• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

• Total voters
Just posting to try and make this an active thread again.

Mudkip
I already used Torchic in my X, and I used Treecko in my recent Emerald Nuzlocke, (though it died early) but my first Emerald playthrough (which never got completed) I used Mudkip, and in my opinion, Hoenn has the best Pokemon to surround Swampert/M with, and, seeing as though I'll be Nuzlocking AS, OR has Shiftry, then I'll use Gardevoir/M, both of which I've never used, Golem, which was never on a team but I have had multiple of, Skarmory, which I would have used in X except that I didn't find out you got them until Victory Road, and I have used lotz. Platinum, HeartGold, White, all of which were traded in, and my original Emerald playthrough, actually caught. Finally, Ninetales because there must be flames.

Last edited:
The other week I voted Mudkip, since I love Swampert. Buuuuuut I really, really love Mega Sceptile and want to get its Mega Stone as soon as I can, so I've changed my mind and will be going with Treecko. (Sorry, Swampert. :c)

My most favourite starter ever: Torchic of course! I also love Treecko and its evolutions (including Mega Evo) but Blaziken is my most favourite Pokémon of all time so I just can't not pick Torchic. I've come to like Mudkip and its evolutions a lot more but not enough to pick it as a starter. I won't get both versions so Torchic will be my only pick.

Yeah, I really can't decide. I was going to choose Mudkip, but because I really hate repeating types, it eliminates any possibility of using Ludicolo and Camerupt, two of my favourties. Or if I chose Treecko, I couldn't use Ludicolo or Breloom. And I'm not about to pick Torchic...

That's why Hoenn is my favourite generation. There are so many quality options, unlike the 5th & 6th generations. And I'm sure, too, that there will be a significant addition to the Pokedex.

I'm going too take my Treecko to the adventure of course! I've always use it in every battle except facing the champion. Anyway I love when they announced that they mega evolved into a Grass/Dragon type so yay!

Still going with Mudkip for myself! Sort of. I'm gonna take my original Swampert (the Mudkip I chose in Sapphire, my first starter ever) and I'm going to breed a Mudkip from it. That way, I'll be using my original starter's son as my starter in the remake. I thought about, and I may still since its easier, just picking Mudkip and naming it after Muddy (My original), but it just doesn't hold as much meaning as offspring.

EDIT: And whenever I get around to playing OR, I'll be picking Treecko.

Last edited:
Omega Ruby: Torchic (gonna assemble my entire Ruby/Emerald party really) Alpha Sapphire: Treeko (with a new Party of Hoenn monsters I always wanted to use but never did)

I for a LONG time, I intended to hunt down Pokemon Emerald, and choose Treeko. I was like...............8 years old when I said that. I wanted Emerald, and I wanted to choose Treeko.

Now that Gen 3 remakes are CONFIRMED!!! (YAY!!!!!!!!)

I will finally get myself a Treeko.

Still choosing Mudkip in Omega Ruby since I chose Mudkip in Ruby (and it's also my favorite Gen III starter).

And I'm still going to choose Torchic in Alpha Sapphire since I chose Torchic in Sapphire. Mega Blaziken is amazing, but I unfortunately didn't use it during my main game in Pokémon X, so this will be my opportunity to do so.

Treecko all the way. Love that gecko.

...I'm getting Omega Ruby version, so I guess that makes Primal Groudon my rival?

I love Treecko, I love Grovyle, I love Mega-Sceptile. The only problem is I also really like Cacturne and I try to only have one Pokemon of each type. I'll probably still go with Treecko though.

I like to start with the starter that is weak to the first gym normally, but since Torchic was already in XY I decided to use Treecko for the first time ever (as my starter) in OR and Mudkip in AS. Also I am so used to Nuzlocking by now, I may do it in both versions.

The other week I voted Mudkip, since I love Swampert. Buuuuuut I really, really love Mega Sceptile and want to get its Mega Stone as soon as I can, so I've changed my mind and will be going with Treecko. (Sorry, Swampert. :c)

similar story but i'm trading over my shiny mud kip to go alongside my mega sceptile, hopefully the other mega stones are buyable in game like in x and y. Besides treeko holds the most nostalgia to me anyway

I love Torchic, and if which starter you choose determines what mega stone you get, then definitely Torchic!

However, Mudkip has always been a great choice for me on my original Sapphire (one of my first level 100s is my Swampert from my best play though of Sapphire), and his mega seems pretty cool, so I might pick him if I can get all the starter's mega stones in game.

Why are so many people picking Torchic? Don't you want the other Mega Stones? Most people have at least one Mega Blaziken already, just breed a Torchic and import it if you want one that badly.

I'm picking Mudkip in Sapphire and Treecko in Ruby.

Why are so many people picking Torchic? Don't you want the other Mega Stones? Most people have at least one Mega Blaziken already, just breed a Torchic and import it if you want one that badly.
Probably because people have good memories of picking it in RSE and (in my case) they just really like it and its evolutions. And it's very likely they'll implement a way to obtain the other two Mega Stones of the starters you didn't pick, as they did so with the Kanto starters Mega Stones in XY.

And it's very likely they'll implement a way to obtain the other two Mega Stones of the starters you didn't pick, as they did so with the Kanto starters Mega Stones in XY.

I completely forgot about this. Hmm. Now I'm not sure whether I need to choose Treecko for the stone (I was thinking I'd either need to replay or trade with someone if I didn't choose Treecko). I might just go with Mudkip like I originally wanted.

Well, at least one good thing about Europe getting it a week after everywhere else is that by the time I get the game everything will pretty much be known, so I'll know if it's possible to get the other stones before choosing my starter or if you can only get your starter's stone, so I can make the best choice at the time I start to play. Every cloud has a silver-lining and all that.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom