• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Legendaries are One of it's Kind?

I'm rather conservative in this area: only Mewtwo and Arceus, and maybe its little clique (Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Mesprit, Uxie, Azelf). And if it later turns out that it's possible for the Arceus-related legendaries to not be one-of-a-kind, then so be it.

Also, how does the game canon make Lugia out to be a single-member species? What about XD001? I doubt that's the same Lugia from the Whirl Islands.

I think it's only Mewtwo, the rest are only guesses based off of Legends. Like Raikou, Entei, and Suicune could be 1 as told in the legend, but I believe there was at least 2 Suicune, the one in the Celebi movie and the one that looked Shiny in the TV series.

According to how I'm looking at it, there is no one-of-a-kind Pokémon. The folklore and the rarity of certain species speak for unique Pokémon, but five Arceus sitting next to each other in a PC box beg to differ.

Again, we are in the video game section so only video game facts count.

Now, I'm amending me theory a bit. Mewtwo and Arceus for sure, the lake trio for sure, not the dragon trio. After all, there is that event to make a second one.

Then the weather trio. Then Lugia and Ho-oh and the beasts.

Let's say anime and video games and whatever the hell those paper-picture-things are (bukes? Büks?) can all have a place here, but given the fact that they are separate universes, they need separate lists. Hell, even the movies and the show seem to exist in different universes (the Lugia issue is what I'm referring to).

For the most part I agree with the general gist of what the rest of you schmoes are saying, but I just wanted to point out some weirdnesses.

WEIRDNESS ONE: The plot of the gold/silver games seems to imply that the Legendary Catdogs are unique—they died, were brought back to life, and are now running around, being pursued by you or a man in a cape. In the same games, though, Pokedex entries (Entei's, at least) suggest there's more than one. At the same time, other Pokedex entries (again, Entei's) suggest that there's only one.

... I forgot the other weirdness. It's early.

I think the only legendaries set in stone, in every incantation of the series at least, to be one of their kind are Mewtwo and Arceus.

We already know of the existence of multiple Lugia, Celebi, Latios, Jirachi and Phione, as we've seen them in the anime and their respective movies.

Also, as you can get an extra Dialga, Palkia or Giratina in HGSS, which happens at the same time as DPt, it could be seen as evidence as there being more than one of them. Also, if Arceus can create any of these three, I can't see why it shouldn't be able to create any others of the lake trio.

I think the only legendaries set in stone, in every incantation of the series at least, to be one of their kind are Mewtwo and Arceus.

We already know of the existence of multiple Lugia, Celebi, Latios, Jirachi and Phione, as we've seen them in the anime and their respective movies.

Also, as you can get an extra Dialga, Palkia or Giratina in HGSS, which happens at the same time as DPt, it could be seen as evidence as there being more than one of them. Also, if Arceus can create any of these three, I can't see why it shouldn't be able to create any others of the lake trio.

:( all this confusion ~ I wish they would address this somehow. Afaik a "Legendary" is just… a "legendary" pokémon not "one of a kind" -- but at the same time the lore and stuff surrounding them make it difficult to understand how more than one could exist. Why could there be > 1 dialga or palkia? Doesn't this destroy balance when theres > 1 "ruler" of space or time?

The baby lugia episode is kindof :/ ~ cause you cant even breed lugia in-game. So what does this mean… you can breed them but you'd prolly need something to give/attach lugia to breed with da ditto ~ but they're genderless… how does this work?!
:bawling::-(

In Destiny Deoxys there is two Deoxys so there is no way it is one-of-a-kind. Also in Destiny Deoxys, Professor Lund (or it may have been someone else) says that Rayquaza tend to stay in Earth's atmosphere, they fact they used the singular form of 'tend' implies there may be more than one, or maybe I'm just over-thinking this.

well, considering that that was only the dub, the japanese don't have a plural form of anything, and a pokemon's name is both plural and singular, that doesn't mean much.

But again, the movies and anime can change what they want and stuff. That doesn't exactly mean they are correct. I mean, with some of them it's very likely there are more. Others not so much. If Lugia is Ho-oh's counterpart, why is it there can be more lugia but not more ho-oh?

I think it's more like...

Likely One of its Kind:

Mewtwo
Created by science. Not likely to breed. Possibly could breed with a Mew.

Ho-oh
Lugia

Play important roles in nature. More than one could result in imbalance.

Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza

Played important roles in nature. More than one could result in imbalance.

Jirachi
It's implied that it's a special Pokemon. I can't exactly explain what I mean.

Uxie
Mesprit
Azelf

Played important roles in the development of humans. More than one could cause imbalance.

Dialga
Palkia
Giratina

Play important regulatory roles in time, space, and the Distortion world.

Arceus
More than one Arceus would throw off the whole story of Dialga, Palkia, and Giratina.

Raikou
Entei
Suciune

Raikou, Entei, and Suicune were resurrected from the Tin Tower and were therefor the only one of their species.

Celebi
Seen more than once in the movie due to time travel. Implying that there is only one Celebi, but it's able to visit itself.

Regirock
Regice
Registeel

Created by Regigigas, therefor the only one of its species.

Deoxys
One of a kind. Sort of like Mewtwo in that it was a recently-born Pokemon, but is the only one of its kind.

Regigigas
I don't see how there could be more than one. He created the Regis.

Cressilia
Darkrai

Represent the New Moon and the Crescent Moon. Not much I can say about them.

Likely to Breed:

Articuno
Zapdos
Moltres

Conflicting. Pokemon 2000 Sort of implies that there's only one guarding each island, but Prof. Oak implies that there's more than one in Pokemon Platinum.

Mew
Mew is often referred to as a species rather than a single Pokemon.

Heatran
In Arceus and the Jewel of Life, Heatran plays a very small role. It seems as though there's more than one and that they used to be more abundant long ago.

Shaymin
Referred to as a species.

Latios
Latias

Live in herds, according to the Pokedex entry.

Manaphy
No clue.

Not a Legendary:

Phione

Last edited:
AW that's AWESOME. All Celebi are one Celebi, just at different points in its personal timeline.

I think it's more like...
Latios
Latias

Not much I can say. I haven't seen the movie they appear in, but apparently they're just reborn every once in a while.

Well in Latias's Gen III pokedex entries, it says they live in small herds consisting of several Latias. I think this is likewise with Latios.

To everybody thinking there is more than one Arceus... LOL. You really think that there would be two pokemon in existence when Arceus is practically pokegod!?

Also, I think there is only one Manaphy in existence at a time, and the reason it comes in an egg is that the parent Manaphy dies once it lays the egg.

If Arceus is pretty much a god (assuming the legends are actually accurate and not exaggerated over time, like myths and legends often are), that doesn't mean there can't be more.

It's not unusual for a 'god' to be just an extremly powerful being with unusual powers, from a species from a higher plane of existence. That's how I view all god-like beings (the Q being like that probably has something to do with that).

Last edited:
Lugia is definatly one of a kind.

How? The anime disagree whit you, but I'll shut up before Ryuu come by.

I have reconsider and think that there might be more of all legendaries but Mewtwo.

Articuno, Zapdos, Moltres, Ho-oh, Lugia, Raikou, Entei, Suciune, Latios, Latias, Regirock, Regice, Registeel, Regigigas, Manaphy, Heatran, Shaymin, Cressilia, Darkrai are just very rare and powerful but are in fact not different from other Pokemon, they are just much stronger than the average Pokemon.

Mew is the ancestor of all Pokemon and there should by definition be many of them, but they most of them have evolved (Darwin evolution, not the Pokemon definition) to better suit their new environment.

Deoxys is an alien, I see no legitimate reason why there should only be one.

Jirachi is supposed to show itself once every thousand year, so there might exist an huge amount of them in their own dimension.

Celebi is a timetraveler so if it is the same or not, that is really irrelevant, that means that there are as many as it want to be.

Arceus might be only one, but not necessarily, there could easily be more than one Arceus that shaped the universe, maybe they created one planet each or something, but I really don't know.

Uxie, Mesprit, Azelf, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Kyogre, Groudon, Rayquaza are likely to be more than one, the way I see it after Arceuses created the world Dialgas, Palkias and Giratinas created/was created to control time, space and antimatter. It's just too much for three Pokemon to control all space, time and antimatter, however I think that there are an equal number of Giratinas, Palikas and Dialgas.

When the earth was created it was a boiling lava ball (assuming that the Pokeworld was created the same way as our world) then Rayquazas come and cooled the earth by creating an atmosphere then Kyogres cooled it even further by making it rain, then Groudons was created to make land and form the world, and when there was no use for them, all the Groudons and Kyogres was sent to sleep deep underground/-water and the Rayquazas lives many hundred kilometers up in the atmosphere so you are not likely to see one any day soon.

The lake guardians, I really don't know, but that they have so much power is just too much, I think that there are more, but that they are few spread all over the world, having all 3 so close is just.. dumb IMO.

It all really depends on weather you look at pokemon from a scientific or mythological way. For exhample, you could see Arceus as God, father of all things living, or a creature capable of reproducing asexually, also capable of giving birth to many different species by extracting certain genetic codes from its DNA.

Please note: The thread is from 14 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom