices! I then picked it up later when I realised it still existed, right from the beginning, and I've kept on going. In Black and White, then Best Wishes, I watched for a while, stopped, then picked it up at the English episodes. I'll never tire of it, unless they mess up. I'd like it to get better story wise, but I think that the filler writing is better. The only thing I don't like, is Ash's lack of ageing, and degrading to having as much Pokemon knowledge as a kid. By Iris' standards. So yeah. And, I still find the original series the best, without nostalgia thickened goggles. (See what I did there?) They were hilarious, despite occasional inconsistencies, and that's the humour that's kept me hooked.

I stopped watching near the start of DP because I didnt want to wake up so early and i sorta forgot about watching it then earlier this year I watched every espisode/movie online and now Im completely RE-Obssesed :) and the DP seasons were the most entertaining.

After the Johto series, my viewing of the anime decresed but not by much, only slightly...When DP came around, it took a serious drop for me...I missed many episodes...maybe saw only...75% of DP when it first aired...having to go back and watch things...

It's been slower for BW for me because I've been busy and haven't had the time to watch the episodes...So I guess for me, it's decreased over time.

I stopped around Hearthome during DP. It was mostly because it stopped being worth it waking up on Saturday, and the fillers were getting on my nerves a little. I still watch the anime on occasion, but not enough to follow it.

Hey, a thread about NOT watching the anime! :p

I watched it when I was little. I've said before that I was never really caught up with all my friends. While my friends were probably watching the Johto saga (I never did ask them), I watched Kanto. I had quite a few VHS tapes (I can imagine my brother's friends saying "What's a VHS tape? O_O"), about five of them, I think. Ah, the nostalgia. :p I remember my favorite episode was probably the one with The Squitle Squad.

But anyway, I stopped watching when I was maybe about 8 or 9. I just didn't care for it much. I've never been much of an anime person. I remember one of the things that turned me off was the voice acting. I've always thought that most English dubs are a bit wonky or exaggerated.

I've slowly watched less and less Pokemon since the Battle Frontier arc, but I've never completely stopped.

6th gen's gonna be interesting for me though...

I watched it only sporadically mid johto, picked up again towards that league, so just missed a bunch of fillers really. Started watching just raws back starting with the giant slaking episode, and very rarely watch the dub since then. Within the last like 2 months I really haven't been watching it as active as I had been, just because I feel I'm losing interest and don't care much for the characters.

I stopped watching during Johto League Champions .

Way too many re-runs, terrible dub, boring as hell episodes ( minus a few funny fillers) that lead us nowhere.
I think the episode that was the last one I watched before my "break" was Freeze Frame. What a terrible mini-arc that was.

I started watching again when I saw the japanese preview of the 8th gym battle which got me interested in the anime again. Due to several re-runs I watched the episodes I missed later ( thank God, I almost skipped pearls like The Wayward Wobbuffet or The Heartbreak of Brock, or almost all episodes in the Larvitar Saga). But Johto really made it hard to be a fan of the anime for the most part.

I skipped a few episodes in late DP because of more important university-stuff or because many episodes were
Hikari-centered :p
snooze-fests to me from the preview alone. I remember being terribly bored by some of the Twinleaf-mini-saga stuff or the contest training episodes.

AG had the episdoes between the 6th and 7th gym that were extremly lackluster, too.

Truth to be told, every Pokémon series has its low points, but I came back every time after a few weeks because there is just too much good stuff underneath the bitter coating.

What really helped me in my enjoyment of the anime was the original japanese version. I started watching the raws when AG started and never looked back.

Please note: The thread is from 10 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom