• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which gym leader is the most forgettable?

Brycen. Gen V set a new standard for the Gym Leaders as characters, but Brycen just falls completely flat. So he's a former actor trying to find strength. That's a lot like Crasher Wake. And Brycen only appears outside of his gym once.

I guess the waiter trio....
I mean you only battle one of them and forget those two standing there watching your easy battle...

I think that Roxanne is the most forgettable, because I don't even remember the battle with her at all. And all the while she showed no discernible personality, and I probably would have forgotten her entirely if it weren't for me looking in my emerald booklet

I'd say Chuck, Roxanne, Brawly, Juan, Byron, and Brycen.

Chuck has few unique qualities compared to the other Johto leaders.
Roxanne is an extremely plain, run-of-the-mill, flat character with no personality.
Brawly is just pretty forgettable, and can be temporarily skipped over until you need to get the badge for Norman.
Juan was just added into Emerald. Nobody who played only RS will remember, because he wasn't there.
Byron was just a miner with a hard hat whom you had to go fetch from the mine and then battle.
Brycen doesn't compare to every other Gym Leader which was very active in the story.
I haven't really forgotten anyone, but those are the ones I believe I would forget before anyone else.

Pretty much any Hoenn leader. They're all dry to me, expect Wallace.

Figures. :sweatlol:

Let me see... Johto leaders are the most forgettable for me, and so are Sinnoh's. Hoenn are the ones I know better, because I replayed Ruby so many times as a kid, while SS and Pt I only played once each. However, I know all the gym leaders even if I can't recall them right in the moment. (not counting BW because the games are fairly new)

For me, it would have to be Winona. Why? Because every other Gym Leader has a definable personality trait. Memorable Gym Leaders are remembered because of interesting traits, like Sabrina and Clair, or memorable designs, like Flannery and Lt. Surge. Less memorable Gym Leaders typically at least have a personality trait associated with their elemental type or another profession, but not Winona. I can't find a single definable trait about her. In her battle quotes she just spouts out some pseudo-philosophical crap, but is never mentioned outside of her gym. Let's look at the other Gym Leaders shall we?

Kanto
-Brock: A fossil hunter in the games, a womanizer in the anime. Not bad.
-Misty: A typical teenaged girl in the anime and G/S, and a perky young woman in the original games. Also, professional swimmer.
-Lt. Surge: 100% American military man. It's even in his title!
-Erika: A somewhat ditzy girl, who may or may not be a closet lesbian. Makes perfume.
-Koga: Ninja. That is all.
-Sabrina: A serious and somewhat arrogant woman, and a CREEPY CREEPY woman in the Anime. Master psychic.
-Blaine: An insane old man with a knack for riddles who mellows out after his home is destroyed. Or goes more insane, depending on your point of view. A mad scientist.
-Giovanni: Criminal mastermind who is one of the few characters who gets development in the first Generation.

Johto
-Falkner: Aspires to prove himself to his father. A falconer, and yes I know that's his job as Gym Leader but it still kind of counts.
-Bugsy: Cute nerdy bug collector.
-Whitney: Crybaby farmgirl.
-Morty: Mysterious seer in G/S , aspiring chosen one in HG/SS.
-Chuck: RIDICULOUS ham and dedicated fighter.
-Jasmine: Cute, shy girl who hides great potential.
-Pryce: Awesome old man, kind of like Blaine but minus a lot of the insanity replaced with cool determination, with some interesting development in the anime and A LOT in the manga.
-Clair: Lance's jealous and bitchy cousin who is heir to a clan of dragon masters.

Hoenn
-Roxanne: Works at the trainer school. Well it's something.
-Brawler: Totally radical surfer dude. Kinda bland, but definable.
-Wattson: ANOTHER crazy old man who may or may not be mayor of Mauville.
-Flannery: Under confident heir to a gym who is over compensating. Also, very attractive.
-Norman: YOUR FREAKING DAD.
-Winona: Ummmm....birds?
-Tate&Liza: Identical twins who can read each other's minds. clichéd, but nevertheless a character trait.
-Wallace: Flamboyant artist.
-Juan: Flamboyant womanizer.

Sinnoh
-Roark: Miner type guy who wishes to please his father.
-Gardenia: Mostly just a friendly girl but shows signs of cowardice whenever the Old Chateau is involved.
-Maylene: Underestimated martial artist who is also a big eater and has a gambling addict for a father. Never mentioned after that, but an interesting trait nevertheless.
-CRASHER Wake: A hammy sumo wrestler.
-Fantina: Funny and friendly French foreigner. (Had to use the alliteration).
-Byron: DAN GREEN.
-Candice: Hot blooded (So much so she doesn't need proper clothes for her frozen hometown) possible closet lesbian.
-Volkner: Deadpan and bored but skilled trainer who also happens to have a great understanding of engineering, though this is only touched upon.

Unova
-The Waiter brothers: A bunch of triplets who have differing personalities depending on their type.
-Lenora: Tough as nails archaeologist (Who I still beat on the first try).
-Burgh: Punny artist who is completely flaming, regardless of his sexuality.
-Elesa: Emotionless girl hiding emotions.
-Clay: Japanese oil tycoon pretending to be a cowboy.
-Skyla: Excitable Genki Girl.
-Brycen: Stoic and mysterious hermit.
-Iris: Wild child girl raised apart from civilization who has a deep understanding of nature.
-Drayden: Scholarly mayor who leads his city into progress, at least if you're playing Black version.

When you look at it, every Gym Leader sans Winona has a noticeable trait. Thus, she is forgettable.

^ Man, you're so right. I cannot think of any defining traits for Winona at all. 8|

I kind of have to agree with that, even if Winona does have my favorite design of all of the gym leaders. xD At least she got stuff in Pokespe. (Being the leader of the gym leaders, being Sapphire's coach, having something with Wallace, etc.)

That Unova bug-type person... I just learned I have his badge. I don't even remember battling him!

Arti/Burgh? He definitely wasn't forgettable to me, but I do know some people who have intentionally used Brain Bleach to forget about him because they thought he was creepy.

Back to the main point of my second post in this thread...

I have come to the realization I find most of the Kanto and Johto Leaders forgettable, since I've never had too much of an attachment to Gens I and II in the first place, not even to their remakes. I can barely remember the battles with anyone of them but Tsukushi/Bugsy and Green/Blue.

Same to me happens with both of the Elite Four ensembles. The only ones I find memorable are Kikuko/Agatha, just because, and Kanna/Lorelei because she comes to aid you in the remakes and abandoned her Slowbro to glitch researchers which is the reason I hate her somewhat. Used to like Itsuki/Will but I "got over it" in the end seeing how he never appears outside of battle nor gets a solid personality.

On another point we have the whole Hoenn League which I do remember since I started out with Gen III, but I don't think they are going to reappear at any time because the game producers will opt for new figures instead. Kind of sad, but it's the truth, and they will someday be only shadows in the middle.

...Who's Winona?

Frankly, I don't remember any Hoenn Gym Leaders, mainly because my memory doesn't go any further back than two weeks ago. As for what memories I do have of them:

Roxanne: the only female first Gym Leader.
Next there are these Brawly (just really bad name), Wattson (impractical badge shape) and Flannery (is a girl!?) guys in whatever order.
Then comes the guy with the Slaking (Norman, I believe).
Winona: a lot of trees...
The twins from the art gallery.
Two egotistical 'guys'.

Well, I probably remember Brawly least of all, actually, but meh.

I forgot every single Hoenn leader expect Roxanna and Flannery.
I guess the girls are easier to remember.

That being said some of the Hoenn Gym leaders like Flannery, Wallace, Tate/Liza etc. are very memorable.

TITS!!! ....yeah, she's not easily forgotten. XD

I like how the TRULY most forgettable has not even been mentioned yet.

Justy of the Prestige Precept Center, aka the Pre Gym, in Phenac City, Orre.

you know, the whole time I was reading through this thread, I was wondering if anybody would mention him (or whether or not he'd even count). Props to you.

Please note: The thread is from 13 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom