• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which English Dub Episodes/Specials/Shorts are not on DVD?

Darkspecter

Reaction score
Hello. I'm new here and I've been a life-long fan of the Pokemon anime. I have just recently purchased all of the English dub on DVD, including the movies. I'm only missing "Hoopa and the Clash of Ages." I even purchased "Pokemon Origins" and "Pokemon Chronicles" from Australia (along with a few of the season sets that haven't been re-released and are currently too expensive). I also picked up "Pikachu's Winter Vacation" (for the 2 episodes not included in Chronicles).

My question is, which specials, episodes, shorts (like the Pikachu Shorts), etc. that were dubbed in English are not available on DVD? I want to watch Pokemon in its entirety and I'm having trouble figuring out what I need to locate online.

I also want the episodes, specials, shorts, etc. that were not dubbed in English. I've had pretty good luck locating those. I'm only unable to find 2 clip shows, 3 specials...and a pile of the Pikachu shorts.

I've located the following banned episodes online:

- 18: Beauty and the Beach
- 35: Legend of Dratini
- 38: Cyber Soldier Porygon
- 250: Ice Cave!

I have the original DVD sets with Holiday Hi-Jynx, Stage Fright! and The Mandarin Island Miss Match. Luckily I did my research first, so I didn't buy the re-releases of those.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

The only dubbed episode never released on DVD is Beauty and the Beach. The other "banned" episodes you listed were, as far as we know, never dubbed at all.

Also, the original US DVD releases of the first eight movies were cropped and oversaturated. The later DVD, Blu-Ray and iTunes re-releases undid this, but cut all of the bonus features, including the Pikachu shorts. Ideally you should pick up both, but I recommend hunting down the first-printers if you had to pick one for your collection.

The only dubbed episode never released on DVD is Beauty and the Beach. The other "banned" episodes you listed were, as far as we know, never dubbed at all.

Also, the original US DVD releases of the first eight movies were cropped and oversaturated. The later DVD, Blu-Ray and iTunes re-releases undid this, but cut all of the bonus features, including the Pikachu shorts. Ideally you should pick up both, but I recommend hunting down the first-printers if you had to pick one for your collection.
So over saturation is better than no specials at all? Good thing I have the original DVDs...

So over saturation is better than no specials at all? Good thing I have the original DVDs...
From a collector's standpoint, yes, as they're the only way to get the Pikachu shorts for those movies, as well as The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon. The newer releases are definitely the better versions of the main feature, though.

Oh, I forgot. The Pikachu shorts for movies 15-18, as well as Mewtwo: Prologue to Awakening are not available on home video in the US, but they can easily be found online.

Thanks for the reply. :) I found the other episodes subtitled, so I can watch them at least. I have the original versions with the Pikachu shorts and I bought the new blu-ray 3 pack. I don't think I have widescreen versions for 4-7 (those sets haven't arrived yet). I know they released the blu-ray 4 pack, but it's very hard to find. I've seen some of those movies re-released on widescreen, but I haven't seen the Jirachi movie in that format on DVD (North American version.

From a collector's standpoint, yes, as they're the only way to get the Pikachu shorts for those movies, as well as The Mastermind of Mirage Pokémon. The newer releases are definitely the better versions of the main feature, though.

Oh, I forgot. The Pikachu shorts for movies 15-18, as well as Mewtwo: Prologue to Awakening are not available on home video in the US, but they can easily be found online.
Ugh. That's SO disappointing about the Pikachu shorts. I bought a movie lot with all of them, so I wasn't aware the shorts weren't included with every film. :(

What's the deal with the Mystery Dungeon Anime specials? I see there's a French DVD of them. Are they on any North American DVDs?

Actually, the current DVD of Movie 8 is basically the same disc as before, and still cropped.

I thought so. I have the special edition one with the Mastermind special (from the lot I purchased) and I also bought the Australian DVD, which is widescreen. I don't think it's available in widescreen on any North American DVDs.

Thanks for the help so far, guys. I really appreciate it. :)

I don't think I have widescreen versions for 4-7 (those sets haven't arrived yet). I know they released the blu-ray 4 pack, but it's very hard to find. I've seen some of those movies re-released on widescreen, but I haven't seen the Jirachi movie in that format on DVD (North American version.
So you did buy those movies? Because I found a widescreen DVD 4-pack here.
No American DVD, but Team Go-Getters is available on Pokemon's YouTube page for free legally:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAOmQ-foqeg

Not only that, but the other three specials as well.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
No American DVD, but Team Go-Getters is available on Pokemon's YouTube page for free legally:

Thank you. That's cool. It's too bad they aren't on DVD, but I'm glad I can watch them. Thank you.

So you did buy those movies? Because I found a widescreen DVD 4-pack here.

I do have those ones. That movie 4 pack is on one DVD, so I'm staying away from that release. I've read the quality wasn't the greatest on the blu-ray with the 4 movies, so I can't imagine what it would be like on a DVD. lol

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have the original DVD sets with Holiday Hi-Jynx, Stage Fright! and The Mandarin Island Miss Match. Luckily I did my research first, so I didn't buy the re-releases of those.
I'm playing catch up and I'm starting to buy the seasons and movies also.

Like you I was doing my research in regards to this, but unfortunately I didn't realise Beyond Home Entertainment had re-released the original 2010 Digipak set with the same cover and all a couple of months back and removed these eps off this set too. What caught me out with this is the boxset having no indication on it until you buy it and actually play the discs as it still states it has the 52eps on it and all.

So a quick question, I've read conflicting info in different places, but does the Slimline region 4 release contain these episodes?. Someone on another forum told me they have this release and it has them on theirs but on Bulba wiki it says this is not the case. If they do, I'll try to track down a second hand copy as they're out of print along with the original Digipak's and Super Wallets.
BHE certainly make collecting the correct season releases as hard as possible with all constant re-releases.

Any help on this is much appreciated guys.

WRONG.

The first three Mystery Dungeon specials were released on DVD in North America. The only thing is these DVDs were exclusive to pre-orders of the actual Mystery Dungeon video games. These are quite rare but I own all three.
I did not know that!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom