• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

when will we recieve johto starters?

GaryOak123

Reaction score
if we get johto starters will it be early on such as with XY or after the elite four, personally i would like it to be early game, but i know othes who want it to be after the elite four

which is more likely?

I think it depends on if they're keeping that feature from Emerald or not. There's no guarantee that the will give you a Johto starter in it.

I think it depends on if they're keeping that feature from Emerald or not. There's no guarantee that the will give you a Johto starter in it.
It's quite likely given Masuda's statement that it will be possible to complete the National Pokédex using XY and ORAS alone. This can include events, but the starters shouldn't be that hard to obtain.

I don't see why the Emerald method should return, though. It was cumbersome and I'd much rather see a Johto character distribute the starters. Maybe Professor Elm and/or Mr. Pokémon will show up and already know the player from their days in Johto.

Last edited:
Some point in the post game, along with a Mega stone. I think they're gonna want to at least have the first 3 starter sets with a mega.

Some point in the post game, along with a Mega stone. I think they're gonna want to at least have the first 3 starter sets with a mega.
I think that their Mega Evolutions will be kept for Generation VII. Restricting to the post-game would be a waste of their marketing potential, and it's logical to only introduce one set of Mega starters per release.

Well we don't have any data on gift Pokemon, so most likely we'll be given them sometime post game. And I also doubt it would be the same as Emerald as well since it was far too restrictive to have to catch every Pokemon in the Hoenn Dex to obtain them (unless they change it to see every Pokemon in Hoenn, that would be slightly more reasonable).

The real interesting question is what about HAs and Mega Evolutions? Now seems like a pretty good time to distribute one or both of them, but I can't see how they would distribute HAs at this point since we already know the Horde List and possibly the Emerald Safari Zone expansion, we'd probably see them catchable somewhere if we could get their HAs.

Well we don't have any data on gift Pokemon, so most likely we'll be given them sometime post game. And I also doubt it would be the same as Emerald as well since it was far too restrictive to have to catch every Pokemon in the Hoenn Dex to obtain them (unless they change it to see every Pokemon in Hoenn, that would be slightly more reasonable).

The real interesting question is what about HAs and Mega Evolutions? Now seems like a pretty good time to distribute one or both of them, but I can't see how they would distribute HAs at this point since we already know the Horde List and possibly the Emerald Safari Zone expansion, we'd probably see them catchable somewhere if we could get their HAs.

The new pokenavs search feature could help us find hidden ability mon, for the starters they can just be given as gift pokemon that have their HA

The new pokenavs search feature could help us find hidden ability mon, for the starters they can just be given as gift pokemon that have their HA

Yes, I know that. What I'm saying is that for all of the HA methods that have been announced so far (which basically amounts to Hordes and DexNav), we already know which Pokemon will be showing up through those methods. And the Johto starters aren't on that list, so that makes me curious about how they'll be distributed. And somehow I doubt that the gifted starters will have their HAs.

Post game, if we get them.

It may not be for completing the Hoenn dex though, reward for beating the league, maybe.

I just ran the numbers, and with the Pokemon revealed so far we're up to around 400 Pokemon total in this game. XY had around 600, so unless they're comfortable with ORAS having significantly less Pokemon then there's still more Pokemon that could be hiding in the game.

if we get johto starters will it be early on such as with XY or after the elite four, personally i would like it to be early game, but i know othes who want it to be after the elite four

which is more likely?

Is this confirmed? If yes, where's the link?

Because as far as I know, these infos are just spoilers and not yet confirmed.

which is more likely?

Nothing about Johto starters has been confirmed yet, it's all speculation.

which is more likely?

Nothing about Johto starters has been confirmed yet, it's all speculation.

Exactly..so I guess this thread should be closed as there is no confirmation yet. Or should be transferred to other thread.

I wouldn't even mind them not having Megas yet if it means I can finally have Sheer Force Gatr.

I'm hoping it is a reward for beating the Elite Four. It would make things way too easy if we got them too early, as it can be argued was the case for XY

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom