• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

when will we recieve johto starters?

outside of the fact he's a champion and former E4 member, he loves dragon types, and he once helped a kid beat up TR, we don't know anything about him

1. He hails from Blackthorn City.
2. He is the grandson of a Dragon Clan Elder.
3. He is one of only a few people to pass the Dragon Master Challenge.
4. His cousin is Clair.
5. He looks like a younger version of his grandfather.
6. He has a caring, compassionate personality. (Something that Steven and Cynthia both lack, IMO.)
7. He cares about Pokémon rights/environmental justice (ie. his activities at the Lake of Rage), possibly to the point of being a bit of a hippie (see Silver calling him a "bleeding heart").
8. He loves to buy capes in Celadon City. (Fame Checker)

What more could you want? You don't have to like his character, but he is *far* from "boring." If it seems like he gets less than the other Champions, it's because GF has screwed his character over compared to the others. (Just compare all of the attention the marketing of ORAS is giving Steven to the almost-zero that both FRLG and HGSS gave Lance.)

Well, I guess that's one thing Elm and Lance have in common. (Besides being from Johto--Hmm, coincidence?)

I don't see this argument have any thing to do with the thread's topic.

I agree with some people here that what happened to Emerald will be another "recycling" if it will happen again in ORAS.

As much as I want to have Johto starters, I think, IMO, there is no way that Johto starters will be given out in the course of the game. Yes, there's a possibility that the starters will be given as reward in post game but I think, it is impossible to give it out while the story is running just like what happened in the Kanto starters for XY.

In Pokemon Emerald, you received a Johto starter by presented a completed Hoenn Pokédex to Professor Birch, so I don't see why GameFreak simply wouldn't replicate that.
Because it was unnecessarily cumbersome; obtaining a Pokémon shouldn't require obtaining 200 other Pokémon first. Besides, these days the reward for completing a regional Pokédex is the Oval Charm.
Good point about the Oval Charm.

At best I can see them replicating the distribution method.
That would be fairly lazy of them. The only reason Prof. Birch distributed the Johto starters in Emerald was that they were tied to completing the Hoenn Pokédex.

In some ways they've been fairly lazy with this game altogether, that wouldn't surprise me.
GameFreak are lazy in general when compared to other game developers, to be perfectly honest. However, wouldn't placing Professor Elm in the game for the mere purpose of giving out a Pokémon be even more cumbersome?

It's also possible that they and other starters might be available in the wild through the islands Mega Lati@s can fly you too, or a Friend Safari-type feature.

GameFreak are lazy in general when compared to other game developers, to be perfectly honest. However, wouldn't placing Professor Elm in the game for the mere purpose of giving out a Pokémon be even more cumbersome?
A returning character distributing a Pokémon isn't cumbersome. There have been far more forced cameos over the years.

It's also possible that they and other starters might be available in the wild through the islands Mega Lati@s can fly you too,
I don't see them making the starters wild Pokémon. Game Freak will most likely have us choose one of each set.

or a Friend Safari-type feature.
Even if such a feature existed, which isn't implied by the extracted data, it wouldn't make the starters easily accessible. Like the Friend Safari itself, it would be a way to make their hidden abilities available.

Even if such a feature existed, which isn't implied by the extracted data, it wouldn't make the starters easily accessible. Like the Friend Safari itself, it would be a way to make their hidden abilities available.

The demo code isn't the end all be all of the game's content, there's still some things missing from the game. I would be very shocked if we couldn't get their HAs in some way in this game, they've been slowly distributing more and more of the unreleased HAs in each game.

A returning character distributing a Pokémon isn't cumbersome. There have been far more forced cameos over the years.
Having to make a model for a character and write them into the game for the sole purpose of giving the player a single Pokémon before disappearing would be cumbersome. All because GameFreak have done cumbersome things in the past, it doesn't make them less cumbersome.

At least in HeartGold/SoulSilver, Steven Stone also appeared in Vermillion City to make the player aware of Latias/Latios and played a part in the Enigma Stone event. As Ho-Oh and Lugia have already been confirmed as appearing in Mirage Spots, perhaps Raikou, Entei and Suicune could justify an appearance from Professor Elm though, unless they've also been dumped into Mirage Spots.

It's also possible that they and other starters might be available in the wild through the islands Mega Lati@s can fly you too,
I don't see them making the starters wild Pokémon. Game Freak will most likely have us choose one of each set.
They were available as wild Pokémon in XY's Friend Safari (although yes, we did have to choose between the set earlier on).

I think I'll be buying GameFreak a plaque that says "Take 1 Step Forward, Then 2 Back" for Christmas...if they don't already have one.

Having to make a model for a character and write them into the game for the sole purpose of giving the player a single Pokémon before disappearing would be cumbersome. All because GameFreak have done cumbersome things in the past, it doesn't make them less cumbersome.

At least in HeartGold/SoulSilver, Steven Stone also appeared in Vermillion City to make the player aware of Latias/Latios and played a part in the Enigma Stone event. As Ho-Oh and Lugia have already been confirmed as appearing in Mirage Spots, perhaps Raikou, Entei and Suicune could justify an appearance from Professor Elm though, unless they've also been dumped into Mirage Spots.

They were available as wild Pokémon in XY's Friend Safari (although yes, we did have to choose between the set earlier on).

I think I'll be buying GameFreak a plaque that says "Take 1 Step Forward, Then 2 Back" for Christmas...if they don't already have one.

ho-oh appearing (not sure if lugia too) would be reason for morty to show up (he did believe he was the one who'd make ho-oh return) and the beasts would be reason for euinsuine to show up, elm has no reason to appear even the kimono girls have a better chance of re appearing

ho-oh appearing (not sure if lugia too) would be reason for morty to show up (he did believe he was the one who'd make ho-oh return) and the beasts would be reason for euinsuine to show up, elm has no reason to appear even the kimono girls have a better chance of re appearing

Except Ho-oh is a Mirage Spot Pokemon and it's not likely that we'll meet any other characters in those areas.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom