• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Gen I VC Game Will You Pick First?

GeekyGamerZack

My OTHER mount is a dragon!
Reaction score
I didn't see any threads discussing this topic, so I thought I'd open it. Whether you thought it'd happen or not, the Gen I Pokémon games are due for release in the Nintendo eShop in just a few days' time. Which version will you choose? If you intend to get more than one, then which would you like to play first? What would you like to do during your playthrough of that particular version?

I'm most likely going to choose Red Version first. When I was 12, I had planned to pick up Red as my very first Pokémon game, but the topsy-turvy sprite of a certain purple, gas-filled Pokémon that shall remain nameless (as well as a few other sprites I thought looked weird) caused me to get Yellow instead, since the Pokémon in it looked "normal". Plus, Pikachu follows you around, and the game is full-colour, so how could young me pass it up?

Some years later, I received Blue as a Christmas gift, and I currently own FireRed and LeafGreen, but I've never owned the original Red in any form (though I did try my cousin's copy the Christmas before picking up Yellow). I have a $15 Nintendo eShop Card, which I'd like to use to buy Pokémon Red Version, as well as the matching 3DS theme. It's gonna be awesome to bond with my Charmander which will never be able to learn Fly! :LOL:

Blue Version. It is one of only three Pokémon games that I have never played (the other two being Diamond and Pearl), so I would like to try it. Kid-me always preferred the blue color, but I always thought Charizard was cooler (and we only had the money for one game), so I missed out.

I wouldn't touch Yellow Version again because I hate playing in the anime's backwash.

My very first game was Red, so it will be the first Virtual Console game I buy. I'll probably buy the others later on anyway.

I think I'm going with Yellow, because although Red is my favorite I have yet to try Yellow and this seems like the perfect opportunity to do so.

I'm getting the #pokemon20 3DS on Monday after, so I'll be getting Yellow first as it was my favorite in Gen I

Red. I prefer the version exclusives in it over Blue and Yellow.

I'm conflicted between Yellow and Blue. On the one hand, I can get all the Starters in Yellow. On the other, I'm not interested in playing as Ash. One thing's for sure though: fuck Charizard.

I pre-ordered Blue on VC, and Yellow and Red as the 2DS packages coming out. I really loved the walking pokemon thing in HG/SS so I really wanted Yellow. I wanted the Blue 2DS bundle but I couldn't find it anywhere ^T__T^ and at that point Red was the only one I could find.

Since Blue is VC and the other two are being shipped here from Japan I'll probably play Blue first, although it depends on how much coursework I have to do. Spring break is the week after this coming week so if the other two arrive before then I might have to roll a d4 to decide.

What do I want to do? Well as always my OCD says GET EVERYTHING. So my goal as usual is completing the dex. ^^

Gonna grab Yellow. Definitely the best of the three. I may grab Red later on down the line though.

Going for Yellow first as it was my first game, then probably Blue as I played Red recently (still have the cartridge xD).

Does anyone know if it will definitely be available from 12 tonight on the eshop for Europe? it's 18:45 where I am so I'm hoping it will be?

I love Yellow's sprites and Pikachu's "Pika!" but I want a Raichu... So I'm probably going with Red instead. My Yellow copy was stolen years ago but I plan to buy it back and complete the collection. I've never been a fan of virtual console games, personally. Only getting one of these games because my Gameboy Advance SP needs a new battery.

Going for Yellow first as it was my first game, then probably Blue as I played Red recently (still have the cartridge xD).

Does anyone know if it will definitely be available from 12 tonight on the eshop for Europe? it's 18:45 where I am so I'm hoping it will be?
I was able to download Pokémon Red Version at midnight here, so I guess it'd be the same worldwide.

I'm also getting Red at midnight!

I'm waiting for someone to confirm whether they changed ghosts to being supereffective against psychic, and whether the slash criticial hit thing is still wonky, because that'll influence which Pokes I pick for my team :)

Since Missingno is still here I'm not expecting them to change anything, but you never know.

R/B/Y VC are now available in EU! Likely going to be up at midnight in the US as well.

I have played Red and Yellow, so I will deffo get Blue, however I am tempted to pick up Yellow first, then get the Blue themed 3ds with blue pre installed.

I went with Red Version because that was the one I had as a kid, while my big brother had Blue Version. Gotta be honest and say I splurged a wee bit and have extra in my Nintendo account to get Yellow Version in the future haha :D
Hope everyone has got the Version they wanted and is having fun playing and reminiscing!

Please note: The thread is from 8 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom