• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which genearation has the BEST POKEMON DESIGNS?

I think pretty much all of them had some of my favorite designs in one way. There really isn't a generation where I hated every single Pokemon's design. The closest example I can think of is Gen IV, but even then, it had some eye-pleasing Pokemon. =) The generation with the majority of nicely designed Pokemon? Hmmm... I'd say it's a tie between Gens I, III, and V. I love a ton of Pokemon from those gens based on design alone. Gen VI comes in second, Gen II comes third, and IV comes last. I noticed I have a thing for odd-numbered gens. Heh.

I guess if I had to choose...

2>1>4>3>6>5

However it doesn't really mean anything since I really Like all the generations so far though, none have disappointed me at all as far as the general creature designs are concerned.

i see where you went with this, but gen 1 was the first time pokemon was on the face of the earth. They were just starting out, I cant blame them for that

I think Gen II has some really tight designs. Scizor, Typhlosion, Feraligatr, Steelix, Skarmory, Blissey, Lugia and Ho-oh, Ampharos, you name it. Lots of really cool looking shit came from Gen II. Gen 4 also has a lot of really cool (yet overly complex) designs.

II, III > I > V > VI > > > > IV

Gen II got some pretty cool designs, specially the legendary pokémon. Even the most basic ones like Sentret and Hoothoot are interesting, unlike Rattata and Spearow.

Gen III had me with it's somewhat different design choices, specially the Regis, Solrock and Lunatone. While some the early game common pokémon ain't very inspired (seedot, lotad, wingull), there are a lot of gems (Seviper, Zangoose, Altaria, Milotic, Rayquaza).

Gen I and V are pretty similar in their concepts, but gotta go with the first one (only because you can only recycle an idea so many times before it gets stale).

Gen VI.. let's see.. I like Greninja, Vivillon, Pyroar and Yveltal.. but not much else. And I hate Binacle/Barbaracle so much it hurts.

Gen IV is horrible. Look at Giratina's altered forme, Grotle, Kricketot, Tangrowth, PorygonZ..

Last edited:
Gen V for me. It was the Gen that gave me Golurk, something I had been wanting since the start of the franchise so that Gen is hands down my favorite design wise. The others are a close second, really. I have a hard time choosing.

II>VI>III=IV>V>I

Gen II was glorious (aside from Unown).

Gen VI doesn't look too bad. I don't actually have a 3DS, let alone a 6th Gen Pokémon game, so I wouldn't know how to judge it. The legendaries, Mega Evolutions, and Fairy-types (namely Sylveon) appealed to me. I also enjoy the way Pokémon such as Talonflame and Pangoro look.

Gen III was decent; it contained a great deal of excellent Pokémon, such as the starter families, Linoone, the Mightyena, Manectric, Flygon, Salamence, and Metagross lines (in addition to other beautiful Pokémon so numerous that I don't want to bother listing them), but it also contained Silcoon, Cascoon, Taillow (although Swellow looked substantially better, and I did enjoy using it in battle), Surskit, Nosepass, the Swalot line, the Pelipper line, Luvdisc, and Plusle and Minun.

I feel similarly towards Generation IV's designs. Weavile hardly looked any different (in fact, it admittedly looked worse). We didn't need a creator for the world of Pokémon. On the other hand, most of the new Pokémon looked fantastic, like Lucario, Gallade, Rotom, Darkrai, Shaymin, Magnezone, Toxicroak, Staraptor, Luxray, Togekiss, Roserade, and Garchomp.

The 5th Gen's designs largely looked lazy. The elemental monkeys were awful. Evolutions like Musharna and Bisharp appeared to have minimal differences from their unevolved forms. Despite that, some of its designs did manage to impress me. On an unrelated note, it's a shame that most of the Pokémon from this Gen couldn't have more useful stats.

I like the 1st generation's designs, but they were too simple. I wouldn't consider their aesthetically appealing designs designed well. It's understandable, since, at the beginning of the franchise, there was only so much Game Freak could do given what resources and systems they had, but, for something to be designed well, it requires careful finesse, detail, and effort, which later generations (and Game Freak's staff during later generations) were capable of providing.

Last edited:
It's really hard to categorize and lump generations together like this, but i'll give it a go.

V is amazing, some concepts got repeated but not the designs themselves. Take for example how different Zubat looks to Woobat. I love that new things were introduced here - the fuzzy bats, the goths (obviously i like them), the Litwick line, Sigilyph, Cofagrigus, the cute elespiders, the automatons, the chess pieces, the jellyfish... I could go on. I even like the ice-creams. However gen V released some very bland legendaries (the genies and the My little ponies) as well as the ever-hated element monkeys.

III is probably my next favourite. The designs really started expanding into unexplored territories. Mawile, Baltoy, Glalie, Breloom and Cacturne emphasise what i mean here. There are 'generic' animals shapes too, like the Wailmer line, Corphish line & Taillow line, but all quite colourful and 'Pokemonized'. The flaws in this generation were again the bland boring ones, but thankfully, the likes of Plusle, Minun & Luvdisc don't need to show off because of their terrible stats.

I and II are solid. Really these were as good as each other for me. Looking back there are many 'generic' animal designs, such as Noctowl, Dewgong, Phanpy and Krabby, but they were never "bad" designs. Also alongside them were the strange (Jynx, Hitmontop, Starmie), the cool (Scizor, Haunter, Skarmory), the elegant (ninetales, eeveelutions, Horsea line). I see very few lazy designs here - The Voltorb line being the obvious one here. Don't even get me started on Unown - It's practically useless in battle and contests, but i just LOVE the concept.

Gen IV for me is not necessarily the worst, but definitely the most polarising. While i love many of the evolutions to previous pokemon that arose from this gen, such as Weavile, Gliscor, Togekiss & Roserade it doesn't excuse the bizarre Tangrowth or the worst of the worst - Lickylicky (which needs to die in a fire). Original designs here are equally polarising. Shinx line, Shieldon line, Skuntank, Lumineon... all good in their own way for being varied & diverse, but then there's the bland lake trio and Spiritomb which is very cool but fugly in the amount of scary.

Gen VI... i don't know where to put. There are some wonderful new designs here, taking further the themes from gen V of expanding the limits of what can be a pokemon. Possessed swords, upside-down squid and perfume fairies notwithstanding, it's still plain that there are some less... pleasing than others. I can't stand looking at Slurpuff. Nor the disturbing amount of ear-fur on Delphox. Quilladin is the most awkward middle-evolution ever. This is all without looking at megas, most of which are pretty radical improvements, but there remain a few that leave us asking, "Why?" WTF happened to Glalie's jaw? Or Mewtwo Y's head? Or Heracross's... everything?

Is it me, or does each generation of Pokemon fit perfectly (design-wise) in their respective region? Maybe it's due to them being introduced in said region, so I associate them with it more than the rest.

Anyway, I think the Gen 2 has the best designed Pokemon. There's really not one I dislike.

Um... Hm... I don't really like to think of the generations that way - plenty of strong designs and weak designs from each generation... Including Generation I. Definitely.

When I think of generations where I really don't dislike any of the designs, Generation II comes to mind. Generation III and IV would probably be the ones where I liked the least, although, as I said they had some very good ones, too. Generation V and VI had more great designs, and I really liked them.

I can't really rank them right now, but I will say Sixth generation has the best designs because I can't think of a single design that I truly hate or dislike. I love almost every one of them to the point where it's the first generation in which in every run of it I have used completely different teams using Pokemon from just that generation.

I think Gen II is the best, and I'm happy that other users agree with me. They have the simplicity of Gen I, but with amazing colors and lots of cuteness. Four of my eight favorite Pokemon come from here.

Gen III is solid, there are good designs with some radical changes between the evolutions. However the designs started to become more complex and some colors weren't the best.

Gen VI comes at third place. The concepts and the colors are great, and they have a nice mix between simplicity and complexity. Its biggest flaw is something trivial but that matters a lot, the direction it took with Fairy-types: A cake? A fat bird with arms? A keyring? A hamster Pikachu? That's not how you start a new type.

Gen I is overall nice. Most designs can show brilliant concepts with simplicity, however there are many lazy designs and many Pokemon whose only objetive is to look like big monsters.

Gen V. The designs are solid, but many Pokemon fail to make an impact. Some family members feel superflous, but there isn't actually an specific family that feels like a waste of space. The coloring of this particular Gen was awful in BW and B2W2.

Sadly Gen IV is last. I liked the creative direction they took with dual-typed Pokemon, but the colors feel bland, and the "Monster problem" I mentioned in Gen I is even bigger here, a few Pokemon feel overdesigned.

Megas are a mixed bag. Some of them feel like a natural transition (Audino, Mawile, Rayquaza...) but most of them feel like a Flanderized version of the Pokemon's concept (Steelix, Alakazam, Tyranitar, Loppuny...).

I can't really say which Generation has the best designs. Basically I've noticed a recurring trend in that as the core series progresses to another handheld with better graphical capabilities, the designs get more and more complex in nature regarding what a Pokemon can look like, and the overall design influences are being much more refined in nature as the series progresses as a whole. As a direct result, this would naturally mean that Gen VI has the best Pokemon designs, because Gen VI, due to being a Generation fully rendered in polygons and such, has the capability of having Pokemon with a huge amount of detail to their designs and overall aesthetics. Take Hoopa Unbound for instance; the sheer amount of detail in this thing would practically be impossible to create in a 2D Sprite game from older gens.

I'd say Generation II-III, but that's without taking off my nostalgia-glasses

better say what are your top 10 the best designs of each generation?

For me it's...

1. Gen III - I just really like the designs. They aren't too simple nor too "over the top". There are few Pokemon I don't like.
2. Gen IV/VI - Interesting designs, some are very creative, others are just pleasant to look at. Not much to say to be honest.
3. Gen V/II/I - I put them all together because it's hard to decide. Gen I and II had pretty simple designs and some Pokemon look quite dull. Gen V had a lot of creativity put into the designs, but unfortunately there are many, many Pokemon that don't appeal to me at all, so while I think it was an improvement compared to I/II, overall it doesn't appeal to me much.

Personally I think Gen III and V have the best designs. I grew up with Gen III so that is probably why I like it's Pokemon so much. The designs are fairly simple, but interesting at the same time. I know Gen V cops a lot of hate because of the designs, but I personally like them. Yeah some are a bit over-the-top, but then you have ones like Snivy that are perfect.

I like many designs of all generations but I have to go with generation 5. Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem (all forms) Hydreigon, Volcarona, Zoroark, Emboar, Haxorus, Druddigon and Bisharp are a few designs I quite like from gen 5.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom