• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Legendaries are One of it's Kind?

This is a matter made rather confusing by a few things:

-The game's, well, a game.
-The Pokedex is generally pretty fantastic as a source.
-The Pokemon world as a whole is astoundingly vague in the first place.

For the first one, you can theoretically get some hundred copies of the same legend through the wonders of trading. Which isn't to say that, as far as the game's concerned, 100 Arceus actually exist. It's just that, because of the way the system is set up (which'd be perfectly willing to allow things like that for gameplay reasons), it's possible to get that.

While it's not about to allow you to catch five Azelf in a sitting, the game is ultimately more beholden to... well, being a game than ensuring that you'll never be able to have a squad of six Mewtwo (though it's generally accepted that there's only one out there).

On the subject of the Pokedex, it says things like there being an Entei born every time a volcano erupts, but then, you have to remember that the Pokedex often has pretty incredible information (I present to you the mountain-jumping Magikarp), not to mention it's even contradictory sometimes (but, of course, Magikarp never jumps higher than seven feet), so I'd take anything that it says with a grain of salt.

And, finally, with the ever-hazy world that is Pokemon's, it's really just plain difficult to tell. Lugia would have been thought one-of-a-kind, but then we run into one with a baby. Darkrai? Sure, one of a kind. No, wait, it turns out that there are several of them. It appears catastrophe-level Pokemon like Kyogre are still one-of-a-kind, but for most everything else, who knows? It's fully possible that they'll decide to handwave in a multiple of practically any legendary. They're willing to introduce something that could've, maybe should've, been one-of-a-kind and carefully avoid accounting for it.

So, really, who knows?

You need two Arceus' to go to the Sinjoh Ruins twice tho. That could just be a game thing.

Why didn't I ever though about that? That just gives me more reason to believe in my own theory. "Just a game thing" means that it is the the canon, but it might of course just be game and story segregation. Although I don't really think so, because I believe that there are more than one Arceus, however there are only one in Shionh.

Most legendaries are based on myths limited only to a region. So does that mean there could be another kind of that legendary in another far away region or country?

In a game sort of sense, any Legendary that you can enter in battle frontier events there are more than one of, and any that are banned are one of a kind.

The Kanto birds can be caught in at least two different places each. They're all roaming Sinnoh, Articuno is in the Seafoam islands, Zapdos is both in and outside the power plant (it only took him three years to move that far :p), Moltres is in Victory Road, in Mt Ember (I think that was what it was called, now I forget ^^;), and in Mt Silver.

The gerbils are roaming Johto, roaming Kanto, and the ones in whichever Gamecube game they are in are probably different as well.

Lugia and Ho-oh are in both Johto and the Sevii islands as well as the Gamecube games, at least two sets of those are probably not the same pokemon.

Since Manaphy only breed into Phione, maybe there is only one of them and maybe when it dies one of the Phione evolves and takes its place. I dunno, just a theory.

There are seemingly more of each of the legendary golems since they're locked away in both Hoenn and Sinnoh.

I get tired of people who say that Arceus is god as if he is supposed to be a replica of the one from Christianity. There can be more than one Arceus. Just because an Arceus may or may not have formed the universe doesn't mean that he never died or had babies.

I think that Tough_guy22 is probably right about the Battle Frontier in that anything in there has to have more than one because sometimes you have one in your possession at the same time someone sends one out against you. I don't know about all the ones being banned being one of a kind though since they're really only banned for their power and having a lot of power doesn't make you the only one of your species.

I get tired of people who say that Arceus is god as if he is supposed to be a replica of the one from Christianity. There can be more than one Arceus. Just because an Arceus may or may not have formed the universe doesn't mean that he never died or had babies.

This is assuming we're not talking in terms of the game, then? The rest of your post would seem to imply that... in terms of the game, there'd seem to be only one Arceus out and about.

But anyhow, regardless of whether Arceus represents the Christian God, creator deities just don't come in multiples all that often. They don't have a tendency to, y'know, die either. At the moment, there's no particular reason to suppose there's another Arceus out there.

Babies, I suppose, are a possibility. It's kind of up-in-the-air. Possible, but not probable... probably.

Given the nature of Arceus, I think that, like Groudon, Kyogre, and all the other catastrophe-level legendaries (at present, anyways), Arceus is intended to be one-of-a-kind. No trainers showing up with it like with Darkrai, at any rate.

only ones I would consider one of a kind are Mewtwo, Suicune, Entei, and Raikou. Mewtwo is a single clone of mew, and the beasts were born when 3 pokemon were resurrected by ho-oh at brass tower.

There is the possibility that they can reproduce, although not in the normal way.

only ones I would consider one of a kind are Mewtwo, Suicune, Entei, and Raikou. Mewtwo is a single clone of mew, and the beasts were born when 3 pokemon were resurrected by ho-oh at brass tower.

There is the possibility that they can reproduce, although not in the normal way.

The Beast Trio isn't one of a kind... you can't catc a trio of them in Kanto, Johto and Orre. I doubt that they are the same pokemon. plus Entei's pokedex entry 'A entei is born everytime a volcano erupts' makes it sound like there are a few of them

The Beast, Bird and Regi Trio are 'Lesser Legends'

The Weather Dragon and Lake Trio are far to powerful to be more then one of them (Not counting the HG/SS event)

Arceus is a creater deity of the world and for the most part there is only one of them in a mythos

Phione and MAnaphy are obviously not one of a kind due to the fact the MAnaphy can be bred in mass while Phoine I think the Dex entry mentions more then one.

Celibi is tricky. Mew is the mother of all pokemon plus in the anime at least there is at least two Mew's

With the tower Duo The anime shows a Lugia baby so more then likely Ho-oh can have them to

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom