• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which kind of Pokémon is no longer popular?

I feel Greninja has lost some of its popularity from the X and Y days, even with its special form and role in the Detective Pikachu movie.

I feel Greninja has lost some of its popularity from the X and Y days, even with its special form and role in the Detective Pikachu movie.
At least in my case, it was due to that special forme. I have always felt that for all the complains about Charizard shilling, this was one of the times where it could have been appropriate. Sadly, they had to create a then-anime-exclusive forme just so that he could compete with Megas.

I think it's interesting how the gen 5 Pokémon aren't that popular nowadays. Mabye it's because they didn't market them in the right way. Satoshi didn't have an ace in the BW anime if you compare with Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape and Greninja. The legendary dragons also played a smaller role in the anime.

In the games Zoroark and Reshiram/Zekrom are associated with N but he is more interesting than them so mabye he overshadowed them?

I think it's interesting how the gen 5 Pokémon aren't that popular nowadays.

What? They seem quite popular to me. Maybe not Zoroa and Zoroark, but many gen 5 Pokémon such as the Trubbish line seem to be decently popular as a result of the gen 5 games becoming popular again.

TV Tropes claims that Zekrom was the most popular Gen 5 Pokémon, but it seemed like everyone preferred Reshiram as a kid. I was the only person at my school who had White, and that was only because of Solosis.

What? They seem quite popular to me. Maybe not Zoroa and Zoroark, but many gen 5 Pokémon such as the Trubbish line seem to be decently popular as a result of the gen 5 games becoming popular again.

Wow, I didn't know that the Trubbish line was popular! I thought everybody hated both the trash and ice cream Pokémon. When people complain about gen 5 designs they always bring these two up. The human characters seem more popular than the Pokémon since people almost always bring up how much they loved the storyline of BW1.

I believe Gen. II is not getting much love, both from fans and namely GF...the starters had not been given Megas, Alolan or Galarian forms.
Such a wasted opportunity to have an Alolan Meganium, Feraligatr, Typhlosion, Mantine and Bellossom.

As far as we're concerned, we don't speak of it here. Let's all just assume Piplup evolves into Empoleon immediately.

I had no idea Prinplup was so disiked.....why is that?? I really like it...it's one of my top favorite Pokemon actually.

With the Armored Mewtwo in PoGo, I think Mewtwo might follow suit, lol.
Well, Mewtwo is losing popularity due to over-exposure, too.

People in my PoGo group still got hyped and showed up in droves for Mewtwo every time it was in raids recently. I'm sure it's just as popular with the average/casual fan as it always was.

People in my PoGo group still got hyped and showed up in droves for Mewtwo every time it was in raids recently. I'm sure it's just as popular with the average/casual fan as it always was.
Well, Mewtwo IS strong af.

I'd say the Dragonite family, which I blame GF for.

I'm surprised that the "cool" Grass starters like Sceptile and Decidueye lost popularity while something like Incineroar had enough popularity to make it into Smash. I was especially surprised that Sceptile didn't make it into Smash considering it's easy to translate its move pool to Smash moves. In fact, the only playable Grass-type Pokemon that ever made it to Smash was Ivysaur, which is even weirder since it's a middle stage of a starter Pokemon no less.

I'm surprised that the "cool" Grass starters like Sceptile and Decidueye lost popularity while something like Incineroar had enough popularity to make it into Smash. I was especially surprised that Sceptile didn't make it into Smash considering it's easy to translate its move pool to Smash moves. In fact, the only playable Grass-type Pokemon that ever made it to Smash was Ivysaur, which is even weirder since it's a middle stage of a starter Pokemon no less.
I think Sceptile didn't make it because they wanted to add someone that represented the then-new FireRed and LeafGreen instead of RSE (in fact, I don't even think they even considered it), while Ivysaur made it so that Pokémon Trainer could have a medium character, a big character and a small character, all based on each of the three starters.

EDIT: Just checked in case I got something wrong, but Smashwiki only lists Mewtwo and Blastoise as cut Pokémon from Brawl.

Last edited:
I remember when everyone complained about Lucario being everywhere in Gen 6, but nowadays it's Charizard that's being pushed.
Can't blame them, considering there were nods and appearances of Charizard in the last four gens without the other two, with Gen VI and Gen VIII rubbing more salt in the wound, first by giving Charizard two forms, and then by demoting Squirtle and Bulbasaur as event Pokémon, without even giving them G-Max forms.

I remember when everyone complained about Lucario being everywhere in Gen 6, but nowadays it's Charizard that's being pushed.
There is a good reason for complaining about Charizard though, it received two Mega forms back in X and Y while Venusaur and Blastoise only received one, it's the only returning Kanto starter who made it into Smash 4 and it got a Gigantamax form while Venusaur and Blastoise didn't get any. Basically, it's the favoritism that Game Freak has for the Pokemon that's the problem.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom