• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

• Total voters
I'm a little bit torn over this decision, but I think I'll be picking Treecko for a few reasons. In my first few runs through Hoenn I used torchic just because of how OP it is and how it makes the game too easy. I mean, it gives you type advantage against 5 different E4/Leaders just on its own. Secondly, I want to avoid Mudkip because this is the starter I've started going to every time in my runs through Emerald. I find that it is quite strong and is the best of the three starters because not only does its typing give you advantage over 4 different Leader/E4s on its own, but it also provides a hybrid wall/heavy damage dealer as well as a hybrid HM slave/core team member. It's a little too OP for me to use in the remakes of my first pokemon game, Sapphire. Plus, the first starter I chose was Treecko. I ended up restarting pretty quickly and choosing Torchic just because of how TERRIBLE Treecko was in the originals, and to this day I have not completed a Hoenn run with Treecko as my starter. I really like the new Treecko, too. Not only has GameFreak made the physical-special split since the originals came out, allowing a Sceptile to use a few more moves, but they gave Sceptile a really cool looking mega. The mega makes him dragon type too, so I'd be happy to take the starter that becomes dragon type. I also like this mega because Sceptile will be the only grass/dragon type across all regions and games. He will be unique and fun. I also want to pick him because he will be a challenge. I've grown as a person and a trainer since I first selected the wood gecko pokemon and I'm eager to prove I can beat the game with him!

I dunno... my very first Pokemon ever was a Torchic called Sunshine, so I might grab a Torchic and call it Sunshine! On the other hand, however, I already had Mega Blaziken in XY...so I might choose Mudkip since water is my favorite type.

The Hoenn starters are my least favourite of all 18 starters (closely followed by the Unova three) so it's going to be a tough call for me... probably Mudkip.

Beyond excited for these games though :)

I did Ruby as May with Torchic. I did Emerald as May with Treecko. I'm doing Alpha Sapphire as Brendan with Mudkip.

Gen 3 had my least favorite starters. Treeko looks like he has an attitude problem, Torchic, while badass, doesn't do it for me (not huge on fire types) and Mudkip looks like the kid in the corner of the class that eats glue.

Nonetheless, I have to pick one. So I suppose I'll go with Treeko.

Gen 3 had my least favorite starters. Treeko looks like he has an attitude problem, Torchic, while badass, doesn't do it for me (not huge on fire types) and Mudkip looks like the kid in the corner of the class that eats glue.

What you just said is how i'd describe the unova starters ( still love oshawott regardless) For me it's the oppiste the hoenn starters have to be my favorite group of starters. Normally i only really like one or two but only hoenn has me absolutely loving all 3.

and treeko looks cool and calm snivy looks like he has an attitude problem ( wasn't his nick name like smug leaf?)

What you just said is how i'd describe the unova starters ( still love oshawott regardless) For me it's the oppiste the hoenn starters have to be my favorite group of starters. Normally i only really like one or two but only hoenn has me absolutely loving all 3.

and treeko looks cool and calm snivy looks like he has an attitude problem ( wasn't his nick name like smug leaf?)

yep. i happen to be a shiny smugleaf..... :p

I'm going Treecko solely because Torchic is really overrated these days, and Mudkip is just eh, especially with its 4x weakness to Grass. (Not that there's any Grass gyms in gen 3, but still.) A Grass/Dragon Mega Evolution for Sceptile also sounds pretty cool. c:

Definitely Treecko. Dragon/Grass is too good to pass up.

Not if you enjoy winning battles.

Glacia: Walrein, use Ice Beam!
*Sceptile fainted*

What's that? You wanted an ability?
Here's lightningrod so you have an immunity to something you already 4x resist
The dragon secondary typing opens up more weaknesses than advantages, especially with the advent of fairy type.
Sure, it looks cool as a typing, and I like that it's the only grass dragon to date, but I'd actually argue that it's a nerf to Sceptile to mega him. The mega does the following:
-creates more weaknesses
-doesn't increase ability to fully utilize move pool all that much
-replaces a bad ability with a nearly useless one
-expands special attack even though Sceptile has a more diverse physical move pool

I like Sceptile but this mega is a huge disappointment. I'm going for Mudkip based on the current information.

*Sceptile fainted*

The dragon secondary typing opens up more weaknesses than advantages, especially with the advent of fairy type.
Sure, it looks cool as a typing, and I like that it's the only grass dragon to date, but I'd actually argue that it's a nerf to Sceptile to mega him. The mega does the following:
-creates more weaknesses
-expands special attack even though Sceptile has a more diverse physical move pool

I like Sceptile but this mega is a huge disappointment. I'm going for Mudkip based on the current information.

But I wasn't keeping him in on an ice type either way. Obviously I won't use it there. There are plenty of pokemon to send out against ice and fairy types.
I didn't say I'd use him in competitive, In game. Who uses their starter in competitive?

*Sceptile fainted*

-creates more weaknesses

But I wasn't keeping him in on an ice type either way. Obviously I won't use it there. There are plenty of pokemon to send out against ice and fairy types.
I didn't say I'd use him in competitive, In game. Who uses their starter in competitive?

I didn't even bring up competitive, you did. The point is, there won't be much application for Sceptile as a mega past what already exists for him in his normal state, which isn't much anyway. The thing is, you have to consider what I already said about what the mega does to (not for) Sceptile. It opens him up to lots of weaknesses, replaces his normal ability with an ability that is terrible for him, and doesn't help his coverage or resistances all that much. I'm not even talking about competitive play, I'm still talking about the single player adventure. His mega is not a powerup excepting his stats, which, given the tradeoff, is not worth it.

*Sceptile fainted*

-creates more weaknesses

I didn't even bring up competitive, you did. The point is, there won't be much application for Sceptile as a mega past what already exists for him in his normal state, which isn't much anyway. The thing is, you have to consider what I already said about what the mega does to (not for) Sceptile. It opens him up to lots of weaknesses, replaces his normal ability with an ability that is terrible for him, and doesn't help his coverage or resistances all that much. I'm not even talking about competitive play, I'm still talking about the single player adventure. His mega is not a powerup excepting his stats, which, given the tradeoff, is not worth it.

Hey, come on now. You may not like Sceptile's mega evo, but it's unnecessary to try and get someone else to not like it as well.

Ever since these reboots have been coming out, I've enjoyed picking the starter that I did in the originals because of the nostalgia. I used to get all three games of each generation whenever they came out so for Gen. III I had Torchic in Ruby, Mudkip in Sapphire, and Treecko in Emerald. But I always found myself favoring one or two of the games and sort of abandoning the other one, so I made it the farthest in Ruby. Therefore I'm going with Torchic. And there have been rumors about a Gamma Emerald, no? (I haven't really been able to keep up with the news lately.) If so, that's when I'll have to decide if I'll get all three games again or at least one more, and then I'll decide what to do about Mudkip and Treecko.

Not that this is going to influence my decision though, but I do agree with what people have been saying about how Mega Sceptile being Grass/Dragon will probably be more of a liability than an asset. However, I would consider it the type of challenge that a true Trainer would be more than happy to deal with, so then it'll be even more impressive when he/she comes out on top despite such a handicap.

For OmegaRuby, I will be picking Mudkip. :) On my Emerald, I have a Swampert named Madeline, and so I am going to try and get a female one from Prof. Birch and then probably breed a Blaziken from X and Y. :) (Since my character for OR, Kaleb, has a Blaziken and Swampert in his team.)
For Alpha Sapphire, I'm SO picking Treecko. I have never raised a Treecko, and I'm so excited to try and raise one. :) But if Delta-Emerald happens, I'm abandoning the OR idea and putting it on Emerald. ;D
So, long story short...OR=Mudkip, AS=Treecko.
;D

*Sceptile fainted*

-creates more weaknesses

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."-Karen johto elite four member
Sceptile is awesome and I'll be using him in a competitive double battles team and it will give a little to his attack probably enough so you can run a mixed set.

And it will actually go quite up. First off rotom wash can say good bye to his comfortable spot as almost unbeatable not only is there a grass type that can outspeed him but also put an end to his little thunder wave and volt switch set. Since sceptile is 100% immune to thunder wave and volt switch he'll be theartend out easily allowing sceptile a turn to set up and sweep ( and my god if theres a dragon dance move tutor he'll be unstopable) Then the tricky and almost unbeatable greninja Sceptile with his speed not being that far off as it is from greninja will now outspeed him and be able to take out his type changing arse before he can even become an ice type. A focus sash will save greninja but sceptile will have done his job just finish greninja off with a priority move and you're good. This will be even more useful in double battles. even if they lead with an ice type Have a clafable come out with sceptile use follow me and have sceptile kill the ice beam spammer with a focus blast or brick break. ( sceptile might even outspeed that ice type on his own) and seeing as how he can outspeed most water types now even if its a normal water type that has ice beam sceptile can take it out with a nice powerful leaf storm. only water flying types will eat that **** up but i don't know why you'd keep sceptile out on something like that.

I mean hydragon has a X4 weakness to fairy people still run him and i wouldn't expect you to keep yours out on my slyveon clearly you'd switch out into your steel or poisen type or maybe something else that could take the hit. So tell if if i wasn't confident sceptile could outspeed and wreck an ice type why in the hell would i sent him out if theres the chance he'll get ice beamed. You wouldn't thats why you have 5 other pokemon to cover the weaknesses of your other party members.

also garchomp slamance and dragonite would like to have a word with you they're all x4 weak to ice and they are ubers. and they don't even have the speed to outspeed most ice beamers while sceptile will. Also he loses his fire type weakness while he gains new weaknesses he also loses some to.

... I've changed my mind. I think I'll either let my trainer card numbers or a coin flip decide between Mudkip or Treecko. I can't decide anymore!

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom