• A new LGBTQ+ forum is now being trialed and there have been changes made to the Support and Advice forum. To read more about these updates, click here.
  • Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Legendaries are One of it's Kind?

Versityle

Reaction score
Just wondering, and if anyone else was wondering the same, out of all the 35 Legendary Pokemon there are thus far, which ones do we still suspect to be more than one? The games and anime usually confuse us as there seems to be multiple regis and how Palmer and the player seem to own a Cressilia and Heatran at once. I've broken it down to three categories:

Likely One of its Kind:
Mewtwo
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Jirachi
Uxie
Mesprit
Azelf
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Arceus

Likely to Breed:
Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Mew
Raikou
Entei
Suciune
Phione

Unsure: (Note that the anime has shown more than one of these species do you think they are correct? The games and pokedex entries often imply there is just one)
Lugia
Celebi
Regirock
Regice
Registeel
Latios
Latias
Deoxys
Heatran
Regigigas
Cressilia
Darkrai
Manaphy
Shaymin

All I would want to know is the last category. Which category do think each belong?

EDIT* Sorry I put this topic in the wrong page. Can someone move to Pokemon World please?

Last edited:
So the wrong section.

I think Lugia, like Ho-oh, is one of a kind. Celebi may have more, but I doubt it. The others, yeah their may be more than one.

This conversation belongs in the Pokémon Games forum, NOT the Soap Box.

EDIT: Much better. Thanks Archaic :)

Anyway, I think maybe Ho-Oh, Lugia, Kyogre, Groudon, and RayQuaza are the only ones of their kind. As far as design goes anyway. Celebi and Shaymin are too similar, Mew and Jirachi, are too similar, the Regis, oh, I forgot about Cresselia. She's one of a kind too.

Last edited:
The only one we know for sure is Mewtwo, all the other might, but I think the weather trio, the dragon trio and Arceus along whit Mewtwo are the only one there's only one of.

This conversation belongs in the Pokémon Games forum
Why not pokemon world? Its about more than games, anime applies too, in fact, moreso

Celebi may have more, but I doubt it

In Pokemon4Ever there were lots of Celebi in it when the one Ash was holding looked like it was dying, I doubt they were the same celebi. Also since Lugia had a baby in anime too, I'd say its not one of a kind.

Also if we are going by anime, there are more than one Shaymin about.

The only one we know for sure is Mewtwo, all the other might, but I think the weather trio, the dragon trio and Arceus along whit Mewtwo are the only one there's only one of.

lake trio as well.

I think there's very few Pokémon that are actually unique, including legendaries.

The only ones that seem like they ought to be unique are Mewtwo, the Regis, Kyogre, Groudon and all the legendaries in D/P/Pt excluding Heatran, Manaphy and Shaymin.

Mewtwo is definitely one of a kind because it probably wasn't made to breed and is a man-made Pokémon.
The Regis, I think, are also man-made golems.
Kyogre and Groudon are a bit iffy, but they're basically regional deities, so...
The pixies trio are sort of... you know... individual ladies of the lake, so to speak. I doubt there would be colonies of them in the lakes.
Palkia, Dialga and Giratina have far too great a power for there to be more than one of them, though at the same time it's possible to create more than one in-game... hmm.
Arceus is also iffy but less so than the above three. It all depends on whether you believe the monotheistic view or the polytheistic view.

Manaphy has been shown to breed - I personally believe there'd be colonies of Phione dotted around the oceans led by a few Manaphy.
Heatran was programmed with a gender, and considering there's more than one volcano in the world I believe there's more than one Heatran. It's even possible that several live in every volcano, but you only ever see one at a time because they make themselves scarce.
I would believe there to be entire fields of Shaymin somewhere, it certainly doesn't seem a powerful enough Pokémon for there to only be one.

So the wrong section.

I think Lugia, like Ho-oh, is one of a kind. Celebi may have more, but I doubt it. The others, yeah their may be more than one.

Lugia is not one of a kind. There was an episode where there was a lugia and it's baby and Ash and that other trainer .. with the pickachu had to save the baby and it's mother from team rocket.

Well, let's see, which ones are not one of it's kind?

Mew
Zapdos
Articuno
Moltres
Lugia
Celebi (could be one, could be time clones, hard to tell).
Regirock, Regice, Registeel
Latias, Latios
Deoxys
Manaphy, Phione
Heatran
Shyamin

Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina are one of a kind, but Arceus can create more of them at will.

I think the only one that's one-of-a-kind is Mewtwo. I think there are probably multiple occurrences of every other species (including Arceus), and that they're merely very widely spread apart.

Well, here's my opinion of who's one of a kind.

Mewtwo
Reirock
Regice
Registeel
Uxie
Mesprit
Azelf
Dialga
Palkia
Giratina
Regigigas
Arceus

Mewtwo and the Regis trio were all man-made, so it is likely that there is only one of each. The Sinnoh trios and Arceus seem to have a LOT of evidence suggesting there is only one of each.

Here's my opinion on legendaries that almost definately have others in their species:

Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres
Mew
Raikou
Entei
Suicune
Celebi
Latios
Latias
Jirachi
Deoxys
Manaphy
Shaymin

That leaves:

Lugia
Ho-oh
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Cresellia
Darkrai
Heatrtan

I think that despite all of the legends revolving around these pokemon, there MAY be others of thier species. None of the legends explicitly states that there is only one of each, but suggests it, which shows that they may just be rarities.

Lugia is not one of a kind. There was an episode where there was a lugia and it's baby and Ash and that other trainer .. with the pickachu had to save the baby and it's mother from team rocket.

that's anime. We're in the video games section.

that's anime. We're in the video games section.

not to be rude but that's only because a mod moved it. We don't know if the creator of this thread meant in the Pokemon universe or just the games.

I think the only one that's one-of-a-kind is Mewtwo. I think there are probably multiple occurrences of every other species (including Arceus), and that they're merely very widely spread apart.

I have to agree with Rellik think that Mewtwo is the only one of a kind Pokemon in either the anime or games.

Well, I'm going by the official canon which implies that Lugia, like Ho-oh, is one of a kind.

Well, I'm going by the official canon which implies that Lugia, like Ho-oh, is one of a kind.

The official canon makes no such implication. While it's true that the legends and myths presented in the Johto games seem to be referring to a specific, individual member of these species, that in no way means that it's implying that those individuals are one of a kind.

The official canon makes no such implication. While it's true that the legends and myths presented in the Johto games seem to be referring to a specific, individual member of these species, that in no way means that it's implying that those individuals are one of a kind.

that may be how you interpret it. I see it differently.

I wish I had the quote from it...

I could have sworn that when playing one of the newer generation games, one of the NPCs eluded to Rayquaza being one of a few that patrol the outer part of the world.

All of the 'main' legendaries. Lugia, Ho-oh, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza, Palkia, Dialga, and Giratina. They all have power beyond belief and have been stated to lived as far back as the beginning of the Pokemon universe.

Also, it's a pretty safe bet that Mewtwo and Arceus are one-of-a-kind.
Mewtwo being man-made and made only once and Arceus being actual God of the Pokemon world.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom