• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which game/region was/is your favorite?

shadowfire

Reaction score
Hey guys my name is Marquis. I have a brother and a lot of friends that play pokemon. And we always somehow argue about which region and game is or was the best. I always go with the Hoenn region and pokemon emerald due to me feeling that pokemon emerald had the most activities to do during and after the game. I also love the Hoenn region due to latios, latias, jirachi, rayquaza, blaziken, and gardevoir. I also feel like the landscape in the game is the most diverse and beautiful. I also shamefully admit I love the music in the game. Oh and I love Ruby and Sapphire! I would ship them so hard [emoji176] so I'm done blabbering. Which one is yours?

B/W are my favorite games in the series because of how well-written they were, while Sinnoh might be my favorite region because of the snow and mountains.

B/W are my favorite games in the series because of how well-written they were, while Sinnoh might be my favorite region because of the snow and mountains.

Right here, essentially. For me, Gen V has the best storyline (and, I liked the whole "pseudo-reboot" thing), while Sinnoh is the most well-designed region. The Sinnoh games are the best when it comes to exploration and RPG-ness (the drawback is that, in both the Sinnoh games and the Johto remakes, the Pokémon selection is horrid - the Johto games are worse-off, though, because their region design is also bad).

My favorite games and regions line up: Crystal and HeartGold are my favorite games, and Johto is my favorite region.

I really loved the character designs of the player characters, gym leaders, and other NPCs in Johto, both in the original games and the remakes. For the region itself, I really appreciated the way Johto was very easy to maneuver around in; it wasn't too big, and there wasn't anything annoying to really impede non-Fly travel (such as, for instance, Mt. Coronet in Sinnoh). Many locations were beautiful, particularly Ecruteak City, and the Pokemon that debuted in Johto are the strongest design-wise, in my opinion.

Crystal wasn't my first game in the series, but I adored it even more than Yellow (which was my first). I loved the day/night cycles, the way Team Rocket was trying to stage a comeback, the new starters, the baby Pokemon, the semi-new friendship value, the fantastic legendaries (especially Suicune and Ho-oh), two new types, the ability to travel to Kanto... HeartGold also lived up to my high expectations for a remake and then some, and the addition of the Pokeathlon was great. It's my favorite subquest-esque feature of any Pokemon game to date.

Both Crystal and HeartGold give me a very special, warm feeling when I play them, and it is a feeling that no other main series Pokemon game has quite matched for me.

My favorite game is definitely Pokemon Emerald. The region was really different from what we had seen before, the story was really immersive and the Pokemon selection was quite nice in my opinion. It's probably the Pokemon game I've put the most hours into as well.

My favorite game is definitely Pokemon Emerald. The region was really different from what we had seen before, the story was really immersive and the Pokemon selection was quite nice in my opinion. It's probably the Pokemon game I've put the most hours into as well.
I have the myboy app. And I can honestly say that I've played emerald at least 7 times after my first time playing it in general. The only other game that I play is flora sky XD. I hate flora sky so much I don't know why but it seems so hard lol

My favorite game and favorite region are very different.

My favorite region is Hoenn and maybe, Kalos, because the last one is very well designed. Hard to decide.
And my favorite game is BW.

Last edited:
Seems like a lot of varied answers here! My favorite's gotta be Jhoto, It added so many mechanics like breeding, shinies, Pokerus, tons of endgame content, the epic final battle with red, 16 badges to earn, and it felt like a true sequel to the original games! I can't say enough good things about gen 2 :D

I'm throwing in my least favorite too; would probably be Sinnoh

I'm Sinnoh and Platinum all the way

This for me. :D Sinnoh is just so beautiful and I loved Platinum's storyline and character designs. In fact, Sinnoh also has the only male player character that really appeals to me. Well, except for maybe Red. But he just looks okay to me. Lucas just looks plain cool, imo. Sinnoh also has a lot of my favorite Pokemon.

Oh, you know who also first appeared in Sinnoh? LOOKER! <3

For me, it's Unova. I loved the story, loved the Region's layout and the Pokemon... Well, four of my top three favorite Pokemon come from Unova. To say that I like the native Pokemon would be a slight understatement. :sweatlol:

Right here, essentially. For me, Gen V has the best storyline (and, I liked the whole "pseudo-reboot" thing), while Sinnoh is the most well-designed region. The Sinnoh games are the best when it comes to exploration and RPG-ness.

This. B/W/B2/W2 for story, Platinum for everything else and Sinnoh as favorite region, with Johto and Kalos not far behind.

Sinnoh definitely for my favorite region. Game? I'm going to have to go with my first ever game, Platinum. That is the only game out of all the Pokemon and non-Pokemon games that I have poured so many hours into. But I will say that B/W/W2/B2 are right behind. Unova has alot of personal meaning to me, not only because B/W were my second Pokemon games I ever played, but because I just freaking adored the characters (especially N and my PC, Rose), the story...all of it. ♥ If it wasn't for Sinnoh/Platinum then they'd be on top, but they're in second place for now. x3.

If it counts, Ransei, which is the only region to have everything from volcanic areas to snowy mountains to deserted areas to industrial areas.

First is GSC Johto. Apart from being the first games that I played, Kanto-Johto had the best implementation of geography realism in a Pokemon game.
Firstly, there's the accurate interpretation of Kyoto and Nara. With actual Japanese temples in both cities, and some more Japanese architecture in other Johto cities as well. Then there is also the ability to travel between two regions, and that both regions are reliant on each other - which is exactly the case with the Pacific urban belt of Osaka-Nagoya-Tokyo and everything in between. Then there are the legendaries which actually come from Japanese mythology. Ho-oh takes the cake here, as there is actually a temple dedicated to (the real-life mythology's) Ho-oh in Uji, south of Kyoto. To this day, Ho-oh is my favourite Pokemon, because of the accurate depiction of a "Japanese" Pokemon.

In other words, there is very little unnecessary artistic license. Almost all of the artistic license in the Pokemon region are either standard features required for a Pokemon world, or understandable ones for gameplay purposes. (As much as I would prefer, I can see trying to make 50 kana Unowns would be a pain in the butt.)

A close second is XY Kalos for basically the same reasons. The depiction of French and particularly Parisian architecture, and the amount of French references in the game really shows that GF actually gave a lot of attention in similarly making a region look real. Again, almost all of the artistic license XY had were either features that actually added to the Pokemon World (riding Gogoat, for example), or standard stuff expected for a Pokemon game (Trainer routes, Pokemon Gyms, etc). Actually, even the Trainer routes are done better in XY; they actually look like paths within a wide variety of environments as opposed to constantly having forests everywhere.

Last edited:
My top game: Alpha Sapphire. It remade my previous faveourite game (Emerald) and made it a looot better than it already was!

My top region: Hoenn and Shinnoh. Both are great and contrast with each other. One has a lot of water and green and blue colours, while the other has a lot of mountains, snow and fogs.

Last edited:
I'm Sinnoh and Platinum all the way

I love you!
Well, my favorite region is without a doubt Sinnoh; Why? First, the design of the Pokemon, I just love Mamoswine, Weavile, Gallade, Froslass, Abomasnow, and so many others-in fact, Empoleon is my favorite starter ever!
Second, the DPPt meta was my noob time, but was very fun to play when I finally got into competitive Pokemon.
Third, the region was so filled with snow and ice, and so many new ice-type Pokemon...forget about a tropical heaven, an icy heaven is for me!
Forth, I got almost everything I wanted in gen4; I wanted a Grass/Ice Pokemon based on a fir tree and got Snover and Aboamsnow, I wanted an Ice/Ghost combo and got Froslass, Weavile, Mamoswine and Togekiss were all insane improvements to bad Pokemon I loved all along (RSE Piloswine was terrible)-the only think I didn't get was a Deibird evo. Someone even asked me, "how did you get everything you wanted?".
Fifth, the physical-special split was the best change ever, finally people started using Sneasel as an Ice-type!
The only think I didn't like was the lack of Water-types, which by itself is softened by Empoleon, the coolest starter ever! My favorite game is Platinum, the distortion world was so amazing, and Cynthia is the best champion ever! I sure hope there will be a D/P remake in some day, Id'e pay with my blood for that!

Last edited:
My personal favorite is RSE/ORAS in my favorite region, Hoenn.

Though I still love every region. I love the characters and fantastic story of BW/B2W2, I like the snowy mountainous areas of Sinnoh, along with the overall good region design and epic legendaries. Kanto and Johto are also both fantastic classics, and I love them too. Kalos was a great addition too, and I enjoyed the French themes :)

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom