• Hey Trainers! Be sure to check out Corsola Beach, our newest section on the forums, in partnership with our friends at Corsola Cove! At the Beach, you can discuss the competitive side of the games, post your favorite Pokemon memes, and connect with other Pokemon creators!
  • Due to the recent changes with Twitter's API, it is no longer possible for Bulbagarden forum users to login via their Twitter account. If you signed up to Bulbagarden via Twitter and do not have another way to login, please contact us here with your Twitter username so that we can get you sorted.

Which Main Series Games do YOU personally think had the best story?

pokepal_123

Reaction score
This thread is basically about which game you thought had the best story, to me personally BW had the best stories by far especially with the epic twist in the story at the league and N was a great, refreshing character overall.

So which games do you guys think had the best story?

B2W2. It followed the routine plot a lotmore then BW, mostly the endgame at leadt,but to get there it had the same dynamics and plot threading that BW did. It felt like a hybrid between the two styles, and having a Pokemon as an actual boss that cannot be caught till the post league, with a miniquest to actually be able to, that stuff was magic.
Okay, maybe its not entirely routine. Starting off in a city, the lab is a post league thing, there was a lot more sideplot stuf, but B2W2 was a much more by the books Pokemon game then BW. You started off with one rival,Plasma was not around as much as they were, and the overall plot of capturing pokemon to control the world was a step down from the philosopical question of morals. But it was the best damn remix of classic Pokemon,and still is.

I'd say Gen 4 or 5 had the best stories, in my opinion.
Moreso Platinum in regards to Gen 4. It built upon Cyrus some more, and introduced the Distortion World, which gave more insight into what would happen if Cyrus was successful in his plans.
Gen 5, all the games had pretty good stories, at least for the Pokemon series. Characters that had story arks (Bianca becoming independent, Cheren pondering why exactly he wants to be the very best, like no one ever was), a plot line that almost seemed like more than the typical, "Bad guy wants to rule the world, because!" (The "plot twist" at the end of B&W, not withstanding.) And since Black and White got sequels, it all seemed a little more fleshed out. Not to a great extent, but again, for a Pokemon game, it's the most we've ever really gotten.

This thread basically belongs to Black & White.

I think BW stands unmatched to this day.

1. For its "fresh" take on the Pokemon journey. I mean, the standard Pokedex/Badge Quest/Evil Team/Pokemon League stuff was still there, but sending the kids off into the world for self discovery and tying our villains to the League journey gave such a wonderful illusion that I didn't care to notice. It was so much more engaging because of how story driven things were.

2. For the main plot and dilemma surrounding N. The validity and ethics of the Pokemon/Human relationship has always been sort of a special topic within the franchise, and seeing them formally address it the way they did through N made for something really...I guess, meaningful, because of that...

3. For the characters. Both rivals were surprisingly relatable and noteworthy in their developments throughout the game. Gym Leaders were infinitely more active and involved than any group before or after, on top of having more personality. Ghetsis is that mastermind that you love to hate. And of course there's N, perhaps one of the deepest and most interesting characters we've had due to his background and growth.

I will have to say Black & White, with the sequels to a lesser extend, mainly because it built upon the story and fleshed out some characters with its continuation. I like that it questioned the morals of capturing Pokemon and having them battle. It was refreshing to see the plot take a different route, with the League not being the end goal. I enjoyed N's character a lot, he was pretty complex, especially for Pokemon's standards. Having the Gym Leaders be active and help out was one thing I really loved and was very sad to see their lack of involvement in X&Y. I pretty much agree with what the posters before me have said about B&W.

However, to be frank, I think X&Y's story had the potential to be as good as B&W's (or maybe even better, depending on opinions), but unfortunately the execution was really poor. The concept was good, but wasted. I hope the will fix that in the next entry (which most people speculate to be Z), but I won't hold my breath. I enjoyed Gen IV's story a lot, too, especially in Platinum. When I had to climb Mt.Coronet and run through the snow, hurrying to stop Cyrus from potentially destroying the world, was a very memorable experience to me. That along with the Team Galactic's attempt to destroy the Lakes, and having my two buddies help me with it, and of course everything about the Distortion World was fantastic.

Still, the most memorable story for me is Gen III. Part of it was because I was still 11 or so, and at that age a lot of things seem a lot cooler than they really are. The fact that we had two villain teams (especially in Emerald) was simply amazing to me back then. The build up to the Legendary Pokemon battle(s) was really cool, and I'm glad ORAS made it even better. In fact, I could probably place ORAS as the Pokemon (main) game with the best story (along with B&W) right now, but I can't really tell whether ORAS really was that good or I'm being extremely biased. I can't really help it, Sapphire (and Emerald to lesser extent) hold my best memories as a Pokemon fan. My love for Hoenn, its characters, its pokemon, its lore and its story is huge, and I will be forever biased about it.

On another note, I know Pokemon main game stories aren't "all that great" if we are to compare them to other games, but for what the games are, I think the stories are, at the very least, nice.... or perhaps, I'm simply too much of a Pokemon fan and I love them, regardless of how poor they are. Picking a Pokemon and starting a journey to become the very best (like no one ever was), fighting bad guys along the way, exploring and catching new friends just never gets old to me.

Last edited:
Most definitely Pokémon Black/Pokémon White. They set the bar high. I mean, actual villains raising actual legit questions concerning the ethics of catching Pokémon and making them battle, the very foundation of this franchise.

A very refreshing plot.

Gonna have to agree with a lot of people. Black and White had the strongest story, in my opinion. That said, I was impressed with ORAS and its ability to make me feel like the Pokemon world had an extensive backstory that actually mattered enough to connect them to X/Y.

Black and White, as many have said, is obviously the best story. Black 2 and White 2 is also great. While it still is a simple plot, it was really nice, and I hope Pokemon goes out of its comfort zone more for Generation 7, although X and Y's garbage story worries me.

Oh please, we all know that Red and Blue were the best stories of all. lol no

Black and White are the best by far, for all the reasons everyone else has stated. My favorite quality about it, however, is the fact that the actual climax of the story doesn't come until the end of the game. It completely averted the thing I disliked the most about DPPt's story (the best part happens before you even get your eighth badge) and gave me a very good reason to make haste to the Pokemon League for once. And it didn't end with beating a champion and getting in the Hall of Fame... instead, you assault a castle, befriend a dragon, defeat the champion, and then defeat the champion's superior!

Well, I think it actually depends what you are looking for in a Pokemon game.

For me, a storyline has to be really of my taste, to actually like it, in stead of doing it out of obligation (in order to reach the endgame content).

The only games where I actually really enjoyed the main game plot are: OR/AS and Johto games (both the original and the remakes).

Silver was my first game, and I absolutey loved the fact that the story is centered more around YOUR JOURNEY, than around you interrupting your journey to save the world from the bad guys. I liked how you actually get to PREVENT the reuniting of Team Rocket, not preventing the destruction of the world. You basically stop them before they have even started. Maybe it is because it was my first game, but I liked that it didn´t distract me from becomming the Champion and getting toknow Pokemon in a friendly way. (By the way, I interrupted Silver somwhere in the middle, to play Blue, so when I reached Kanto in Silver´s postgame, the story made sense to me, as I visited the original Kanto first)

However, I am concious that this formula wouldn´t work twice in a row. It is great as a player-friendly introduction to the games, but if the next game was the same way, it most surely would become boring. So it was obvious that future games, had to get increasingly more challenging, with bigger threats to stop.

And that´s why OR/AS is my absolute favourite plot, and the only story that I actually felt excited for.

It is brilliantly executed, and the idea of clash of forces: Land vs Sea, is just a classic. It just felt to me more immersive and exciting than any other plot. I felt especially excited when travelling the sea during the heavy rain. It was a mix of excitement, danger, and responsability to save the day. Andthe addition of the "Primordial" concept made it even better. Also the Delta Episodeis a completely different story, with different Pokemon involved, so you actually get TWO plots in one game, and both are at the same level of quality imo, and most importantly,they complement each other.

So, why not Black and White, wich is obviously the most generally aclaimed Plot?

Because I like the TRADITIONAL Pokemon formula, and unlike many fans, I like it that way and didn´t like how different B/W felt and how much it modified said formula. Actually, I still like it, but I think B/W tried to overcomplicate things. It questioned the basics of the actual game, like capturing Pokemon. And, while I see why they did it, I didn´t enjoy said approach... It tried to be like a philosophy class, andI don´t think that benefits it.

Other than that, it was great too! I really love the mythology and the Tao Dragon trio concept.

And I think Xerneas is awesome, but the plot in X didn´t make it enough justice.

Last edited:
And that´s why OR/AS is my absolute favourite plot, and the only story that I actually felt excited for.

It is brilliantly executed, and the idea of clash of forces: Land vs Sea, is just a classic. It just felt to me more immersive and exciting than any other plot. I felt especially excited when travelling the sea during the heavy rain. It was a mix of excitement, danger, and responsability to save the day. Andthe addition of the "Primordial" concept made it even better. Also the Delta Episodeis a completely different story, with different Pokemon involved, so you actually get TWO plots in one game, and both are at the same level of quality imo, and most importantly,they complement each other.

So, why not Black and White, wich is obviously the most generally aclaimed Plot?

Because I like the TRADITIONAL Pokemon formula, and unlike many fans, I like it that way and didn´t like how different B/W felt and how much it modified said formula. Actually, I still like it, but I think B/W tried to overcomplicate things. It questioned the basics of the actual game, like capturing Pokemon. And, while I see why they did it, I didn´t enjoy said approach... It tried to be like a philosophy class, andI don´t think that benefits it.

Other than that, it was great too! I really love the mythology and the Tao Dragon trio concept.

Other than that, I think Xerneas is awesome, but the plot in X didn´t make it enough justice.

ORAS had a copy and paste storyline with altered details. Delta episode was pitiful and isn't really a plot or story at all. It basically had the worse of gen 6 and of other games. HGSS were good however and the story was amazing. I would have to go with BW and BW2 story because they were original and fantastic. So BW and BW2 had the best story of the pokemon series as well as the best post game. HGSS also had a good post game but not ORAS.

Other than that, I think Xerneas is awesome, but the plot in X didn´t make it enough justice.

ORAS had a copy and paste storyline with altered details. Delta episode was pitiful and isn't really a plot or story at all. It basically had the worse of gen 6 and of other games. HGSS were good however and the story was amazing. I would have to go with BW and BW2 story because they were original and fantastic. So BW and BW2 had the best story of the pokemon series as well as the best post game. HGSS also had a good post game but not ORAS.
I respect your point of view about ORAS, but I think you are starting to repeat yourself, as you are ALWAYS saying how bad it is.

But I think it is one of the very best games EVER, and, for some reason (don't know why) I tend to trust my own opinion more than yours.
So, no matter how many times you repeat it is a bad game, I will still disagree with you.

Also, why are you talking about post game? This thread is about THE PLOT, not about postgame content.

Last edited:
Pokemon Black and White.

I just loved how it didn't pull the typical stops of the previous Pokemon games. At first I didn't like N and I thought Team Plasma was laughable at best, but by the end of the game, you realize they are not messing around and really mean business. N being used by Ghetsis... I mean, the guy was such a major asshole that I don't think it will be possible to top him unless Game Freak creates a character who kills whoever he's using on-screen, and I would not want that to happen in a franchise like this! Ghetsis was an unsympathetic character from the start. There's nothing redeeming about him and I didn't think GF would ever create a character like that for one of their main games. Don't get me started on thinking you'd be going to fight the Elite Four! Instead, you get to face Team Plasma in their gigantic castle! Pretty sweet! I love these game!

I have to agree with most everyone: Black and White was the best in terms of story. Everything seemed so much more realistic and not so generic compared to other titles. Sure the whole badge quest and E4 thing was there, but it was a much fresher take on it. For starters, N was probably one of the deepest characters I have ever seen in a Pokemon game. His views on morals in this monster catching/battling world was quite a change of pace. He made you wonder if all this catching and battling was actually for the Pokemon's benefit or for the humans' benefit. At first you thought that Team Plasma was just like any other bad guy team, but they didn't mess around, especially near the end. Plus, all this time, Ghetsis was lying through his teeth to even N, purposely sending N down that path in order to gain what he, himself, wanted, not what N wanted. He had no redeeming qualities at all, which, I must admit, after dealing with Cyrus' nature, which was fleshed out more in Platinum, was quite the sharp jolt, considering they were Pokemon games. Also, not only did we get two rivals in these games, but they were very realistic. Bianca was unsure of what she wanted, so becoming a Trainer allowed her to find what her goal would be. While Cheren was only interested in becoming the best but eventually realized that power alone does very little for one's future. Both matured as they traveled, learning what was really important and what mattered to them most of all. Not to mention the Gym Leaders were far more involved in the plot than just figureheads you duke it out with at one point or another. And the most interesting twist was that your quest didn't end at the E4 challenge, as N beats you to it, so you have to beat Team Plasma in their castle before you can even challenge the Champion for the first time. So BW was by far had the best story of all.

For me it's Gen. 4 personally, especially Platinum with the Distortion World and more build up with Cyrus and Team Galactic. BW also had a really great story as well, especially with the sequels B2/W2.

I respect your point of view about ORAS, but I think you are starting to repeat yourself, as you are ALWAYS saying how bad it is.

But I think it is one of the very best games EVER, and, for some reason (don't know why) I tend to trust my own opinion more than yours.
So, no matter how many times you repeat it is a bad game, I will still disagree with you.

Also, why are you talking about post game? This thread is about THE PLOT, not about postgame content.

The best ones, for now is Black/White and ORAS. I will not explain because would be repeating what others have said

ORAS is a good revamp, the fact of being a remake dont make a better or worse plot. I just dont know what one thing has to do with the other :sweat:
I particularly think RSE features are much better than ORAS, but the plot, characters and pacing of the last one is more flowed.

Following this pattern, Pearl and Diamond remakes has a huge potential to be one of the most epic plots of Pokemon.

Last edited:
B/W/2. They're the only games that really focused on plot (in the main series anyway, we also have the PMD and Ranger plots).

On a slightly different road, I can't deny that I shed some masculine tears with the whole Pokemon Trainer AZ sidestory.

BW/B2W2, for the reasons that everybody has already gone over.

That said, ORAS had some fantastic character writing and would easily be my second-favorite. I don't like RSE, but ORAS cleaned it up and retooled it very nicely.

Although, to give some credit to the underdogs, in recent years I have really come to love the simplicity of the Kanto/Johto stories. So I actually think that those would come in at third place.

The rest is all kinda bleh to me.

Please note: The thread is from 9 years ago.
Please take the age of this thread into consideration in writing your reply. Depending on what exactly you wanted to say, you may want to consider if it would be better to post a new thread instead.
Back
Top Bottom