• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which is your favourite Ash in terms of personality?

Your favourite Ash personality-wise?

• Total voters
How is XY Ash a bore?
That's just opinion. You can agree or not. But- I think he was too serious (like whole XY series). Where was his sarcasm? Where were comedy scenes he used to be involved in? Even his battles weren't as interesting as in DP series (opinion again)-why? Cause he was shown as too good, as ,,Master". Ok, only one funny thing about him was this ,,Master" losing Kalos league. I simply burst out laughing. And it doesn't mean I'm enemy of whole XY. On the other hand Serena's storyline was the best plot since Dawn and Brock were in main cast (how much I miss them...really).

That's just opinion. You can agree or not. But- I think he was too serious (like whole XY series). Where was his sarcasm? Where were comedy scenes he used to be involved in? Even his battles weren't as interesting as in DP series (opinion again)-why? Cause he was shown as too good, as ,,Master". Ok, only one funny thing about him was this ,,Master" losing Kalos league. I simply burst out laughing. And it doesn't mean I'm enemy of whole XY. On the other hand Serena's storyline was the best plot since Dawn and Brock were in main cast (how much I miss them...really).

Early XY had comedy scenes for Satoshi.

Early XY had comedy scenes for Satoshi.
Agree up to the point. Yes, in early XY there were some comedy scenes, but i don't feel it was the same type of humour as in OS, AG and DP (opinion, again). Only one XY episode I remember at the moment where I saw ,,old" Ash was ,,A Pokevision of things to come".

And whats so bad about Ash being a great battler? To me this shows he started to grow out of his weakness and started to become better overall. And is only started to get serious at XYZ, XY was fine

I've only watched XY, DP and SM and I think

XY > SM > DP

XY's ideal boyfriend concept was so cute. I really like how he was seen as the leader of the group and a mentor to some junior trainer. Then that arc where his confidence broke came in, it felt like really good development to me. SM was funny but it's abut too child like for my liking. DP Ash felt really flat to me. The narratives they tried to push on him like the whole creative battler thing and the hard worker thing just felt really contrived to me.

Last edited:
And whats so bad about Ash being a great battler? To me this shows he started to grow out of his weakness and started to become better overall. And is only started to get serious at XYZ, XY was fine
You need some form of conflict to build an interesting story, and to make a character interesting you need to make them struggle. If a character is just "too good" the challenges they have to come forth become absurd way too quickly just to justify a stupidly OP hero (I'd call this the post-Dragon Ball Z shonen syndrome). You can make your character grow but you have to keep them grounded, this is why they basically do (on different scales) a soft reset each series, because otherwise you'll end with a mess like the Kalos league every time.

You need some form of conflict to build an interesting story, and to make a character interesting you need to make them struggle. If a character is just "too good" the challenges they have to come forth become absurd way too quickly just to justify a stupidly OP hero (I'd call this the post-Dragon Ball Z shonen syndrome). You can make your character grow but you have to keep them grounded, this is why they basically do (on different scales) a soft reset each series, because otherwise you'll end with a mess like the Kalos league every time.

XY Ash did struggle at point but not as much as before.

You need some form of conflict to build an interesting story, and to make a character interesting you need to make them struggle. If a character is just "too good" the challenges they have to come forth become absurd way too quickly just to justify a stupidly OP hero
XY Ash was nothing like that.

Eh... I never had a particular preference for the "kind of Ash". Every series has portrayed Ash in a somewhat different fashion, and I have found all the different personalities of Ash to be enjoyable and quite interesting to watch. :)(y)

SM Ash. Because he comes across as MORE Competent, and He WAS NOT The Target of Physical Abuse by Pokemon.

I was going to be a total #genwunner and put OS Ash, but I ultimately put no preference because I tend to like Ash when he's not too serious nor too goofy. I was a fan of OS Ash because the length of it showed tremendous growth.

But I also like SM Ash too because it shows a "mature" (well mature for a 10 year old lol) side of him plus a level of freshness in his personality (a big part of what happened in XY/Z and before). His groups of friends this time around bring a good balance (not picture perfect, but not crazy fighting all the time).. it is reminiscent of the original series. When they were in Kanto, their dynamic wasn't awkward at all. Everyone got along and it was nice to see.

Last edited:
Original Series (OS) Ash for the immature, rash, hot-headed variant who matured over the course of the Series, from Kanto to Johto: had some of the most depth as a character, and was more complex than a lot of his later incarnations if you pay close attention.

For the more "mature" variant, Hoenn/Battle Frontier (AG) felt like the most natural progression of the OS character w/o sacrificing his OS personality, even if he's just a tad less memorable.

DP Ash is the best battler in the classic Era, but he's also saddled with the worst English dub portrayal of the three holistically, worse dialogue than before, and is stiffer: tolerable, but nothing distinctive or amazing like the prior two.

BW Ash is too immature and stupid, but shows more respect to OS Ash than DP did so there's that with the hat flip back for a lot of S14.

XY Ash is the most overrated, boring, dull, and generic shonen protagonist-y: I said it, come at me, this incarnation goes completely against who he was originally conceived to be & on top of that, lacks true personality outside of the Winding Woods episode. He's the best trainer overall of the entire set, but an unimpressive character.

SM Ash is BW Ash done right, but he still has the worst facial design/art style of all of the ones conceived and that is sadly a factor for me.

JN Ash is meh, his outfit is very unmemorable though his facial design is a step up from SM but worse than all of OS-XY to me, and lastly he's basically a continuation of SM Ash but made less goofy. He has moments of being a bigger idiot than in any of OS-DP, though, looking for data on the floor was an all time low.

Overall: OS Ash was the best character of them, AG Ash was the best mature variant, DP/XY Ash are the best trainers/battlers but not so great characters at all, BW Ash is too stupid for his own good, SM Ash is too goofy, and JN Ash is just bland/there IMO.

AG (Hoenn), this iteration of Ash showed glimpses of how he used to be from OS so it was a good blend of that and how he was portrayed as a trainer where he started taking his role more seriously. Going off purely personality OS/Kanto Ash is the best hands down but I watch the pokemon for the battles and OS Ash was still wet behind the ears.

Ash during DP and XY improved as a trainer but his personality became bland so I no longer cared for him as a character and still didn't even with the more recent iterations. So Ash's character peaked during early OS while as a trainer he peaked at either DP or XY,AG Hoenn Ash has the perfect blend of both imo.

Last edited:
I think XY Ash is still my favorite. He is the most logical successor to DP Ash. I love his little depression arc after the Wulfric battle and the cute romantic undertones with Serena. If only that would have been the final season for him. After that I kind of lost interest in him because they tried so hard to appeal to younger kids in Japan who liked Yokai Watch. I wasn't even that sad when he left, just bored since I didn't care about Journeys.

OS Ash can be fun and snarky but also irritating at times. His interactions with the companions and Gary were great. He is a little more flawed and I missed that sometimes in the later seasons. He has a lot of really emotional moments like the Butterfree episode. His emotions are always portrayed very well regardless if it's happiness, sadness or anger.

I think XY Ash is still my favorite. He is the most logical successor to DP Ash. I love his little depression arc after the Wulfric battle and the cute romantic undertones with Serena. If only that would have been the final season for him. After that I kind of lost interest in him because they tried so hard to appeal to younger kids in Japan who liked Yokai Watch. I wasn't even that sad when he left, just bored since I didn't care about Journeys.

OS Ash can be fun and snarky but also irritating at times. His interactions with the companions and Gary were great. He is a little more flawed and I missed that sometimes in the later seasons. He has a lot of really emotional moments like the Butterfree episode. His emotions are always portrayed very well regardless if it's happiness, sadness or anger.
I think what I preferred is him being more flawed as it made him much more human and relatable, earlier on (besides his old iconic English dub voice, then again I REALLY don’t like what they did to most everyone’s though from late Gen 3 on and Gen 6+ is unlistenable in English for me— I’m only checking out the last few eps to give the new James/Meowth VAs a fair shot as JCC is out ill, so far mixed thoughts).

DP and XY Ash just feel like good trainers but very dull and bland characters (especially the latter, DP Ash at least has moments of being comedic).

Last edited:
BW,SM and JN were better off keeping the personalities from the DP/XY series because the ones that were actually being presented did not fit at all. OS-DP had a natural progression with his character, he gradually became more mature and a better trainer but with the three series I mentioned earlier those iterations of Ash felt like ones from alternate universes. BW Ash getting nerfed as a trainer and SM/JN Ash going back to being goofy which felt forced.

Please note: The thread is from 8 months ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom