• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which kind of Pokémon is no longer popular?

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
What's happening, guys? I'm just wanting to know what kind of Pokémon you think are no longer popular with fans, and why?

I guess you're referring to Pokémon that fell from popularity? Hm, let's see.

I would definitely think Pachirisu fell from grace as the Gen 4 Pikaclone. I always felt it was overshadowed by Plusle and Minun's dynamic duo personalities. Altho, I think it made a resurgence when it was used in the 2014 winning team's World Championship Party.

I also thought Jessie's Ekans/Arbok was iconic before Seviper came along.

Zoroark and Zorua's decline seemed really noticeable. Like, I remember a lot of people being so hyped about them in early 2010 and thinking that they were Gen 5's counterparts to Lucario and Riolu, then once Black and White came out nobody cared about the foxes anymore...

We thought the movie would hype them up. Guess it didn't do much, huh?

I feel like Blaziken and Infernape will forever be jealous of the spotlight that Charizard gets seeing that as soon as their gens were over, they were more or less forgotten about.

I suppose in Blaziken's case people remembered it for its mega, but I don't think that lasted very long.

I feel like Blaziken and Infernape will forever be jealous of the spotlight that Charizard gets seeing that as soon as their gens were over, they were more or less forgotten about.

I suppose in Blaziken's case people remembered it for its mega, but I don't think that lasted very long.
I guess it was also the backlash against Fire/Fighting starters.

I think a big reason why Zorua/Zoroark fell out of favour was because it was impossible to get it in BW1 without an event... even though it's not even a legendary Pokemon or anything.

As for starters, not many people seem to care about Empoleon these days, although I remember it being fairly popular back in Gen 4.

Hmm.. I think Marill was pretty popular when it first came out (and people called it "Pukablue" or something like that). I don't hear about it a whole lot these days though.

Didn't people think Marill (a.k.a. Pikablu) was a legendary Pokémon or something?
Yes, but I think that was due to lack of communication between the Western and Japanese fandoms. Not a lot of people here knew about GS, unlike the Japanese fans that knew that Gen II was coming since the month the anime started airing.

a Pokemon that I think fell out of popularity is Lucario.

In Gen 4 everyone loved Lucario, but when the hype of Gen 5 arrived, everybody stopped. When it got its Mega, everyone liked it, but then people stopped talking about it really fast.

a Pokemon that I think fell out of popularity is Lucario.

In Gen 4 everyone loved Lucario, but when the hype of Gen 5 arrived, everybody stopped. When it got its Mega, everyone liked it, but then people stopped talking about it really fast.

I guess if Lucario gets some love here in SwSh via getting a Dyna/Giga, the cycle would repeat itself, no? Although I would think it being part of the Super Smash Bros. series would help it continue to be relevant!

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom