• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Gym Leader Had The Best Portrayal In The Anime?

Original series: Blaine. I'd like to say Sabrina, but, I didn't like at all how she was portrayed.
Johto: Morty. He was portrayed faithfully. Falkner in second and Pryce in third.
Houenn: Flannery. Totally. But, Roxanne and Brawly were well shown too.
Sinnoh: Fantina. I just love how her personalty is so similar to the game. After her, are Byron, Volkner and Maylene.
Unova: Brycen. Well portrayed, next to Burgh.

Last edited:
Dent is definitely an interesting portrayal. In the games he's shy and often has trouble speaking, but in the anime he is open and easily excitable. Iris is definitely different as well. Her game counterpart seems much calmer, while her anime is wild. I love anime Arti, he's actually useful and didn't make Ash and them do all the work themselves like he does in the games.

In general the anime does a good job of making them different or unexepected, like Clair not being a baby, or Maylene's troubles being added.

Cilan was sooo shy in the games, but in the anime he is the exact opposite! Now that's what I call a change!

Skyla. with her attitude and her thoughts "always in the clouds". especially with her sky battles and her self centered attiude

Cilan. He actually has personally. I mean, Cress and Chili were very shallow compared to Cilan. But they've been in what, 3 episodes?

Elesa is alright. Time was obviously put in to develop her, but she just seems too stereotypical for my liking. A bit too "out there" if you will.

Skyla was cool, but again there wasn't much time spent on her. I do think Brycen was admirable though, being a gym leader, hunter lookout, and movie star and whatnot.

Hmm...My favorite? Honestly, I've always like Claire from Johto. Johto has always been my favorite Gen. :\

Please note: The thread is from 12 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom