• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which is your favourite Ash in terms of personality?

Your favourite Ash personality-wise?

• Total voters
If I had to choose, it would be either AG Ash or DP Ash for how they showcased his progression from that OS self. He may have been a mentor to someone in his travelling group, but the mere presence of Brock, former Gym Leader of the Pewter Gym, ensured that Ash could also continue to come across as a trainer who was still learning and growing. He went from being junior to both Brock and Misty, to being junior to Brock while also senior to May/Dawn. In those days, he taught and was taught.

XY Ash was a whole different beast. Clemont may have been smart, but he never really came across as the head of the group like Brock and Cilan before him. For the first time, Ash himself was the ace of the gang with the rest of them learning from him instead. That's why he eventually grew to disturb me as XY went on; he stopped seeming like an underdog. He had no superior presence among his Kalos companions to truly balance him out as a trainer this time.

If I had to choose, it would be either AG Ash or DP Ash for how they showcased his progression from that OS self. He may have been a mentor to someone in his travelling group, but the mere presence of Brock, former Gym Leader of the Pewter Gym, ensured that Ash could also continue to come across as a trainer who was still learning and growing. He went from being junior to both Brock and Misty, to being junior to Brock while also senior to May/Dawn. In those days, he taught and was taught.

XY Ash was a whole different beast. Clemont may have been smart, but he never really came across as the head of the group like Brock and Cilan before him. For the first time, Ash himself was the ace of the gang with the rest of them learning from him instead. That's why he eventually grew to disturb me as XY went on; he stopped seeming like an underdog. He had no superior presence among his Kalos companions to truly balance him out as a trainer this time.
Whats wrong with Ash being the leader?

Whats wrong with Ash being the leader?

One of Ash's charms was his being the underdog, since you know, children love underdogs win (when it’s the hero) and all that. When Ash's the 'leader' having any trainer defeat Ash becomes quite difficult without it appearing to be very planned and forced, the prime examples being Alain and Tobias.
The writers usually try to present Ash as the underdog in any battle so that the audience cheer for him, but this backfired in the XY series, where for the entire series Ash was presented as superior before Alain was brought into the picture.

One of Ash's charms was his being the underdog, since you know, children love underdogs win (when it’s the hero) and all that. When Ash's the 'leader' having any trainer defeat Ash becomes quite difficult without it appearing to be very planned and forced, the prime examples being Alain and Tobias.
The writers usually try to present Ash as the underdog in any battle so that the audience cheer for him, but this backfired in the XY series, where for the entire series Ash was presented as superior before Alain was brought into the picture.
Well I say that with everything he got in the past at some point was going to happen and in someways I think that this is the next step for him he learns to get better himself and help others get better as well.

When Ash's the 'leader' having any trainer defeat Ash becomes quite difficult without it appearing to be very planned and forced, the prime examples being Alain and Tobias.
Isn't making him underdog itself is forced considering his experience? That's one of the reasons why BW is disliked so much.

I feel like at some point he has to grow out of being the underdog and I think that XY is a good first step.

But then the 'new' 10 year olds will never be able to relate to Ash (and these 10 year olds are basically the anime's bread and butter)...
The amount of emotion Ash lost in XY was huge. I prefer Ash showing his emotions as well as being a decent (if not good) battler, and SuMo seems to be going in that direction.

But then the 'new' 10 year olds will never be able to relate to Ash (and these 10 year olds are basically the anime's bread and butter)...
The amount of emotion Ash lost in XY was huge. I prefer Ash showing his emotions as well as being a decent (if not good) battler, and SuMo seems to be going in that direction.
Ash can show emotion and still grow out of being the underdog. And how do you know that 10 year olds can't relate to Ash if he grow as a character. I don't know why Ash can't be both a great battler and show emotion.

I only feel like that's the case when he's in battle and outside of it he feels too much like a kid and while I get he's 10 I would like SM Ash more if he had all the growing he got from before.

He has his growing from before, but he's not oh-so-serious-to-the-point-of-emotionless like in XY- He's enjoying in Alola and that's a different side of Ash. There isn't (yet) a crisis looming in Alola which needs to get Ash to be serious. I'd really love to see how the writers will handle the tone in future one or two episodes, since they seem to focus on Aether and Nebby.

He has his growing from before, but he's not oh-so-serious-to-the-point-of-emotionless like in XY- He's enjoying in Alola and that's a different side of Ash. There isn't (yet) a crisis looming in Alola which needs to get Ash to be serious. I'd really love to see how the writers will handle the tone in future one or two episodes, since they seem to focus on Aether and Nebby.
All I hope is that they can keep the tone for the arc.

Absolutely OS and AG. Then he used to be a pretty good character, no kid (BW,SM), no bore (XY), but funny and sarcastic. And these series (and DP but more because of Dawn) was the best time of this show.

Last edited:
Please note: The thread is from 7 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom