• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which kinds of official video game artwork designs of Pokémon do you think you would prefer for the Pokémon reboot video games?

Which kind of Pokémon artwork designs do you think you'd prefer for the Pokémon reboot video games?

• The same as the original.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Much different from the original.

• I dunno.

• Total voters

thomaswiencek

追放されたバカ
Reaction score
What's up everybody? I've have found these following links you'll might find out by selecting them below, just to see the example fake video game artwork designs of Generation I Pokémon, excluding all cross-generational pre-evolutions and evolutions, regional variants and evolutions, Mega Evolutions, Gigantamaxes and special alternate forms as follows.
So, I'm just wanting to know which kinds of official video game artwork designs of Pokémon you'd like the best: The same as, or much different from the original, or kinda in the middle, what do you think? Please let me know, thanks.;)

I like: Cyndaquil, Dragonair, Vaporeon, Ditto, Jynx, Scyther, Horsea, Koffing, Exeguttor, Kingler, Gengar, Magneton, Magnemite, Rapidash, Abra, Poliwrath, Poliwhirl, Psyduck, Venomoth, Parasect, Nidorina, Pidgeot, Beedrill, Metapod, Squirtle.
I like more than the original: Dragonite, Magikarp, Pinsir, Magmar, Mr. Mime, Lickitung, Muk, Seel, Machamp, Dugtrio, Gloom, Clefable.

Thanks for sharing! The fandom would go nuts if something like this would happen, but I wouldn't be that opposed to the idea as in Gen I there are lots of ways of design improvement.

I am not in favor of a reboot, and I've never pictured it this way. Forms already exist for people who are bored with the originals.

Well, first of all keep Turner far from the design team! No ideas and designs from that guy.
As for the art style, I prefer the simplistic models that were used in Gen. I and II that were not fully colored.

I strongly dislike much of the "rebooted" Pokemon shown. I'll put my reasoning why in the spoiler tag below because I don't want to bog down this post with tangential comments.
There's a couple designs that I like, such as Fearow, Magnemite, Dragonite, Kabuto, Onix, and Raticate, or designs that I think have a good idea behind them like Golbat and Clefable, but in my opinion most look pretty terrible. They all look rather cartoon-y to me overall, which I am really not a fan of. Several designs are more cutesy and/or less monstrous than their original versions. See the comparison below between Nidorina and reboot Nidorina.
030Nidorina.png
e99264f2970dc921737f8b30049e0f17-removebg-preview.png
There's a post on reddit that makes the argument (well, it's more like the OP presents their opinion as fact) that modern Pokemon designs are much more cutesy and cartoony than the original gen 1 and 2 designs, with images of what certain Kanto Pokemon would look "modernized." I feel like the reboot creator saw that post and based their reboot design philosophy on that idea.

As for Pokemon redesigns that I actually like, I think Cosmopoliturtle has some fantastic Pokemon redesigns in a rather interesting art-style, most of which are just as good or better than the original designs in my opinion. See below:
iu
iu
iu
iu
However, I don't think I'd like it if TPCi completely changed every single Pokemon's design in a reboot, even if it were in, say, Cosmopoliturtle's style. I'd rather see different art-styles explored in spin-offs rather than the main series. Perhaps I'm just too much of an old, stuffy fan to accept a radical shift in art design, but I feel too connected to the current designs that I'd feel upset if said designs were abandoned for the rest of the franchise's lifespan for rebooted versions. I mean, there's no guarantee that Turtonator would look good in whatever updated design they gave it, for example.

Last edited:
Well, first of all keep Turner far from the design team! No ideas and designs from that guy.
As for the art style, I prefer the simplistic models that were used in Gen. I and II that were not fully colored.
No. The opposite! Sword and Shield are the first generation in a while that I can say I didn't hate a single design for the pokemon. He doesn't have to design em himself just leave him in charge!

(Bonus: We get better regions that don't feel like '[REGION] BUT IN A TOURIST'S EYES'.)

Eh, Turner has made some good designs on his own. Vanilluxe, Golurk, and Trevenant are pretty good in my opinion, for example. And Galar, from an artistic standpoint, is pretty good too.

The only issue I really have is that most gen 8 Pokemon I'm neutral on. However, that's only a sample size of one and I have no idea how involved he was with the designing nor what he designed.

Last edited:
No. The opposite! Sword and Shield are the first generation in a while that I can say I didn't hate a single design for the pokemon. He doesn't have to design em himself just leave him in charge!

(Bonus: We get better regions that don't feel like '[REGION] BUT IN A TOURIST'S EYES'.)

I had the opposite experience: Gen. VIII has me not only liking just three Pkmn as well as disliking all the others, be it in concept as well as actual design.
As for the region, the only one that I felt as such was Alola. All the others have problems but their positives aspects outnumber by far the negatives (except for Galar, which is a joke almost literally on a straight monorail).

As for the region, the only one that I felt as such was Alola.
I can see how the first four regions don't feel like "'[REGION] BUT IN A TOURIST'S EYES'" as PinkIceFox said considering that they're Japan-inspired regions created by a primarily Japanese developer. However, while I don't know if I'd say Unova is basically "the US but in a tourist's eyes," it didn't feel as markedly American/New Yorkian(?) as Galar feels markedly British. I've seen a few Brits on here praise the region design for how similar it is to the real thing. I don't think I've ever seen anyone praise Unova for how faithful it is to the US/NYC/New York. It just... didn't really feel like the US/NYC/New York in my opinion. It's hard to explain. However, I don't know if Turner would make a non-UK region avoid that feeling unless he spent an extensive amount of time in that area.

Please note: The thread is from 4 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom