• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which generation looks the best?

Hey everybody. My name is Husam, and I'm a Pokeholic, lol
Anyways, I am an old Pokemon trainer, played most of the games ever since the very 1st generation's game release. And I could easily point out that the best generation based on graphic designs, is the 5th generation. But if we are talking about performance, the 5th and the 4th; with the 5th slightly tops the 4th.
Of course if we are talking about originality, the first is what we seek. The 2nd were the least, since they are nothing but a continuation to the 1st, IMO anyways. As for the uniqueness of Pokemon, the 5th is unique with its pool of strange and new type combinations and performances. The 2nd comes second, since it introduced the new 2 types and the idea of evolution using very unique and precise methods (such as happiness, trading WITH and item, etc).
So, according to the criteria that I set, this is what we get:

Graphical Design: V
Performance: V & IV
Originality: I
Uniqueness: V & II

So, I could easily say, that in my opinion, the 5th generation is the best.
If I had more time, I could've come up with a scoring system that would help us decide which generation is best (of course the system would depend on the opinion of the person doing the scoring, NOT the "facts").

I really love the designs for Gen I. I understand how for some they were 'boring', but I actually really like the fact that the majority of those pokemon were ~recognizable creatures from the natural world. They were natural enough to be relatable, yet had those few small details to add that element of fantasy to them. I mean, I'm sure I'm also a bit biased by the nostalgia, but I can honestly say that I really enjoy the gen I pokemon.

Second/equal to Gen I, I'd say V. As a few others have said, I think a lot of those designs were just really creative and memorable.

gen 3 is better but really there are very few if any pokemon that i dont like the design also the best region as in map gen v (sequel) and gen 2

My favorites are Gen I and Gen II. Gen III is the worst without a doubt.

Gen II, none of the designs were too complex, and had the cutest batch of pokemon imo.

Would it be fair for me to say Gen 3 Only because of Banette? Lol

Nah, in all seriousness, I think Gen 3. I loved the pokemon design. All of them were great, none of which were bad

really interesting to see all the love for Gen 3, a little while after it finished Gen 3 was hated, now it seems being on the boards today, that all the kids who's first games were in Gen 3 now love it, and most of the oldies who played 1 and 2 are dying out.

For me, it goes in almost of arrival.

4 > 5 > 2> 1 > 3

It's difficult to choose between Gen I and II but I'd say Gen I is slightly better. I love the simplistic, almost realistic designs of the 1st 2 gens. The worst Gen is definetely V. Yes, its got some good ones but most are just terrible. Honestly, I think they're just running out of ideas and who can blame them when they've done so many pokemon already. Gen V is just scraping the bottom of the barrel.

In terms of Pokémon design: V>II>I>IV>III

I'm sorry, but Gen III's Pokémon are forgetable. I keep on forgetting about some Pokémon.
Gen IV had some weird designs, like Heatran, Arceus, Dialga, and Bidoof.
Gen I was okay, but unoriginal, like Voltorb, Muk, and Koffing.
Gen II had some interesting Pokémon, like Hoothoot, Lugia, Ho-oh, and Typhlosion.
Gen V has some very interesting Pokémon, and they are all very memorable, like Excadrill and Zekrom.

To me: V = III > IV > II > I

Gens V and III are just awesome, and I didn't dislike any design from them, I think they're the most creative.
IV was also good, but some felt, I don't know, disjointed, to me, can't really express why...
II was slightly better than I IMO, but only because their color are prettier and they feel more alive.

Gen II, none of the designs were too complex, and had the cutest batch of pokemon imo.

Are you refering to Pichu, Magby, Smoochum, and the other 'baby' Pokémon introduced? I remember I had a separate box for them in Crystal, and had two Pichus just so the entire Big Town gang could be in my game!

It just really ticks me off that the baby Kangaskhan (the one you see in the pouch of the adult Kangaskhan) NEVER became an actual baby Pokémon you could hatch from an egg...

But yeah, Gen I and II are almost tied for me. Gen III was good, though not as great as the first two, Gen IV and V are easily the worst.

Last edited:
2 > 1 = 3 > 5 > 4

In my opinion, Generation II had the best batch of Pokemon (interestingly enough, also had the lowest amount of Pokemon introduced in a generation).

Maybe I'm blinded by nostalgia, but I don't think that's the case; Generation I's Pokemon weren't by any means all good, and some of the later generations (Generation V) had some really interesting designs. A few things are just silly, though.

Last edited:
I liked all the Generations, but all of them had flaws. So I'm gonna list some of them.

Gen I - It had a lot glitches, some of which were fun, other could completely corrupt your save, also, many of the Pokemon's sprites were shitty.

Gen II - It brought a whole new slew of Pokemon and it was in full color, but it lacked a lot of Legendaries, the Legendary Birds are all absent, and the only trace Mewtwo left was the Berserk Gene.

Gen III - This was a great Generation, super fast surfing, light speed biking, and new mechanics like Abilities, but it really lost points in being completely incompatible with Gens I and II.

Gen IV - I loved this Generation mainly because of Pal Park, but the plot is somewhat shrouded in D/P, I like how it was expanded in Pt. Also, HG/SS was awesome mainly cause it was a remake and because of Red's kickass team.

Gen V - This generation's graphics far surpasses any other generation, but I don't like the way they make the Overworld Sprites, the Pokemon introduced are all kickass. It was better than combining 3 Magnemite together to form an evolution.

Pokémon design wise, I genuinely adore Generation V. More Pokémon from Generation V have found their way into the lofty heights of my favourites than any or Pokémon before. I love them.

I think gen I is probably the best in pokemon design because they were my favorites but gen IV of gen V had some of the largest regions to roam with more potential to pack as many pokemon in there that they could.

Are you refering to Pichu, Magby, Smoochum, and the other 'baby' Pokémon introduced? I remember I had a separate box for them in Crystal, and had two Pichus just so the entire Big Town gang could be in my game!

It just really ticks me off that the baby Kangaskhan (the one you see in the pouch of the adult Kangaskhan) NEVER became an actual baby Pokémon you could hatch from an egg...

But yeah, Gen I and II are almost tied for me. Gen III was good, though not as great as the first two, Gen IV and V are easily the worst.

Yeah I'm pretty much talking about the baby pokemon, love them.

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom