• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which genearation has the BEST POKEMON DESIGNS?

Boss1708

Pokémon Master
Reaction score
Rank the current VI generations frombest to worst in terms of Pokemon designs.

For me, the first generations have the best designs.

My ranking would be:

Gen III > II > I > IV >VI > V

However, this ranking is without counting Mega Evolutions. If we count Mega Evos, Gen VI would be my favourite, as it has given Mega Evoutions to almost all my favourite Pokemon and they are mostly all great.

PD Try to elaborate more than I did,why do you rank each Gen where you rank it.

Last edited:
V > IV > II > III > VI > I

I feel like Gen V had the strongest designs overall. There are no pokemon that I feel were lazily designed or that I'm actively disappointed in.

Gen IV hold a lot of nostalgic value for me, gotta love those rose tinted glasses.

Gen II's designs were really simple but all of them were awesome.

Gen III was pretty good overall. I love the colors in most of the designs.

Gen IV a few of my favorite designs came from this Gen. BUT also some of my absolute least favorite came from it also.

Gen I was pretty basic, not a lot stand out in either direction. Nothing terrible, nothing great.

Last edited:
This question is quite loaded and very subjective. Every gen has good and bad Pokemon in them and on top of that u could argue that all Pokemon r both good and bad at the same time bc not everyone agrees on certain Pokemon being good and others being bad.

Even though Gen 1 was my first Gen (I'm really old), I actually really like the designs of the Gen 6 Pokemon. Personally I feel it's good they had less new Pokemon and instead put more effort into their design. So pretty much quality over quantity. But as TheMonster6893 it is very subjective and will be very different for everyone.

Different generations aren't necessarily "good" or "bad" to me, but each one has its own sort of characteristic, and within them I like different Pokemon. For instance, gen I is all simple, realistic designs, not very much variation from the thing they're based off. It's very natural. This works for some, like victreebel and blastoise, but not so much for things like muk or electrode (keep in mind, these are all opinions). Gen II has more creative influences while keeping the simpler design choices, like xatu and its tie to totem poles. Gen III Pokemon tend to be very artistically designed, to the point of being flamboyant and loud (milotic, ludicolo, salamence). Not necessarily bad, just an observation. Gen IV are a bit harder to characterize, especially since a lot of them are evolutions of existing Pokemon, but their designs are more... Idk, thought out? They have more creativity like gen III, but are a bit simpler like gen II. Gen V has more familiar designs, like taking gen I designs and exaggerating features. (That generations names, however, are unforgivable, but that could be its own thread). Gen VI is... I'm not sure, but it too has its own defined characteristic. I've run out of time for now, but I think you get my point. They're all unique, and have good and bad Pokemon within each generation.

V > III > II > IV > VI > I

Gen V is my favorite generation, and the designs of the Pokemon had a lot to do with it. There are so many Pokemon from this region that I love. There are so many cool, unique, cute, and interesting designs. I like Gen III's Pokemon for similar reasons - they feel more varied and unique, and don't have too many stinkers among them.

I feel that Gen VI and I are the weakest in terms of Pokemon design. I can't fault Gen I since it was just starting out. For what it's worth, a lot of the designs (the Ghosts, the starters, the Dragons) are still fantastic, even compared to future designs. Gen VI had a lot of great designs and a lot of polarizing designs. (I'm looking at you, Doublade. I don't ever want to look at you, but I have to.) But it had more good than bad, and overall the good designs were enough to put it higher than Gen I.

I gotta say that it was hard ranking them. Each Gen has good and bad parts, but they all have so, so, so many parts that make me love them.

This to me is incredibly easy: V > VI > IV > III > II > I.

Generation 5 was the most unique out of all the generations and are easily the most memorable. Generation 6, for what little it had excelled in. Generation 4 was solid, I can't think of any really bad designs there. Generation 3 was alright, but a bit generic. Generation 2 had some alright concepts, but the Baby Pokemon brought the generation down on the whole. Generation 1, while good for the beginning, was easily the worst. It just felt bland. In general, I believe Pokemon is only getting better at designing and hopefully it will continue to do so in the future.

5 > 6 > 2 > 3 ≥ 1 > 4

IV was my favorite, VI was my least. IV was well thought out with their designs (a mob boss crow, a yeti tree, etc.) and had a lot of interesting ideas. Only ones I don't like are Lopunny, Pachirisu, and Happiny. Gen VI's designs felt more generic, they mostly were played straight and based on animals already used for Pokémon. After that it gets a little harder to define. Gens III and V had a lot of both really good and really bad designs, and Gen I and II were mostly solid and had few standouts either way. But that's just my opinion.

I think they've progressively more interesting. Especially counting Mega Evolutions in the current Generation. So, 6 > 5 > 4 > 3 > 2 > 1 for me.

Honestly the best design questions tend to favor the smaller generations for me. I'd say that Gen 4 has some of the better designs. Worst would have to be Gen 5 since a large majority of them are just carbon copies of Gen 1 Pokemon.

I guess my list would be Gen 4, Gen 6, Gen 2, Gen 3, Gen 1, and ending with Gen 5.

Gen V, with stuff like Serperior, Scolipede, Musharna, Archeops, Sawsbuck, Galvantula, Eelektross, Chandelure, Mienshao, Golurk, Haxorus, Hydreigon, Volcarona, the Therian formes of the Kami Trio and the Tao Dragons. The Tao Dragons in particular are among the most sophisticated designed of any Pokemon period imo.

5=4>3=6>2>1
Gens 4 and 5 easily have my favoritwa the DS introduced pokemon jave a cohesive art evolution that cannot and hasn't been feltin the series until now. Meanwhile, gens 3 and 6 have some of my favorites, but theogerall count is nothing compared to gena 4 and 5. I have emclumped together because honestly, I adore mostly everything, but the overal averageof best designs for those 4 gens are equalto the other in their ranking. Gen 2 is kust plain weird with a few standoutsand gen 1 is dill as hell for me, despite growing up with the series from the start.

For me (this is all my opinion I don't expect anyone to agree/disagree)
Best: VI I really liked the designs, they felt more organic, nothing too convoluted or strange. Even the legendaries didn't felt as overdesigned as in the past. I hated Megas in general but the new mons were great.

I have a similar opinion on Gen IV, it had some of the best designs where new pokemon were concerned, but some of the new evolutions and babies for old mons were terrible (I'm speaking of Magmortar, Electivire, Porygon-Z, Togekiss, Lickilicky, Happiny, Mime Jr. etc)

I'd rank Gen II next, maybe it's nostalgia but I liked them except for things like Unown, Wobboffet, Dunsparce etc.

Then we have Gen III which I'm pretty indifferent about, there's nothing I really like (other than Cacturne and Flygon) but there's also nothing I dislike too much.

Gen V and I are my least favorites. Gen V has some great ones but others are downright awful like the ice cream, Garbodor, Darmanitan, Audino, Klink and evos etc.. I especially dislike the legendaries for this gen, I hate almost all of them.
Gen I feels lazy and bizarre, I really dislike the repetitiveness of most of them (3 magnemites combine and poof! a magneton! same with Koffing, Muk is just a bigger Grimer, etc etc). Nostalgia doesn't blind me when it comes to admit that Gen I has one of the laziest and dumbest designed mons.

Generation IV for me.

After that the list goes: I > II > III > VI > V

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom