• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which English Names Do You Think Are Better?

Reaction score
This mainly applies to Pokemon, but I feel it can extend to people, cities, places etc as well.

Is there anything where you felt that the English version/Dubbed version was superior to the Japanese? For example, I feel that Gardevoir is a much more fitting name than Sirknight.

Probably all of them. I don't even bother to learn any names of Pokémon, characters, places, etc. outside of my own language since I'll never use them anyway.

I have learned almost every english names for Pokémon on top of the french ones. Aside of Blitzle, I'll stick with baguette-power when it comes to Pokémon names :V

I really cannot think of an answer to a question like this, only because like so many people here, I play the English-language games and go by the English names all the time. It's just easier.

I think a better question would be what Japanese names we prefer over the English ones.

@teleport
I don't know what you mean when you say "blatant" Japanese, either. I can understand being frustrated at the thought of people who think everything Japanese is superior and being close-minded about everything else, but I really don't get your comment, especially considering Pokemon is a Japanese franchise.

I prefer Barrierd over Mr. Mime. I'd be fine with it if Mr. Mime was a male only Pokémon, but it isn't.....

In Japanese, Articuno is known as Freezer, Zapdos is known as Thunder, and Moltres is known as Fire.

Considering how undeniably unoriginal and uninspired it sounds, Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres were definitely the better choice... :D

Not to mention Zapdos and Jolteon almost share a Japanese name, as Jolteon's Japanese name is Thunders, another name I don't like.

Last edited:
I prefer the English names a lot more than the Japanese names, there are some Japanese names that are really boring and uncreative like Thunder for Zapdos, the only English name i find uncreative is Talonflame, they could have come up with a much better name for it.

Jolteon, Vaporeon and Flareon
VS
Thunders, Showers and Booster

Yeah... Those aren't really the best jap names around :U

I mean, like everyone else said, basically all of them. I also think this question would be better posed the other way around since there are only a handful of Japanese names most people who play the games in English know. :p

The Eeveelutions and the Legendary birds are great examples of superior English names. Specifically the Eeveelutions, since the Japanese names don't sound related as a whole, but, rather, related in groups.

Showers, Booster, and Thunders
Eifie and Blacky
Leafia, Glacia, and Ninfia

There's no consistency and, as an Eeveelution fanatic, it just bothers me~ XP

I also really prefer the English names of the Lake Trio. They just seem more "Pixie-y" than the Japanese names.

I actually prefer the Japanese names for the lake trio, and nicknamed them the Romaji names before transfer to gen V.

Also Satoshi > Ash. Don't even know why.

The fact that Japanese substitutes B for V and W sounds makes for some amusing (yet inferior) names, like Beedle and Bictini.

Actually in my case:
Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Shinnoh: Japanese
Unova/Orre: English
Kalos: French

I've always preferred Golett over Gobit. Golett just sounds small and cute but Gobit sounds a bit awkward. But that's just me.

Gobit sounds small and cute too. I think the word bit sounds small. It's like a binary digit, which it small. I never liked the -lett ending for some reason. Perhaps I get other associations. Is it a French suffix?

I've always preferred Golett over Gobit. Golett just sounds small and cute but Gobit sounds a bit awkward. But that's just me.

Gobit sounds small and cute too. I think the word bit sounds small. It's like a binary digit, which it small. I never liked the -lett ending for some reason. Perhaps I get other associations. Is it a French suffix?

-ette is a French suffix, which is similar.

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom