• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Generation is The Best Generation

Best Generation of Pokemon

• Total voters
Re: Best Gen

Generation 4, although each generation has been very enjoyable.

Hoenn. Had some of the best pokemon of all time. awesome storyline, and it was just epic. and one more thing..... it has MUDKIPZ! I herd you liek them!

Generation II. It is perfection. Just the right amount of Pokemon, stunning locations, great music that sticks in your head all day, and awesome sprites. And Stadium 2 gave it the right amount of challenge. Nothing will be better than Gen II to me.

Generation V. I've only played it in Japanese, but the game is so fun! Well developed characters and plot, awesome region, creative Pokemon. It's just awesome all around.

Otherwise, Gen IV. I had a blast in that ganeration. Especially in Platinum, which I consider the best Pokemon game before B/W.

Really, I like all of them. Gen 4 was my first so I'm biased to that, but I wouldn't call any of them "bad."

Generation 2: Much like Generation 1, I liked the general plot and setting of the games, and the graphics had improved from Generation 1 to the point where I could thoroughly enjoy playing it (especially Crystal Version).

It is impossible to gauge one specific generation as being the "best" because they are all unique.

I can tell you, however, that out of all of the generation of games I have played, the one I liked the least was Gen III. I did not enjoy the plotline (it felt bland and short), I did not feel connected to the characters, battles were easy, etc.

That's not to say that Generation III isn't good; it has introduced a lot of awesome pokemon, new moves, unique characters, double battles, etc. However, I personally just didn't enjoy the way it was handled. There wasn't much that could have been done at the end of Ruby/Sapphire after catching all of the in-game legends, for example. The last thing I wanted to do for a Pokemon game is to toss it aside.

As for the other four generations, they each had their own unique quality that stands out to me.

Gens I/II had the nostalgia factor, the sense of familiarity especially when interacting with the characters. Gen II has added both a new region as well as kept the original region, both in terms of aesthetics and music. However, my only complaint with Gen II was it being too short and easy (even with the Kanto Gym Leaders it made no difference, I just breezed through them).

Gen IV was the best, imo, in competitive battling. It has introduced a lot of new, powerful techniques/TMS and improved a lot of older pokemon by giving them evolutions (i.e. Electivire and Gallade). The plotline was a hit and miss (it was remedied in Platinum). There is a lot of replayability after beating the Elite Four.

As for Gen V, well in terms of the plotline, I enjoyed the story very much. It brings a mature feeling into the games themselves while still making the player feel like a child inside. There is a lot of innovation in these games, especially reinventing the franchise as a whole through 156 new pokemon (not including formes). The music was also top notch; the Trainer Battle and wild pokemon music are addicting and will subside tediousness of fighting one trainer after another. I loved how there aren't any "old" pokemon available in the games until the National Dex. This game was the first (since the original gen) that I felt that it was different and new. All of the other gens since then had at least one pokemon from a previous gen available in the wild.

It is difficult to say which generation was my favorite, because (with the exception of Gen III [except Emerald]) I enjoyed playing through all of them very much.

This is my honest opinions of each generation, based on my individual experiences of playing through them.

Im glad that 1/3 of the voters realize that Generation 3 is by far the best generation.

Generation 1 only has 2 votes?......surprising.

I hate every gen.
Seriously, I voted for that. Kidding tho :bounce:

Anyway, I have got to go with Generation V. All these new Pokemon, the triple battle system, combonation moves, AND they got rid of the *bleep*ing Pokemon Contests! Truely a masterpiece.

Gen 5. Because it's new...

Oh, wait, sorry. Gen IV. Sinnoh was fun and HGSS was even more fun. The best of Gen II and Sinnoh rolled together.

This is how I feel. The second part at least, I haven't played through Isshu yet. I selected Gen IV. Johto is my favorite, but Heart Gold and Soul Silver just got everything right. They were a bit easy though.

I suppose I should also mention Emerald is my personal favorite game, while Platinum is technically the greatest Pokemon game in existence. The second generation deserves an honorable mention for being very innovative, although it suffered from a poor level curve, short campaign, and a lack of objectives in both regions. And of course, the first generation started it all, but to call those the games the best (not in terms of being your favorite, but actually being the "best") is really rather ignorant, considering just how limited they are.

So yes, the fourth generation is currently the best generation, not including Black and White, which obviously surpass it.

TO be the best seems to be Gen V though I haven't played it but I can't wait I love the pokemon. The plot seems epic The region looks bad-ass plus Warbiaru and Jaroda FTW and Mijimaru is adorable and Daikenki is PWNSume I'm dissapionted in Pokabu (another Fire/Fighting pokmon shit) but I like him way more then IO ever did Infernape

Gen III Has a spae in my heart I remeber I was 10/11 when it came out so I felt connected with it. IT added some awesome poke (And had the best Starter Trio)

Gen I being the orignal of course also has a space in my heart but I find most of the pokemon uncreative and boring and out of the Starters I really only like Charizard. And Arcanine is my fav pokemon

Gen II to me is the lowest it was fun when I was a kid. Hoiwever it has it's drawbacks it ws the least invocitive Gen while it added Genders and breeding they were unbalenced and screwed up. Gen III did it better. And While I liek the Johto Staers better I really don't like Chikorika. However it did introduce Houndoom Ampharos and some other good pokemon

Obviously I'm most nostalgic for Generation One, but I'm voting optimistically for Generation Five in the hopes that it truly is amazing.

I'll sound an awful lot like a nostalgiafag after saying this, but the third generation lacked in just about every way to the previous installments, what with the limited Pokemon range (seriously, who thought blockin' off almost 200 of the old Pokemon was a good idea? Without trades, no less >_>), lack of an additional region to the main, and no trainers outside of the Battle tower ever hitting so much as the 60's in level. Got old way too fast, and though I won't complain about the designs as much as a few I won't name, a lot of it seemed very rehashed, though I will admit that it had some decent ideas (sans requiring you to precisely surf the way into the Regi cave and it having braille instructions I didn't even know what to do with until I read it up on Gamespot).

FRLG fixed some of this for me, and added a slightly more absorbing quest, but it just didn't feel like the next Gold, Silver, and Crystal, let alone the first four that just drew you in as a child like never before the instant you touch up your first Gameboy and load those games.

Gen 4 is alright, I guess, but some of the execution lacked just as much as the horridly down-played E4 in the second generation, the players and a majority of the Pokemon looked just as goofy as Kris and the Gen 3 Pokemon, and HGSS was an excitement that just didn't last that long, really. Battle Frontier sucked in just about all the regions where it's appeared, and having certain items and techniques being exclusive to earnings of BP was frankly stupid and would only draw out the hackers, of which Platinum was no exception.

And with the 5th gen out and not only being on the same damn console as before with the 3DS's release in sight, but also blocking off hold item transfers...

Yeah, I'm not too hyped.

Gen III.

Best designs, best music, best region.

The Pokemon designs from Gen III are the ones I like the most. The music in particular, is superb. The Hoenn E4 were the first E4 to have their own theme unlike in Gen II were it was the gym theme and in Gen I, Lorelie, Bruno and Agatha had the TRAINER battle music while Lance had the Gym theme. The credits music was a slow theme which built up slowly unlike the previous ones were it Triumphant from the start.

It doesn't have the awful level curve of Johto where trainers are using Pokemon in their mid 20s and thats just before the 7th Gym.

Hoenn was the first time that there was anything resembling a plot in Pokemon. Said plot may not make a whole lot of sense but cults never make sense do they. And it was fixed in Emerald.

Emerald remains the greatest game in the series. The first instance of an actual cutscene occurs in Emerald that being Rayquaza's Descent.

The Hoenn Region was the region with the most variety. Before that, there was nothing to differentiate towns other than the music and some particular buildings. In Hoenn, there are tree top towns, towns in a dormant volcano, a deserts, a volcano, UNDERWATER TRENCHES, etc.

There were overworld weather effects such as the rain, sandstorm and sun.

There are two evil teams with different goals and something to differentiate the paired versions.

There is the Battle Frontier.

Then there are Game Cube games: Colosseum and XD. Nothing can be said about these two games except that they are filled to the brink with pure awesomenesss.

Lastly, without a doubt, the greatset addition to something not related to the actual battle system, are the RUNNING SHOES. These things do not get enough praise. The make the game so much easier to play. After having played RSEFRLG, its impossible for me to play the older games until I get the Running Shoes.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom