• Hello all! The forum staff have introduced a new rule set. We've reduced the number of rules, made trick language easier to understand, and have hopefully simplified the rules to make understanding them easier. Please have a read over the new forum rules here.
  • Hey guys! Have you heard? We now have popup
    Yes, Popups!
    messages for your forum posts. Learn more about it here!
  • Hey everyone, if you hadn't heard, information about Sword and Shield has been leaking. Outside of the designated threads in our Current Events section, please keep all unrevealed Pokemon, names, or any other information in spoiler tags. This policy will be in effect until January 3rd. This is an exciting time for Pokémon fans, enjoy yourselves!
  • Recently, some of our fellow Pokémon fan sites have received legal requests to take down leaked Sword and Shield images. We have not received one of these requests yet, but we are taking some preemptive measures to stay on the safe side. We ask that from now until the games release (November 15th) that you do not post any new leaked images anywhere on the forums.

For more information, see this thread

Which kind of Pokémon is no longer popular?

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
I feel Greninja has lost some of its popularity from the X and Y days, even with its special form and role in the Detective Pikachu movie.

Reaction score
I feel Greninja has lost some of its popularity from the X and Y days, even with its special form and role in the Detective Pikachu movie.
At least in my case, it was due to that special forme. I have always felt that for all the complains about Charizard shilling, this was one of the times where it could have been appropriate. Sadly, they had to create a then-anime-exclusive forme just so that he could compete with Megas.

Bookworm
Reaction score
I think it's interesting how the gen 5 Pokémon aren't that popular nowadays. Mabye it's because they didn't market them in the right way. Satoshi didn't have an ace in the BW anime if you compare with Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape and Greninja. The legendary dragons also played a smaller role in the anime.

In the games Zoroark and Reshiram/Zekrom are associated with N but he is more interesting than them so mabye he overshadowed them?

Blast Turtle
Reaction score
I think it's interesting how the gen 5 Pokémon aren't that popular nowadays.
What? They seem quite popular to me. Maybe not Zoroa and Zoroark, but many gen 5 Pokémon such as the Trubbish line seem to be decently popular as a result of the gen 5 games becoming popular again.

Small ripples lead to big waves.
Reaction score
TV Tropes claims that Zekrom was the most popular Gen 5 Pokémon, but it seemed like everyone preferred Reshiram as a kid. I was the only person at my school who had White, and that was only because of Solosis.

Bookworm
Reaction score
What? They seem quite popular to me. Maybe not Zoroa and Zoroark, but many gen 5 Pokémon such as the Trubbish line seem to be decently popular as a result of the gen 5 games becoming popular again.
Wow, I didn't know that the Trubbish line was popular! I thought everybody hated both the trash and ice cream Pokémon. When people complain about gen 5 designs they always bring these two up. The human characters seem more popular than the Pokémon since people almost always bring up how much they loved the storyline of BW1.

Reaction score
I believe Gen. II is not getting much love, both from fans and namely GF...the starters had not been given Megas, Alolan or Galarian forms.
Such a wasted opportunity to have an Alolan Meganium, Feraligatr, Typhlosion, Mantine and Bellossom.

Reaction score
As far as we're concerned, we don't speak of it here. Let's all just assume Piplup evolves into Empoleon immediately.
I had no idea Prinplup was so disiked.....why is that?? I really like it...it's one of my top favorite Pokemon actually.

The onset of sleep
Reaction score
With the Armored Mewtwo in PoGo, I think Mewtwo might follow suit, lol.
Well, Mewtwo is losing popularity due to over-exposure, too.
People in my PoGo group still got hyped and showed up in droves for Mewtwo every time it was in raids recently. I'm sure it's just as popular with the average/casual fan as it always was.