• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

Which Hoenn starter will you choose?

• Total voters
I'll start with Mudkip because its HA is horrid, I can breed the other starters with HAs, and I liek mudkipz.

Also Swampert looks epic enough to be used more.

I'm not a huge fan of any Hoenn starters, though Mudkip I guess since I've never used it. Blaziken would make things too easy, its Mega Evolution is so OP and XY had a huge habit of handing the player power-ups they would need to kill their opposition with ease. I'm betting Steven Stone will give the player their respective Mega Stone for their starter, Blaziken's Speed Boost and overwhelming power would skewer any competition. I like Sceptile but I've used it often, so Mudkip I guess.

I'm definitely picking Torchic as I want to stay true to the first time I played Sapphire!

Earlier I said Treeko, but I kinda changed my mind. Because I missed out on the Torchic event in X, I might choose Torchic instead if the mega evolution stones are available in-game. ~

Probably Treecko. I don't care for Mudkip and I already used Torchic in X. Besides, Treecko's a Grass Type. And I love Grass types. That said, I did just play my Gen III games (twice) recently, so I'm a bit tired of all the Hoenn Pokemon. This feeling will probably change by release time, but for now I feel like using my trusty party of Bulbasaur/Dragonite/Scizor/Houndoom/Manectric/Milotic to traverse Hoenn in this journey, so I might just end up boxing Treecko entirely.

It probably won't happen though.

swampert and blazken will finally be good starters now that there are physical water moves and fire moves but i have blazken from x/y event so i will go for mudkip.

this may change though i am assuming the other starters will get mega evo's and i cant see skeptile using unburden as a mega.

also i can use breloom as my grass and fighting. Normally i use tourchick because of the major lack of new fire types in emerald but i am hoping to be able to get me a houdour.

I never like single typing pokemon unless its exceptional.

Last edited:
Torchic, the go-to Hoenn starter. That is the starter that I adore, and it is also the coolest of the three.

Thanks for reading.

It's tough: the Hoenn starters are the best set of starters imo. I've always used mudkip and I'm pretty sure that I would've used torchic once before. But recently treecko's grown on me, to the point where sceptile is one of my favourite starter final evolution (Along with serperior and torterra. Which is odd since I usually don't like grass types.) I can't take a karate fire chicken seriously, not to mention I've never been partial to fighting types.

I've never gone treecko before and Sceptile is now one of my favourite pokemon, so definitely treecko. There's also serious potential for an awesome grass/dragon mega evolution.

I've grown to love Sceptile a lot in the latest years, but 10 years ago I just loved using Swampert in Ruby. I'm probably going with Treecko at first, unless the mega evolutions have an influence on my choosing.

Last edited:
Treecko. Sceptile is the only Hoenn starter I really like, but if Swampert ends up getting a cool mega then I might go for that.

Since I've never played R/S and have no past experience to go on, I'll just continue tradition and pick the Fire-type starter, Torchic.

Since I'm getting both games, I'll probably do Mudkip in AS and Torchic in OR. I plan on getting AS first though so my first first starter will be Mudkip.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom