• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

When should have the animé have ended?

PS3D

Reaction score
Okay, I know that BW is a bit controversial, and a lot of people don't like it.

That's not the point.

The point is, I think somewhere along the line, the Pokémon animé lost focus.

I mean, the first season for instance was a winner in many aspects: you had the cool theme song, some cool creatures that fought each other, a hero that every 10-year-old kid could associate with (or want to be), a villain you never saw who had a pretty intimidating (if a bit cheesy) voice who you never saw, the hero's jerk rival, and his bumbling henchmen. It even had a story arc!

The later episodes kind of lost that. And maybe it's just the jarring change from the Season 1 and 2 I grew up with, but BW has nothing. ConspiciousCG, a forgettable and unforgivably stupid "theme song", some wide-eyed kid whose past 13 years have been completely erased, and drastic changes to Giovanni and Team Rocket. I don't know, it seems like it went on too long, now being forced to discard years of canon to attract new viewers. :dodgy:

It's already ended for me anyways, but definitely at the end of DP. We could have had Ash winning the league and battling Cynthia.

It still is popular though. The best it ever got was Kanto for me but the stuff that followed I still really enjoyed. I agree with the part about Ash's past being erased. That annoys me a lot, but apart from that I'm quite enjoying BW and over time they have added a lot to the original concept.

Never, at least for me personally. Not yet might be more of a safe answer to give though.

What the Original Series and any past saga lacked, the newer sagas can give and so it hasn't lost "focus", it's just changed its focus.

Take DP for instance. It gave us some great focus on the Pokémon rather than the humans like the OS did during Kanto. That doesn't mean it lost meaning, its just a different direction. That's how I feel anyway.

When they stop making the games. I love being able to watch the pokemon come to life in animation, and it really helps me appreciate ones I may not have been fond of prior. Hell, if it weren't for the show, I may still dislike Wobbuffet. Call that a shallow reason if you must, but that's how I roll.

Pokemon isn't brilliant by any means, never has been. But for all it's faults, it's still a generally enjoyable, lighthearted show that has enough charm and fun moments to make watching it weekly worthwhile. There are much worse toons out there, and always have been.

They can at least wrap up Ash's story and continue with an anime with new characters every series.

They pretty much do that now anyway.

DP, the build up of his character and Pokemon headed in a direction in which a good ending could've been managed.

In terms of Ash's story: Either at the end of Indigo League where Ash was a better character and got better character development to win the league or at the end of DP where he fought Paul in the SL finals and battled Cynthia in an intense battle where he succeeds her as Champion.

In terms of Pokemon over all: It can last for as long as the games do which will be a while at this rate. Just so long as I'm entertained by the story, characters and the way the games are adapted.

The best place is after BW. Or Never.

Before, maybe after Orange Islands. Ash actually won that championship.

It should end when you stopped liking it.

Alternately, it should end at the season when you stopped being nostalgic for it. :p

N-E-V-E-R

i don't get it, people comment that it should have already ended, and that it lost its meaning...

know What?

stop watching

Either at the end of DP or the end of BW.
Agreed. Definitely at the end of DP!

We could have had Ash winning the league and battling Cynthia.
With Cynthia winning, of course, because Ash should never beat the wonderful Pokemon Queen. I would have been totally satisfied if Ash had become an Elite Four member instead. That's all I want.

I don't think it should end anytime soon. I'm actually enjoying BW, Pikachu's power and Ash's maturity reset aside.

When they stopped making generations. I don't want the generations to continue for fifty years while the various anime with Ash just end. (Personally, I wish they stopped making generations of Pokemon. More games, just not generations. More spin-off games like Ranger and Dungeon. Oh wells...)

To answer the thread question...

......... Kanto? Eighty episodes is decent, imo. If they keep making games with new regions, I kinda think it'd be weird to stop if you go one or two regions already, imo.

PS3D said:
Okay, I know that BW is a bit controversial, and a lot of people don't like it.

That's every series/region.

It's never gonna end. Along as the game, toys, merchandise, characters, action figures, key chains, cards, and other stuff keep doing the same old song and dance. And selling like newborn puppies.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom