• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

When nicknaming your Pokemon...

chimera

Reaction score
When you nicknamed your Pokemon in the pre-Gen V games, would you completely capitalize their nicknames (i.e. "FLUFFY") or would you only capitalize the first letter (i.e. "Fluffy")?
I do both.

Last edited:
I normally capitalise the entire nickname, with a few exceptions (e.g., AllThePies the Snorlax, using CamelCase instead of spaces due to the 10-character limit).

I never have the name in all caps, because if it's in caps then it doesn't feel like a real name.

I don't do it in all caps. Usually I make the first letter capital, hen the rest lowercase. When the name is multi-word, I omit the space.

It depends on what I want it to look like. When I'm lazy I do all caps, but I generally try to use proper capitalization.

At first I just did normal capitalization, and everyone stuck out like a sore thumb.

Then the first time I played HG I caught wise to this, except that was when nicknames and character names started to not be in ALL CAPS, so I just looked stupid.

Then I went back to normal capitalization.

I've always done it normally. Honestly, the all-caps thing for names is something that's always bugged me in the games. I'd renickname pokemon I caught their name lowercased, just so that it wouldn't be in all caps. (Ex: SWELLOW would become Swellow.) I did that for all legendaries.

At first I did to match the style, but then when RSE came out I switched to normal/proper capitalization. Unless it's for a joke or something.

I'm happy that BW has done away with all caps names. People in Unova don't have to strain their voices when battling like the poor saps in regions past.

Pre-Generation V, I would capatalise the entire Pokémon's name. I was the only person at the 2010 VGC that I saw who did this xD

I only ever captilise the first letter. (Which was pretty hilarious, as I used to use a full captilised name for my player.)

I usually do it in all caps. More out of consistency and convenience than anything else.

I never did all caps, and felt awkward for doing so when everyone else in game practically screamed their Pokemon's names at me, so I rarely nicknamed my Pokemon. Now that they've fixed it, it's a lot better, although I still havn't nicknamed anything in Gen V simply because I still didn't know the Pokemon.

I never did all caps. Looks too unnatural to me. But I did always put a capital letter at the start of the name, obviously.

I would always do mine in ALLCAPS because that was the way the rest of the game was formatted for names. Now all of my Pokémon nicknames are out of style since they changed the name format in B/W. I just can't bring myself to rename some and leave the rest in all-caps: I want all of my nicknames to be uniform.

So ALLCAPS, but it's a relic of an old age.

I prefer only capital fisrt letter although if it is like two words I will capitilize the first letter of bother words

I used to capitalize every word, but ever since Gen IV, I started capitalizing only the first letter. Plus, the nicknames of my pokes depend on what anime/game/franchise I'm hooked on at that moment.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom