• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which female protagonist had the best role in a movie?

Which female character had the best role in the movies?

• Misty

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • May

Votes: 44 63.8%
  • Dawn

Votes: 29 42.0%
  • Iris

Votes: 2 2.9%

• Total voters
Same here. At least those two were likeable and had tangible goals that they progressively worked toward. Misty and Iris are just so whiny, and they don't really feel like competent battlers to me. Even though Misty is a gym leader, she just came across as unjustly arrogant to me.

Depends for who, because i definitely didnt found Misty whiny and annoying. She had fun personality being feisty,snarky, adventurous and wasnt afraid to stand up for herself working hard for everything she got. Also Misty had goal to become water master which unfortunately wasnt much expanded due to writers inexperience, but she was definitely competent battler being very passionate about it never backing down to challenge. And at least at times you could feel some progress was made, compared to Iris case where writers are seemingly slowly going away from main plot Axew with little to none step forward being made toward it.

When it comes to main girl roles in movies,while May and Dawn got more exposure and focus having some great moments i still think Misty had pretty good role for supporting character in them. Especially in second and third movie contributing to movie plot being important part indirectly and producing some great comedy and character dynamic.

Although admittedly i thought it was nice and touching way in which May bonded with Manaphy growing close to each other which was in a way testament to growth she made as character becoming more open toward pokemon.

Last edited:
Movie 1: focused on Ash, Misty/Brock didn't do anything

Movie 2: focused on Ash, Misty had nice moments, Tracey barely did anything (though he did help Misty save Ash... but that's all)

Movie 3: focused on Ash, Misty and Brock both got to contribute and help through the movie (pairing with Ash to use fire / water moves to enter Molly's home, battling Molly, etc)

Movie 4: focused on Ash, Misty/Brock didn't really do anything (though I seem to remember Brock helped for a second with Onix, and earlier also sent Croabt to find Ash, but that's all)

Movie 5: focused on Ash, Misty/Brock didn't do much, other than Misty having a nice moment in the opening water race (and I think both sent their Poké to help Ash or something?...)

Movie 6: focused mainly on Ash but also lots on Max too, May had nice moments, Brock got nothing

Movie 7: focused on Ash, Brock/May/Max didn't do anything (they did help with some stuff, but still didn't really play more than a minor role)

Movie 8: totally focused on Ash and Brock/May/Max did nothing

Movie 9: focused on May until Ash stole the movie from her at the ending, nothing for Max/Brock

Movie 10: focused equally on both Ash and Dawn as two equal stars, while Brock got to help a little

Movie 11: focused equally on both Ash and Dawn with Ash getting a little more, "stealing" the ending "save the day" thing, BUT while he did this Dawn continued to do stuff to help too, unlike Brock who didn't really do anything this movie

Movie 12: focused on Ash, with Brock/Dawn helping in some scenes and Dawn also getting the "bonus" of the opening tag battle together with Ash

Movie 13: didn't really focus on anyone especially, but Ash got the more active role by default, while Brock and Dawn got to help a little

So yeah... Ash got to star in all movies, May "half starred" in movie 9 and Max kind of got the same treatment for movie 6, Dawn starred with him for 10-11 and none of the others got a starring role
So girls wise, Dawn got the most, then May and then Misty
Judging by Movie 14 and the BW series itself, it's pretty obvious the focus is totally on Ash and I doubt Iris or Cilan will get a big role in a movie... though at least it looks like they might do a little more in Movie 15, due to what we saw so far in trailers + the fact Kyurem is ice/dragon (loved and hated types of Iris) + how it seems there are no movie-only important human characters so they might be able to use more the actual main cast

Dawn didn't really do much more than an average sidekick character in 11 and 12.

You should really rewatch Movie 11 then, because she and Ash were focused on equally till the very end when Ash gets to the "save the day" thing, and while he's doing that, Dawn is still doing things to help too, unlike Brock who's just standing at the background (as he did during the whole movie, actually...)
You can't say Movie 11 didn't treat her much better than Movie 12 did...

Gotta go with May who had a whole movie about her and had significant roles in M06 and M07. Dawn got a pretty good one too in M10. But she was pretty ignored after that movie. May was treated the best movie wise while Dawn got the anime during DP.

It depends.

Iris and Misty seems be ignored during the movies. They don't play any of the central role, supporting not even...

Max play a central role in movie 6, protecting jirachi and that's it.
May Play a central role in movie 9, protecting Manaphy and that's about it.

Dawn never play any central role(but more of share role with ash), but pretty active in movie 10-12, and not so much in movie 13.
Ash try to save her from falling and she saves ash from falling off the spiral tower in return. She solve the puzzle, generate electricity by her pachurisu's discharge and ash's pikachu for the music to turn on and save the world from destruction. I think Darkrai are the actually main character.
She Help shaymin to get to flower garden, fight off Zero's army of magnemite/magneton/magnezone, travel thru distort world. Save giratina by newton and ash's help. Ash stole her role during the final fight against zero. But she try to fend of the glacier from coming to town.
Movie 12, save ash from the attack, tag battle against bronzone and heatran, win and free them, helping ash to get jewel of life to save arceus from dying.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom