• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which generation has the best music?

Which generation has the best music?

• Generation I

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Generation II

Votes: 21 14.7%
  • Generation III

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • Generation IV

Votes: 18 12.6%
  • Generation V

Votes: 57 39.9%

• Total voters
Back when BW was new I would've said that... but I've started crawling back to RSE music. :p Littleroot, Slateport, Petalburg, Route 104, Route 111, Route 113, Route 120, Elite Four... so much awesomeness. BW would probably be my second favorite with things like the surfing theme and Skyarrow Bridge. GSC and RBY are pretty close, too. GSC is what I believe got me interested in video game music in general. Azalea Town. <3 (Heck, its amazing music is the one reason why I can restrain for saying I hate Johto if I'm listening to it. xD) RBY for just being classic.

... So yeah, that pretty much leaves with DPP as my least favorite generation for music. :U I still like a lot of its tracks, but overall it just didn't do it for me compared to the others.

For spin-offs, PMD music BY FAR. (PMD2 a lot more so than PMD1) At the Beach At Dusk, Sea of Time, Dusk Forest, I Don't Want to Say Goodbye, Primal Dialga's Fight to the Finish, MEMORIES RETURN. <3 Aside from Colo/XD music here and there, I listen to about none of the other tracks the spin-offs had.

I can't decide between gen. I, gen. III, and gen. V. But if I had to choose the one that's in my head the most, it's gen. I. That music never gets old.

Elite 4 music of Hoenn stuck in my head!

Also, has anyone heard the Pokemon XD Mirror B Battle music? Awesome.
EDIT:
The quote thingy is not working so...

Lucario Girl said: Generation IV's music was the BEST!!!! I loved the wild Pokémon battle theme and the Dialga/Palkia battle theme (Especially on the SSBB remixes!!!!), and the Team Galactic battle theme is just plain EPIIICCCC!!!!

You changed my mind!

Gen III's themes were the best. Trumpets FTW!
I haven't played Gen V yet, but from the videos I watched, I can say that the two are tied.

I like generation IV because the team galactic music was pretty fun to listen to.

I'm hoping theres such a lack of votes for Gen I just because people haven't played it .... it's just better. So much better it's just beyond debate :|

I'm tied with GenI and GenV, but I think Generation I just edges ahead because it really captures the heat of the moment and makes things a bit more epic, despite being "only" 8-bit music!

I agree lol, a nice way of putting it, "EPIC 8-bit Music" :)

Personally, I think that the most recent generation has the best music. Sure, some of it sucks, but most of it is pretty impressive.

I'm hoping theres such a lack of votes for Gen I just because people haven't played it .... it's just better. So much better it's just beyond debate :|

I was wondering why there aren't many votes for Gen I. Then again, I'm curious as to why Gen III got so much votes.

...In your opinion, yes. The rest of us, however...

Even though I am slightly shocked, I have to agree. No one can take away the nostalgia I feel for Gen I, but it's music wasn't the best, at least in my opinion.

See what I did there?

It's pretty surprising to see so many votes for 3rd Gen. I got accustomed to people criticizing the "horrible" music, among everything else that was "godawful" about 3rd Gen... :p

Anyway, I vote Gen 5. I honestly like almost all the music in Pokémon, but while every single entry in the series can convey upbeat, cheerful and intense themes, only 5th Gen so far has been capable of providing deeply touching and emotional themes, while not letting down on the typical upbeat trend of the series. The calm and mysterious Celestial Tower song, alongside the touching Emotion and N's Farewell pieces, coming with the tense surrealism of Team Plasma's Castle, the upbeat City and Route songs, all the extra instruments added here and there, and the very cheery and awesome battle themes... it truly has everything you can imagine. It reminded me a lot of Chrono Trigger, which has one of the best music scores in videogame history. That Pokémon could manage such a resemblance is nothing short of astounding.

After Gen 5... the rest are kind of tied. Generation II edges out a bit, and then comes a tie between the rest.

Gen 3! Not just for the nostalgia (for those who grew up with RSE), but I also loved the instruments used. The thing that makes its music different from the rest was the trumpets and that constant beat that battle themes always had.

The Gen III remixes are far better.

Oh, no doubt. However, I assumed people would go into "nostalgia mode", and say Gen I's music was the best. I probably shouldn't assume, though.

It's pretty surprising to see so many votes for 3rd Gen. I got accustomed to people criticizing the "horrible" music, among everything else that was "godawful" about 3rd Gen... :p

I like Gen III's music. Actually, I never knew anyone to criticize it's music, to be honest.

Generation V. I love the wild Pokémon battle music, Team Plasma music and the rival music

I'm suprised that Gen III is topping the polls, as it's second to me to Gen IV as my least favourite soundtrack. Gen III's tunes just didn't really appeal to me, and Gen IV just sounded really.. flat, without anything really memorable to me.

Gen I has all the classic tunes that people remember, but my favourite is Gen II. It has a more refined sound and perfects Gen I's catchy and emphatic charm, with music that can really move you.

Gen V is very good too, with incredibly striking tunes. I love the low health music. Driftveil City is a great tune that reminds of my favourite band with its descending melody and punch.

Last edited:
Okay, this is difficult. Didn't especially like Gen III or IVs music. It was good, but it pales when compared to the others.
Gen I is just epic. All the iconic tunes, and that chiptune sound makes it awesome.
Gen II is much the same. I especially love the town themes, specifically Goldenrod, Blackthorn and Ecruteak.
Gen V. Is gorgeous. It deserves an honourable mention just for having that epic low health music.

Overall, I'd have to say Gen I.
Also Lavender Town Tone.

Generation V because of the great variety of music. All the battle themes get you excited for the fight & the route themes are fitting (Route 1 has cheerful music to start your journey while Route 10 reminds you of your journey so far and how it's time to take on Victory Road/Elite Four/Champion).

N's farewell and the music that plays when Bianca's dad turns up in Nimbasa City made me sad, something that a Pokemon game hasn't done to me before.

...Yeah, I'll stop now. This is all my opinion, of course.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom