• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

When do you struggle writing chapters

alster08

BF Author
Reaction score
Latly I have been haveing lots of trouble writing When Evil Meets Evil so I began to have lots of writers blocks from time to time. I usualy get it when Im writing the ends of my chapters or more often than not the begaining of the chapter. Do you feal the same way.

I tend to write more slowly when I'm writing battle chapters because they're a lot less fun to write. After 82 chapters, 48 of which are battle chapters, it's hard to keep things fresh! Sadly, at the moment I am half way through the Elite Four so I've got a fair few left before I come out the other end!

My main suggestion to try and help with writer's block (which works wonders for me) is to write a long term plan for your story in one or two sittings, flesh it out in a couple more sittings and then just work through that. It's easy that way! I wrote a loose plan for the whole of Rival's Story over a year ago now!

I usually go through lots of rewrites for some chapters of Encounters, because I feel that everything is happening too quickly or too slowly. I do get writers' block a lot of the time, but to combat it I usually give the story a break, and come back filled with ideas.

With my story, I've also done something similar to what Gama said, but because I've got a whole new region, I've drawn up a map of the region, then decided what should happen in each location. For example, I decided that in Sunrise Town, at some point, Alfie, Ella and Jacob should meet Looker and have a brief battle with Team Rocket Elite. I wasn't sure how they'd get there, but I knew that these were the key points and the plot changed accordingly. Originally, Peeker didn't exist, but she was added in to support Looker. The plot didn't seem to feel right without her, and I spent a long time thinking about what to do. In the end, in seemed obvious to add Peeker as Looker's wife!

I have some writer's block right now because I want to write both versions of the same part (one R, the other NC-17, yeah, I'm going there) by the end of this month, but I don't know how to continue from the point I'm at, and I'm never in the correct conditions (alone time) nowadays. The best thing to do is be comfortable and just let out a stream of conciousness, I have to agree with Gastly's Mama, though, on the fact that writing battle scenes suck psychadelic juices out of a poison dart frog's asshole.

Last edited:
Latly I have been haveing lots of trouble writing When Evil Meets Evil so I began to have lots of writers blocks from time to time. I usualy get it when Im writing the ends of my chapters or more often than not the begaining of the chapter. Do you feal the same way.

All authors from time to time experience writer's block. This was especially true for me when I was writing my first novel, Destiny's Edge. It is more common to find writers having difficulty during the beginning than anywhere else in the story. Although, like you, there are some authors who experience difficulties writing the end more often than not.

For me, writing the beginning is the most challenging part of writing. And this is only because I want to set the tone for what is to come next, and I'm very particular as to how this is accomplished. An improperly worded beginning can ruin the whole story for the reader.

Tricks I learned along the way. First, know exactly how you would like the story (or chapter) to end. Then write it down. It is sometimes easier to visualize how the ending will look if you actually write down the idea. Actually being able to see your idea, rather than having to keep it in your mind really does make it easier. Second, take the idea, and flesh it out a little, separating it into point forms detailing in rough every event that is to take place. Finally, once you have the point form written out, you can flesh those points out until they become the rough draft. The key here is not to let yourself be concerned with proper spelling or grammar. Just focus on writing the draft and forget about anything else.

As soon as you've written the rough draft you can then go back and start smoothing out the rough edges; correcting your grammar and spelling, and making slight changes that will allow the story to flow more smoothly. I call this the self-edit phase.

Before you publish the story (or chapter), send it to one or more people who you trust to give you an unbiased opinion. These people become your editors and will point out any mistakes in your grammar. Chances are, they'll see things that you might have missed during your self-edit. Once you get it back from your friends, go over the story one last time, and make any final changes you need.

Then... publish it.

The main problem I have is that I know where i want to end up, it's the parts inbetween that cause me the problem.
Just get a piece of paper and write down all possible ideas that come into your mind, and see how you can fit them in around your plot

I've started to get slower writing my chapters because I really have so many ideas on how to do something I need to get it right. It took a month to get the Proton chapter out cause I had to write him... right.

As for this next one, it's a rival battle. This exists in game canon and everything has to line up.

What happens to me a whole bunch is I'll write an entire chapter and not like it at all and end up trashing it. I never really feel that my work is good (Except the Python story. I know it rocks) and so I end up thinking "This is terrible, I can't let anybody see this!"

It happens so much that I'll spend weeks writing the same chapter and changing it constantly. I hate it...

Despite the fact that I am a bit of a closet fic writer and I tend to lurk this forum a lot, I can tell you right now that the only time I get stuck writing... Is when I'm trying to make myself. Forcing it makes it worse for me. It's gotta flow out of my mind freely, otherwise it'll be bad. The best piece of writing I've ever created was my original writing coursework - the first draft got full marks but I wrote it at about three in the morning letting myself rattle on freely. Moral of the story? Only write when your brain really has something to say. ^^'

^ That. Although sometimes I feel so uninspired, and I'll have to move on to another fanfic altogether before I can go back to the one I was on.

I struggle on battle scenes. I don't really have anything very uneventful, but since I want battling of the past to be much more strategy based then competitive battling is, my big fights (against the Rocket commanders and TS) will probably take me the longest to write.

I get Writer's Block randomly. It doesn't matter if it's in the beginning, middle or end of a chapter.

I usually fix this by writing something else. Yes, writing cures writer's block.

I only struggle when I'm distracted by other things - sometimes important things.

You've noticed how the last three chapters of Generation 2021 were spaced about 3 to 4 weeks apart? Yeah, that would be a symptom. I might not be able to finish the story in a year like I planned.

I've been pretty torn when it comes to one of my fics. I love all the characters dearly and I really want to get their story out, but I can not for the life of me come to write the chapters of their story. I just broke out of an ugly three-month hiatus with the same three pages of text, and now with the next chapter I've written an opening and am now staring blankly at the screen. Hilariously, my other fic hasn't faced anything of the sort, and I'm just procrastinating on that thing (and waiting for my beta-reader to get back to me)...

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom