• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which do you like more: comedic episodes or battle-oriented episodes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellion

Child of the Atom
Reaction score
It's no secret that some episodes of the Pokémon Animé are built around comedy and showing off the characters' personalities and playing off their interactions, while others are more centered on the overall plot and battles, be it gyms, rival battles or simply training. Which is better? Battles? Comedy? The episodes that blend both?

I personally prefer comedy, but some battles could be entertaining.

I suppose battling oriented but...

I like comedy but not in the way the show is presenting it. I like the jokes on Bleach, Naruto and other such anime because the humor tells us more about the characters and advances the plot. Lights camera quacktion and the like have very little to do with Ash's quest to become Pokemon master other than the fact then it has Pokemon in it. More comedic filler of Bleach still has funny jokes but feel more in place because they still have Hollow and soul reaping. Very dramatic episodes can also be out of place because the are not about conflict for power involving Pokemon training or use of power Pokemon training see Pikahunna and the joy of pokemon. Throwing in a fight with team rocket doesn't sway me at all. Because one they are joke villians and two it is just Thrown in.. To me Pokemon is not just about Pokemon to me it is more specific it is about Pokemon training and no matter whoever the characters are or whatever tone theme or arch key word they want to use they should keep that in mind.

Over all I just want Pokemon to have a plot and Ash advancing his skills or facing a strange new foe seem to have more substance then ca-shades of randomness like in the pink or whatever.

I like battle-oriented but what's wrong with having both? There is alot of comedy and junk going on but the episodes that had battles in them seemed like they disappeared. It's not like the old days. I guess the writers aren't as creative with the battles as they used to be.

I like both, but I lean more towards battle-oriented episodes in general, because I'm obsessed with the battle system in the games themselves. I'm forever interested to see how the moves and abilities of Pokemon would work in a real time environment.

I like both, but only if comedic issues are not overly stupid. I can even tolerate comedic battles... only if they are done right.

In the episode where Ash's gym battle against Elesa takes place, Elesa kinda saved the show from being ruined by Ash's idiocy. He was being too stupid to be even called comedic, but Elesa's over-dramatic gesture and model-ish show-offs were portrayed in the RIGHT comedic way.

It ultimately boils down to quality of the episode, really. Both animation-wise and writing-wise. If you ask whether I like evil Togepi episode or Nozomi's debut, I would say evil Togepi episode. If you ask however whether I like evil Togepi episode or Naoshi vs. Nozomi, I would definately say Naoshi vs. Nozomi.

However;
a)I much prefer watching comical episodes than battle oriented ones, as they are easier to follow.
b)I much prefer watching episodes that are both battle oriented AND comical than the ones that are oriented over one, especially if they have good character interaction, good development and good characters overall, such as Don Battle Tournament arc, Langley and Kenyan's debut episodes, and Gamagaru and Muggyo's capture episodes etc.

I like comic episodes, especially if they are REALLY stupid. Battle oriented episodes are good, too though.

I like comedic episodes. My favorite episode in BW is "Baffling the Boufflant", where the group gets separated and everyone ends up with an afro. It's cute how attached Emolga gets to her pink wig.

I'm getting a little sick of the comic oriented episodes because they are running them into the ground. Now it's time for battle sentric.

Last edited:
I like a nice balance. Anyone remember when battles could be dead serious, but later on there would be a hint of humor in there? Or when we had a hilarious episode that underlined plot? That's what I'd like to see. I mean the writers can only make a battling sequence so many times before you can tell what the characters are going to do, or have the characters act "funny" to the point of annoyance. But having some humor that ties in the current events of the arc with the battle would be my ideal.

A nice balace of both to be honest. Strictly one or the other would get a bit tiresome.

Definately battle episodes, whole point of pokemon in my opinion. I find the combat aspect of pokemon is done well but comedy has really gone down the drain, especially since it is thrown in our face every couple of seconds and interupts potentially good moments. If they cut it down, I'd find it more funny.

Always love comedy always enjoy comedy. More comedy is ok for me, but if its repeated several times, then its no longer comedy...

Sadly most of the "comedy" in BW have become very tired gags

I'm leaning more towards battle-centric, but I do enjoy both and agree that balance is the best way to go so we never get that "too much of a good thing" feeling.

Well, the show isn't good at comedy and the battles are rarely interesting, so neither. An episode with a plot that's actually thought out combined with some humor and creative battles is ideal, but rare.

Comedic all the way for me, so long as they are actually funny. As far as battle-oriented episodes, I like the league ones the best. The standard battles can get fairly bland in large volumes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom