• To keep up with the hype driven by Sword and Shield's release, we are taking applications for new moderators in our Current Events: Sword and Shield as well as Anime and Manga sections.

For more information, see this thread.We hope you all consider joining our team!
  • We hope you're enjoying Sword and Shield so far! So that everyone can enjoy it and not be spoiled, please keep the all story spoilers and any images from the games in the appropriate sections or in spoiler tags until January 3rd.

Since spoiler tags are not allowed in signatures, please do not put images from the games in your signature either. You can list the names of new Pokémon if you want to list your team in your signature.
  • ME continues berating people in this next exciting episode of his Platinum Lets Play. Watch it here.

Which kind of Pokémon is no longer popular?

Reaction score
What's happening, guys? I'm just wanting to know what kind of Pokémon you think are no longer popular with fans, and why?

the bells of joy are ringing
Reaction score
I guess you're referring to Pokémon that fell from popularity? Hm, let's see.

I would definitely think Pachirisu fell from grace as the Gen 4 Pikaclone. I always felt it was overshadowed by Plusle and Minun's dynamic duo personalities. Altho, I think it made a resurgence when it was used in the 2014 winning team's World Championship Party.

I also thought Jessie's Ekans/Arbok was iconic before Seviper came along.

웃♥유
Reaction score
Zoroark and Zorua's decline seemed really noticeable. Like, I remember a lot of people being so hyped about them in early 2010 and thinking that they were Gen 5's counterparts to Lucario and Riolu, then once Black and White came out nobody cared about the foxes anymore...

Reaction score
Zoroark and Zorua's decline seemed really noticeable. Like, I remember a lot of people being so hyped about them in early 2010 and thinking that they were Gen 5's counterparts to Lucario and Riolu, then once Black and White came out nobody cared about the foxes anymore...
We thought the movie would hype them up. Guess it didn't do much, huh?

ᴡᴀɴᴅᴇʀᴇʀ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴍᴇ
Reaction score
I feel like Blaziken and Infernape will forever be jealous of the spotlight that Charizard gets seeing that as soon as their gens were over, they were more or less forgotten about.

I suppose in Blaziken's case people remembered it for its mega, but I don't think that lasted very long.

Reaction score
I feel like Blaziken and Infernape will forever be jealous of the spotlight that Charizard gets seeing that as soon as their gens were over, they were more or less forgotten about.
Just you wait for that Gen IV remake and my boi Infernape will take back his rightful position

Reaction score

I suppose in Blaziken's case people remembered it for its mega, but I don't think that lasted very long.
I guess it was also the backlash against Fire/Fighting starters.

thinking...
Reaction score
I think a big reason why Zorua/Zoroark fell out of favour was because it was impossible to get it in BW1 without an event... even though it's not even a legendary Pokemon or anything.

As for starters, not many people seem to care about Empoleon these days, although I remember it being fairly popular back in Gen 4.

Reaction score
Hmm.. I think Marill was pretty popular when it first came out (and people called it "Pukablue" or something like that). I don't hear about it a whole lot these days though.

Reaction score
Hmm.. I think Marill was pretty popular when it first came out (and people called it "Pukablue" or something like that). I don't hear about it a whole lot these days though.
I think that most of Marill popularity came from the GS pre-release period.

Reaction score
Didn't people think Marill (a.k.a. Pikablu) was a legendary Pokémon or something?

Reaction score
Didn't people think Marill (a.k.a. Pikablu) was a legendary Pokémon or something?
Yes, but I think that was due to lack of communication between the Western and Japanese fandoms. Not a lot of people here knew about GS, unlike the Japanese fans that knew that Gen II was coming since the month the anime started airing.

hee ho table flippers!
Reaction score
a Pokemon that I think fell out of popularity is Lucario.

In Gen 4 everyone loved Lucario, but when the hype of Gen 5 arrived, everybody stopped. When it got its Mega, everyone liked it, but then people stopped talking about it really fast.

Reaction score
a Pokemon that I think fell out of popularity is Lucario.

In Gen 4 everyone loved Lucario, but when the hype of Gen 5 arrived, everybody stopped. When it got its Mega, everyone liked it, but then people stopped talking about it really fast.
I guess if Lucario gets some love here in SwSh via getting a Dyna/Giga, the cycle would repeat itself, no? Although I would think it being part of the Super Smash Bros. series would help it continue to be relevant!

Killer Queen has already touched the Piano.
Reaction score
How about Slowpoke?

Slowpoke used to be very popular because of the meme. And since the Meme is now dead, no-one really remembers Slowpoke.