• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Champion was the easiest/hardest to beat?

Cilan

Reaction score
The easiest for me was probably Wallace in Emerald, since I had Sceptile and Manectric at a good level. The hardest was Lance and his three Dragonite in SoulSilver.

Easiest: Alder. Doesn't help that he had three Bug-type Pokemon. His type coverage wasn't so good.

Hardest: Cynthia. She had a really good team...perfect IVs and good type coverage. Plus, the level gap between the 8th gym leader and the Elite 4 didn't really help.

Easiest: Alder. Doesn't help that he had three Bug-type Pokemon. His type coverage wasn't so good.

Hardest: Cynthia. She had a really good team...perfect IVs and good type coverage. Plus, the level gap between the 8th gym leader and the Elite 4 didn't really help.

G..GG..Garchomp...

Of the games I played...

Hardest: LANCE. Especially because Dragon and Ice types/ moves are hard to come by during the main story.

Easiest: Alder

Cynthia and her freaking Milotic were a pain in the butt.

I always found Blue remarkably easy because it came down to type matchups in the end.

Hardest: Lance (I don't consider Cynthia for the same reason I don't consider Red in Gold...bonus boss, not in the Pokemon League). Lance was the original dragon master. No matter what you got to counter his dragons, they had a counter-counter. And it's the generation, too...he first came up in Gen II when the only fully-evolved dragons were Kingdra and Dragonite, and it was the first tangle with useful dragon-type moves. There were no dragons with secondary types that made them easy prey for anything BUT Ice-type moves. Plus Swinub/Piloswine came too late in the game to level up (even in HeartGold, grinding is a NIGHTMARE), and if I can recall correctly the damn Dragonites knew something SE against them (Earthquake, I'm thinking?). And he would send the stupid things all out in a row so that (if you didn't use items) when you got him down to the Charizard and Aerodactyl, which are super-easy for me because I always pick Totodile, you only had one Pokemon still alive and you get crushed by easy targets because everyone else got wiped out by the Dragonites.

Easiest: Alder. He didn't specialize in a type, and the variety he had was poor type coverage. It was too easy to counter him.

EDIT: I'll clarify, Lance was in Gen I but he wasn't the champion. He was the last in the Elite Four, and he was a bastard then, too.

I'd have to say Steven in Ruby and Sapphire, I remember having a really tough time with him. I dont really remember how I beat him it was a long time ago, I remember it being a lucky win though.

As for easiest I say Lance. I beat him with one Pokemon last time. Most of his team is part flying type are succeptable to Electric attacks( Charizard, Aerodactyl, Gyarados x2) and an Ice type will take down the Dragonite easily.

Last edited:
Cynthia was the hardest for me. She had awesome balance, and it was only possible to win if I had a balanced team as well.

Lance...I didn't find Lance particularly hard as a champion because by the time I got to him, my Typhlosion would be level 80 or so and just pwn his Dragonites.

Wallace was ridiculously easy with an average Sceptile.

Steven was...he caught me by surprise with a Steel/Fossil team. I had trouble with his Cradily and Armaldo because I didn't know the typing and how the heck I was supposed to counter it. But he wasn't too hard if you had a Groudon and a Blaziken in your team because half his pokemons are steel types

I'll admit, Wallace almost kicked my ass in Emerald, but that was because I was about 5-10 levels lower than him. It didn't help that I picked Torchic as my starter during my first run either. He's pretty easy once you have a good Grass or Electric type on your team though.

Cynthia was tough too, but luckily I was able to kind of breeze through her team because my Empoleon was at lv 73-74 when I got to her.

Now Lance, he was a pain in the ass in SoulSilver. I just had to rely on luck while battling him. I did have to go through a few Full Restores and Max Revives before I finally beat him.

Alder was the easiest for me. I was able to use Simisear to burn his Bugs and his Hydreigon wasn't too bad since I already struggled with Ghetsis' earlier.

Of the games I have played, the easiest was Wallace because I had good Pokemon that could tackle his team. The type-themed champions are always pretty straight-forward provided you know what you're doing. Either way I found Wallace much easier than Steven. Alder was pretty easy too. He can be a little daunting if you aren't leveled up for that second Elite Four challenge but if you are, like I was, he's really quite easy to take down. Like with Wallace, I managed to take him out without having any one of my Pokemon faint.

The hardest Champion was undoubtedly Cynthia. She has amazing type coverage, (not least because she leads with a Spiritomb), and killer move-sets. Unless you know what you're doing or have trained your team specifically to cover ever type (Not that that will always help you), you will need to be carrying a lot of Full Restores, Revives and the like. In fact, the only Champion I can ever remember truly struggling against was Cynthia. And maybe Steven... but I was only about twelve when I was fighting Steven and didn't know much about Steel type.

Not a champion battle - but the final battle of Pokemon Black and White against Ghetsis is painful unless you've trained up for it. It's a huge leap from N, who has a pretty easy team in comparison.

No mention of Iris yet. For shame. Iris is without a doubt an insanely tough Champion. I struggled because I had an all-prevo team, but I know that even if my 'mons were fully evolved, I'd still have had a hard time. All of Iris's Pokemon felt like being hit by a train, that's how crazy powerful they are. My prevo team needed a 10+ level advantage over her just to NOT be curb-stomped. When I take her on again in my new W2 game, I'll try a fully-evolved main-team and see if anything changes.

Shirona was also a very tough champion. I actually lost the first time against her, despite having a 5-level advantage. Her AI seems to be smarter than most other Champions, I could remember 2 occasions in the same battle where she switched out her Pokemon when I thought I had her cornered. Her Spiritomb is especially an unpleasant surprise, since it doesn't have any weaknesses to exploit.

Steven in RS also gave me quite a bit of trouble, it took me forever to kill his Skarmory (damn you Full Restore).

Wallace was also rather a pain in the neck. I had an electric type, Lanturn, but she had all HM-Water moves. 8U When I realized it, epic face palm. The only electric move I had was my Gardevoir and his Shock Wave. 8D; So that was one battle I struggled through when it should have been easy.

Speaking of easy, Alder, Blue, and Lance were all very easy for me.

Alder because by the time I faced him, my main team were all at level 100, and two of my mons had type advantages over all his Pokemon.

Blue was easy because I studied up on his team beforehand and planned/level-grinded accordingly, lol.

And Lance is such a pushover, even with his 3 hacked overkill Dragonites. 2 words, Lance: Dragon Claw. Didn't even break a sweat.

I'd have to say Wallace/Alder as the easiest. You almost want to go up to them with no electric-grass/rock moves to make it more interesting.

Then Cynthia as the toughest. She is good, the only thing thats too bad is that the game is never really that challenging, but if the AI had been more advanced and she'd been more strategic, then her team would be a HUGE pain in the neck, I mean Milotic, Garchomp, Spiritomb, Lucario....gosh, she's seriously the best trainer by far in Sinnoh, and that's what makes her the only real champion for me in the game.

It took me two years to beat Cynthia......

... And it took me five minutes to beat Alder.

I feel rather dumb...I completely forgot Cynthia was the champion in Gen IV. I played through Platinum a while ago and never picked it back up. I don't remember half the junk that's in Sinnoh 0.o

Iris was not as hard as Lance for me by a long shot. Dragons, yes, but part of the challenge of Lance was that in Johto it is very hard to level up while it is much easier to get your team to similar levels to hers in Unova.

Hardest was the Lance rematch on SoulSilver. Easiest I don't really know. I have to admit that Iris was surprisingly tough though, especially her Life Orb'd Hydreigon.

Easiest was Steven in Emerald, I had a pretty basic team that had most of his weaknesses
Hardest was Cynthia in any, I never liked her Garchomp or Spiritomb

Iris was hard because someone let the programmers (or whoever decides what the movesets/items for trainers will be) on Smogon in addition to the high levels. Cynthia is still hard no matter how many times I replay a Sinnoh game - that Garchomp is a beast, and her other pokemon aren't any slouches either.

Easiest...I think I'll have to go with Blue. By the time you get to him, you already know his team pretty much backwards and forwards and which of your pokemon most easily counter each of his.

And Lance is such a pushover, even with his 3 hacked overkill Dragonites. 2 words, Lance: Dragon Claw. Didn't even break a sweat.

When I first challenged Lance there was no such thing as Dragon Claw. You had Twister (useless) and Outrage.

I don't see how everyone found Lance easy unless they did some intensely mind-numbing grinding. He was literally the ONLY champion I did not beat on the first try.

When I first challenged Lance there was no such thing as Dragon Claw. You had Twister (useless) and Outrage.

I don't see how everyone found Lance easy unless they did some intensely mind-numbing grinding. He was literally the ONLY champion I did not beat on the first try.

I think they meant HGSS

Well, for me, I didn't level grind particularly. I just solo'd the region with only my starter and by the time I got to the Pokemon League my Typhlosion OHKO'd pretty much anything in his way. I took care of Lance easily with the monstrous level 80 Typhlosion ... so yeah. No level grinding. Just a result of over-using and only-raising your starter

Please note: The thread is from 11 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom